• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A serious question for the nra

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
My friend Edwin Vieira, Jr. knows what he is talking about.
My emphasis on this peculiar situation is not simply a matter of constitutional pedantry devoid of practical consequences. For, by widely disseminating its misreading of the Second Amendment among the general public, the NRA lends credibility to a most dangerous misconception—to wit, that Americans can secure for themselves “the Blessings of Liberty” by purely individual actions alone, when every page in the book of American political and legal theory and history teaches that popular sovereignty, popular self-government, and the “Blessings of Liberty” that go with them necessarily entail, and can be achieved and maintained only through, collective endeavors by We the People as a whole. No one who studies America‘s Colonial Charters, the Declaration of Independence, the constitutions of the independent States, the Articles of Confederation, the original Constitution, and even the Second Amendment can come to any other conclusion.
http://www.edwinvieira.com/edwin286.htm

solus

the question is the title of the article.

i am afraid if i were a NRA director and received the his tome (which the article's author calls a letter, i probably wouldn't respond either...

ipse

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
My friend Edwin Vieira, Jr. knows what he is talking about.

http://www.edwinvieira.com/edwin286.htm
Whatever it is that he is talking about (yes, I know, it's what he considers the unaddressed "militia" portion of the 2nd Amendment), his writing is far too verbose, involved, and full of $64 words to make the point I presume he is trying to make.

Regardless of the accuracy of his assertion, and the value of his suggestions, they get lost in the above self-created morass.

No wonder no response was forthcoming.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The Forum Rule:

(12) NO BASHING OF OTHER GUN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS:

Regardless of how convinced you are that another gun rights organization is not doing their job, this is not the place to air those concerns unless they are specifically related to an anti-open carry position taken by that organization. All other rants against other gun rights groups will be deleted or the thread locked.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
It is a long letter and longer post in its entirety. It raises some interesting and well argued ideas and ideals. As BB62 alluded, it also reads very much like a 19th century monograph which modern audiences likely find tedious.

Even if one accepts his arguments in toto, I think the letters are misdirected. The NRA as an organization and a body was not conceived nor developed for the proposed purpose except perhaps in a tangential manner of supporting such endeavors, once fully established and vetted, with marksmanship and firearm safety training.

I find the underlying concepts of interest and worthy of lively discussion, but I do not see a realistic path to his proposition given real financial costs and federal and international law regarding arms and armament. Further, such proposition would require an astounding resurgence of 10th Amendment protection demands from the states and a return, domestically and internationally, to thinking of the United States of America as a peaceful compact of individual sovereign states rather than as a single nation of subservient states under a strong federal government. In short, it would require putting a lot of toothpaste back in the tube.

WalkingWolf

The NRA is now supporting delays for citizens on the no fly list, not bashing, just a fact. Nothing more is needed to be said.

davidmcbeth

Banned
The Forum Rule:

(12) NO BASHING OF OTHER GUN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS:

Regardless of how convinced you are that another gun rights organization is not doing their job, this is not the place to air those concerns unless they are specifically related to an anti-open carry position taken by that organization. All other rants against other gun rights groups will be deleted or the thread locked.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Ya can't carry if ya can't buy ! (well, for those that cannot make anywho). Could his post relate to this? The NRA? I rarely speak about this organization here, due to rule 12 !

I would suggest before stating conclusions of a rule violation that you allow a poster to explain why it does not violate a rule? Seems fair.

Bernymac

Who creates the no fly list? How do you get on it? Is there due process involved before your rights are taken away arbitrarily? What if your name matches the one on the list? :shocker::shocker::shocker:

Little at a time...until it is all gone.