Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: National Gun Violence Awareness Day

  1. #1
    Regular Member wrearick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Posts
    635

    National Gun Violence Awareness Day

    Looks like 2 June 2016 has been chosen as a Rally day by Moms Demand Action. They are calling for the wearing of bright orange shirts. Locally in Virginia Beach, the gathering is planned for 6:30 PM at Mount Trashmore. According to the facebook sign up page (https://www.facebook.com/events/1327426773951333/) , 4 people are currently planning on attending.

    Here is the link for events throughout Virginia. https://www.facebook.com/MomsDemandA...=page_internal

  2. #2
    Regular Member scouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,233
    Richmond's is at a brewery. So we're going to have all these moms getting drunk and driving their dangerous cars home. Someone should call M.A.D.D. about all these mad moms
    JFT 96

    I'm sorry, did I offend you with my opinion?
    You should hear the ones I keep to myself.

    Porthos, Athos, and Aramis = peter nap, skidmark and Grapeshot, d'Artagnan = ?

  3. #3
    Regular Member wrearick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    Richmond's is at a brewery. So we're going to have all these moms getting drunk and driving their dangerous cars home. Someone should call M.A.D.D. about all these mad moms
    Agreed! You can't make this stuff up!

  4. #4
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    Richmond's is at a brewery. So we're going to have all these moms getting drunk and driving their dangerous cars home. Someone should call M.A.D.D. about all these mad moms
    CDC statistics say that twice as many people die each year from the abuse and misuse of alcohol than are killed with the use of a firearm.

    TFred

  5. #5
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    From the Moms Demand Action Facebook page:

    "Join us to turn Richmond Orange! All members and friends are invited to Hardywood Brewery for Gun Violence Awareness Day -- come decked out in orange and learn how you can take action in Virginia."

    LOLROF - What's so darned funny is we and the VCDL have already turned Richmond and Virginia orange time and time again with Guns SAVE Lives stickers, buttons, shirts, and hats. Orange is the color typically associated with GSL things.

    Apparently Moms Demand Action do not represent the sharpest tacks in the box or the brightest bulbs in the chandelier. They might have done better to select lime green as their color - would have matched their disposition better too.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 05-27-2016 at 10:31 PM. Reason: fixed
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Lynchburg
    Posts
    591
    I think they did that because of the notice they think they get and can capitalize on the GSL stickers. As well as the blaze orange hunting attire requirements.

    I guess they think-- oohh, people see orange, they will demand action like we want!

    Nemo

  7. #7
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Va_Nemo View Post
    I think they did that because of the notice they think they get and can capitalize on the GSL stickers. As well as the blaze orange hunting attire requirements.

    I guess they think-- oohh, people see orange, they will demand action like we want!

    Nemo
    The tried that before at Lobby Day - it backfired on them. There were so many of us and so few of them that they appeared to be supporting what we were promoting.



    https://www.vcdl.org/Photo-Albums
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    If anyone does to go to any of the Mad Mom's rallies, I strongly recommend that you have GSL stickers on your front, back, and shoulders so that a selective camera angle cannot make you look like part of their group.

    This shirt available from the VCDL store solves that problem - it's double sided.


    https://vcdl-gear.myshopify.com/
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 05-27-2016 at 11:01 PM. Reason: fixed & added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  9. #9
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    If anyone does to go to any of the Mad Mom's rallies, I strongly recommend that you have GSL stickers on your front, back, and shoulders so that a selective camera angle cannot make you look like part of their group.
    What's the opposite of orange?

    TFred

    ETA: Apparently the answer is BLUE!! So bright blue shirts with bright orange GSL stickers would seem to be in order!

    Last edited by TFred; 05-27-2016 at 10:57 PM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    If anyone does to go to any of the Mad Mom's rallies, I strongly recommend that you have GSL stickers on your front, back, and shoulders so that a selective camera angle cannot make you look like part of their group.

    This shirt available from the VCDL store solves that problem - it's double sided.


    https://vcdl-gear.myshopify.com/
    Ha ha ha, this is even better! Reminds me of a story years ago by a group called Protest Warriors. They were noted for making "protest" signs, but with a twist. Their first was, for example, something like "Communism has only killed 100,000,000 people, let's give it another chance!"

    They would make these signs and go to crazy liberal protest events and blend right in. Once in a while someone would read their actual sign and be like "Cool. What? Wait!" :-)

    Wearing this shirt to one of these events would probably yield similar results.

    TFred

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Lynchburg
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Wearing this shirt to one of these events would probably yield similar results.

    TFred

    Wear a shirt like that and those ladies will run your out of their park with a broomhandle.

    Nemo

  12. #12
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Va_Nemo View Post
    Wear a shirt like that and those ladies will run your out of their park with a broomhandle.

    Nemo
    Then thar critters may be female, but I doubt that they are ladies.

    If the owner/manager of the establishment asks us to leave, we will immediately comply.......but the sidewalk and street outside are public thoroughfares.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Lynchburg
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Then thar critters may be female, but I doubt that they are ladies.
    Well, I will give them benefit of the doubt on being ladies. Maybe not Southern Ladies. I learned the difference in my few years in Ga.

    Nemo

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blessyourheart.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	13120
    Last edited by Va_Nemo; 05-28-2016 at 12:09 AM.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Davis County, Utah
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by wrearick View Post
    Looks like 2 June 2016 has been chosen as a Rally day by Moms Demand Action. They are calling for the wearing of bright orange shirts. Locally in Virginia Beach, the gathering is planned for 6:30 PM at Mount Trashmore. According to the facebook sign up page (https://www.facebook.com/events/1327426773951333/) , 4 people are currently planning on attending.

    Here is the link for events throughout Virginia. https://www.facebook.com/MomsDemandA...=page_internal
    So, June 2....a Thursday.

    Probably done on purpose so those who have actual jobs won't be able to attend a counter-protest.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Lynchburg
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by b0neZ View Post
    So, June 2....a Thursday.

    Probably done on purpose so those who have actual jobs won't be able to attend a counter-protest.

    No problems with OC at that mountain is there? That could be their location determining factor. Don't want protest competition with guns around.

    I would get a shirt, make a sign and go but 200 miles each way? Not this time.

    Nemo

  16. #16
    Regular Member wrearick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by Va_Nemo View Post
    No problems with OC at that mountain is there? That could be their location determining factor. Don't want protest competition with guns around.

    I would get a shirt, make a sign and go but 200 miles each way? Not this time.

    Nemo
    NO problem with OC at Mount Trashmore. I OC there all the time walking the dogs around the lake.
    Understand not wanting to travel 200 miles to support. If you check out the link in post #1 you may find there is a rally being held closer to you that could benefit from your attendance.

    keep alert

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Lynchburg
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by wrearick View Post
    NO problem with OC at Mount Trashmore. I OC there all the time walking the dogs around the lake.
    Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by wrearick View Post
    Understand not wanting to travel 200 miles to support. If you check out the link in post #1 you may find there is a rally being held closer to you that could benefit from your attendance.

    keep alert
    BT DT NJ. or Been There, Done That, No Joy

    Va_Nemo

  18. #18
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Then thar critters may be female, but I doubt that they are ladies.

    If the owner/manager of the establishment asks us to leave, we will immediately comply.......but the sidewalk and street outside are public thoroughfares.
    I think Mount Trashmore is a city-owned park.

    TFred

    Mount Trashmore Park

  19. #19
    Regular Member wrearick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    I think Mount Trashmore is a city-owned park.

    TFred

    Mount Trashmore Park
    that is the park that they will be holding their rally at and it is city owned. Never have had a problem there yet carrying.

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran MSG Laigaie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philipsburg, Montana
    Posts
    3,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Moms Demand Action do not represent the sharpest tacks in the box or the brightest bulbs in the chandelier.
    they would be dangerous if they were not

    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    it backfired on them. There were so many of us and so few of them that they appeared to be supporting what we were promoting.
    We have infiltrated their parades with OCDO banners and the ladies fell in behind us. Until they actually saw the banner
    In another "moms" event, their turnout was so poor they only had two people to our eight Armed Citizens. One of theirs, joined us. We had a better arguement

    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    They would make these signs and go to crazy liberal protest events and blend right in. Once in a while someone would read their actual sign and be like "Cool. What? Wait!"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ceasefire rally.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	13124

    DO IT, join their groups, attend their rallies, infiltrate, educate.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

  21. #21
    Regular Member AtackDuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    King George, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    214

    Rats! I'll be sailing.

    I'll be next door in Hampton, getting ready for the Southern Bay Race Week. Nothing like sauntering around Hampton Yacht Club and downtown Hampton while open carrying. Looks? You betcha! Especially when it's pirate weekend and everyone is saying AARRGGH! Matey!

  22. #22
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Quote Originally Posted by AtackDuck View Post
    I'll be next door in Hampton, getting ready for the Southern Bay Race Week. Nothing like sauntering around Hampton Yacht Club and downtown Hampton while open carrying. Looks? You betcha! Especially when it's pirate weekend and everyone is saying AARRGGH! Matey!
    There is an instant connect!

    Many lifetimes ago, I used to race that circuit: Hampton YC, Warwick YC, Fishing Creek, Back Bay....all of them. Mostly single-handed in handicap class, but also crewed on a couple of MORC boats.

    Happy times remembered.

    Ask the old timers if any of them remember Roger Morman, Happy Hogshire, or John Paul Jones.........forget Jones, nobody today remembers him.

    Yes. I will be wearing orange tomorrow.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 06-01-2016 at 09:07 PM. Reason: added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  23. #23
    Regular Member wrearick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by wrearick View Post
    Looks like 2 June 2016 has been chosen as a Rally day by Moms Demand Action. They are calling for the wearing of bright orange shirts. Locally in Virginia Beach, the gathering is planned for 6:30 PM at Mount Trashmore. According to the facebook sign up page (https://www.facebook.com/events/1327426773951333/) , 4 people are currently planning on attending.

    Here is the link for events throughout Virginia. https://www.facebook.com/MomsDemandA...=page_internal
    Well, up to 9 going and 8 interested. I think the weather is going to make it a small, short, wet event

  24. #24
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Originally Posted by Grapeshot

    Then thar critters may be female, but I doubt that they are ladies.

    If the owner/manager of the establishment asks us to leave, we will immediately comply.......but the sidewalk and street outside are public thoroughfares.
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    I think Mount Trashmore is a city-owned park.

    TFred

    Mount Trashmore Park
    My comments (posts #2 & #5) were in reply to the Richmond city event mentioned by Scouser, not Mt. Trashmore which as has been said is a city park.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •