Thread: June 6 Prayers

June 6 Prayers

I want to thank all of the brave men that fought that day.

I look forward to my trip - next year - to visit graves of those that didn't make it back, and paying them my respect personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    N. Chesterfield, Va.
    June 6, 1944 - a day that we should always remember and pay our solemn respects to all that gave of themselves. Some gave all, all gave some.

"About 160,000 Allied troops landed on the beaches of Normandy, France, to fight Nazi soldiers on June 6, 1944. General Dwight D. Eisenhower called the operation a crusade in which “we will accept nothing less than full victory”. More than 5,000 ships and 13,000 aircraft supported the D-Day invasion, and by the end of the day, the troops gained a foot- hold in Normandy. Thousands of soldiers lost their lives, but thousands more trekked across Europe to end the war. The invasion is one of history’s most significant military attacks."
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

earth's crust
    Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    I want to thank all of the brave men that fought that day.

According to the Department of Veterans Affairs, 697,806 American veterans from the war are still alive as of 2016.

I was surprised at the number still alleged to be alive.

here nc
    quote: Approximately every three minutes a memory of World War II—its sights and sounds, its terrors and triumphs—disappears. Yielding to the inalterable (sic) process of aging, the men and women who fought and won the great conflict are now mostly in their 90s. They are dying quickly—at the rate of approximately 430 a day, according to US Veterans Administration figures. unquote.

one of the most devastating event humans have endured and still to this day those that participated do not wish to talk about their role.

sidebar: fascinating some statistician, somewhere, wasted time to even calculate the death rate

The most logically consistent theories are unbelievable. B. Russell

Do not try to bend the spoon, that’s impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth… there is no spoon. Then you will see this is not the spoon that bends. It is only yourself.

To often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. ~John F. Kennedy

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

twenty something years ago I drove through Normandy with my parents on our way to a vacation home in Brittany. We saw several cemeteries on that journey, as well as stopping to look at one of the beaches the Allies landed on. Seemed so peaceful and quiet that day and hard to imagine what it must have been like 5 decades earlier. I'd got out of the car thinking I'd take some photos of the scene, but when standing there it just didn't seem the right thing to do, so the camera remained just hanging from my neck and my lasting images of the beach will only ever be in my mind
    Last edited by scouser; 06-12-2016 at 08:00 PM.
    JFT 96

I'm sorry, did I offend you with my opinion?
    You should hear the ones I keep to myself.

Porthos, Athos, and Aramis = peter nap, skidmark and Grapeshot, d'Artagnan = ?

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Quite appropriate, scouser. There are some things in life a camera captures very well, such as the first manned landing on the Moon. As for D-Day, I've seen tons of pictures and footage, but nothing does justice to the heart and soul of those who gave their all. Not then, not now.

Thank you, men.
    The 1st protects the 2nd, and the 2nd protects the 1st. GET THIS OR LOSE IT ALLl: 27-2=0. Our 2A is THE bellwether, and ain't none finer: Islamic Reality. Our Founding Fathers on Church and State. PC=ZERO.