Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Quick MI code question about transporting an unregistered firearm

  1. #1
    Regular Member Liberty-or-Death's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    23235
    Posts
    422

    Quick MI code question about transporting an unregistered firearm

    A buddy of mine in there St. Joe county MI is planning a visit here to VA and wanted to bring his father's old revolver (inherited at his passing a few years ago) along with him for some range time here. He's reluctant because it is not registered there in his name.

    Could someone tell me what his legal options are without registering it and any concerns about going ahead and registering? Thanks.
    Be active.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Lynchburg
    Posts
    591
    Were it me, and like I did so many years ago going to school in Mi, I would wrap it up, stick it in a box in the trunk or back seat or some place like that and be careful to obey road signs on the way down.

    Nemo

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    People in MI need (using the term loosely) to register their guns? Do people actually do this?
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 06-07-2016 at 11:54 PM.

  4. #4
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622
    Virginia doesn't care where it is or is not registered.

    If he is legal to possess guns, he is good to go here.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 06-08-2016 at 05:09 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  5. #5
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,737
    28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; transfer of ownership to heir or devisee; nonresident; active duty status; forging application as felony; implementation during business hours.

    Sec. 2.

    (1) Except as otherwise provided in this act, a person shall not purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol as prescribed in this section.
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%2...ame=mcl-28-422

    Remind me not to ever visit Michigan.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%2...ame=mcl-28-422

    Remind me not to ever visit Michigan.
    All states have their own problems with gun laws. Michigan's appealing side is that IF you are okay with having a license, there are very few places legally off limits to carry.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  7. #7
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    All states have their own problems with gun laws. Michigan's appealing side is that IF you are okay with having a license, there are very few places legally off limits to carry.
    So, the state letting you exercise a little bit of your rights is OK?

    Michigan Constitution
    § 6 Bearing of arms.
    Sec. 6. Every person has a right to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state.
    History:
    Const. 1963, Art. I, § 6, Eff. Jan. 1, 1964.
    Former constitution:
    See Const. 1908, Art. II, § 5.
    It doesn't say "Registration of your arms with the state is mandatory for every person to have the privilege to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%2...ame=mcl-28-422

    Remind me not to ever visit Michigan.
    Well, I feel lucky all those times I carried my revolver around v. a pistol.

    I would see this requirement kicking out any conditions on receiving a license too ... should not cost anything, if you can possess it must be issued too as your RKBA includes being able to carry to a range to practice.

    Not that I see a need at all ...

  9. #9
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    So, the state letting you exercise a little bit of your rights is OK?

    Michigan Constitution

    It doesn't say "Registration of your arms with the state is mandatory for every person to have the privilege to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state.
    You do realize you're preaching to the choir right? I am a voluntaryist. And you even quoted me saying that all states have their own problems with gun laws.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    136
    If you have an out of state cpl you are exempt from registration in Michigan. You cannot conceal carry as a resident of Michigan(in Michigan) with an out of state cpl, but you do not have to register your pistols. Most people get an Arizona or Maine cpl. MCL 28.432(1)(f) http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(imx...ame=mcl-28-432
    Last edited by wizzi01; 06-16-2016 at 04:26 PM.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzi01 View Post
    If you have an out of state cpl you are exempt from registration in Michigan. You cannot conceal carry as a resident of Michigan(in Michigan) with an out of state cpl, but you do not have to register your pistols. Most people get an Arizona or Maine cpl. MCL 28.432(1)(f) http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(imx...ame=mcl-28-432
    No offense to those who do this, but I think that concept is dorky obedience under the guise of skirting the law. Michigan's registration system is notoriously poorly kept, on par with the NFA registry 10 plus years ago, and except in rare instances such as for activists, if cops run your gun and it comes back unregistered they are going to assume it was a police screw up and not even mention it. When they are trying to mess with activists they may mention it, and then when it is insisted that it was registered, the police will then generally admit it must have been a police screw up, and suggest you go bitch at the agency at fault, and if you do, they'll then actually register it.

    In a state where cops like some in the the DPD will straight up steal guns from ocers even when presented with the green card, registration seems to be something of a side issue.

    Another tidbit of use to some who are concerned about the GFSZA in regards to LEIN, it doesn't say how your pistol is registered, be it through a permit to purchase or RI060 or shop, it only says its registered. In essence, they police have no way of knowing, and therefore is another reason not to realistically worry about the finer details of registration, provided that in the extremely unlikely case the point is brought up, you aren't stupid enough to mention it.
    Last edited by Michigander; 06-17-2016 at 12:22 AM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  12. #12
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    I'm with color of law, MI is now on my No Visit list.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  13. #13
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    You do realize you're preaching to the choir right? I am a voluntaryist. And you even quoted me saying that all states have their own problems with gun laws.
    Your point????

  14. #14
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    No offense....

    snipp
    so your premise and advice to this august body is to ignore the firearm registration statutes, if caught feign surprise and say you did register (read lie) to the nice LEs who, (you have unequivocal empirical evidence right?), know some registration clerk screwed up the citizen's registration statute compliance action.

    and further, you want us to believe, unless you are an 'activist' (hang on a moment) they won't do a thing to JQPublic about a lack of their firearm registration.

    ok, moment is over...what, in your mind set, defines an 'activist' whom the nice MI LE's might pursue their lack of firearm registration???

    Michigander, you are advocating to this membership to break the law!!! shame on you, and me as i thought you just were a misunderstood & frustrated firearm rights activist!!

    ipse
    Last edited by solus; 06-17-2016 at 10:05 AM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    No offense to those who do this, but I think that concept is dorky obedience under the guise of skirting the law. Michigan's registration system is notoriously poorly kept, on par with the NFA registry 10 plus years ago, and except in rare instances such as for activists, if cops run your gun and it comes back unregistered they are going to assume it was a police screw up and not even mention it. When they are trying to mess with activists they may mention it, and then when it is insisted that it was registered, the police will then generally admit it must have been a police screw up, and suggest you go bitch at the agency at fault, and if you do, they'll then actually register it.

    In a state where cops like some in the the DPD will straight up steal guns from ocers even when presented with the green card, registration seems to be something of a side issue.

    Another tidbit of use to some who are concerned about the GFSZA in regards to LEIN, it doesn't say how your pistol is registered, be it through a permit to purchase or RI060 or shop, it only says its registered. In essence, they police have no way of knowing, and therefore is another reason not to realistically worry about the finer details of registration, provided that in the extremely unlikely case the point is brought up, you aren't stupid enough to mention it.
    Skirting the law? The law specifically says what it says. It doesn't say you have to live out of state and have an out of state cpl. It states (f) A United States citizen holding a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by another state. If you can't understand plain English that isn't my issue. Also, if a cop runs your gun he has to have a good reason to. they cannot just run a pistol because they want to. They can get in trouble for misusing the system.

  16. #16
    Regular Member griffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Okemos, MI
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzi01 View Post
    if a cop runs your gun he has to have a good reason to. they cannot just run a pistol because they want to. They can get in trouble for misusing the system.
    LOL. Cops run guns all the time, particularly in some big cities like Detroit or GR. I doubt any cop has ever gotten in trouble for it.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

  17. #17
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    so your premise and advice to this august body is to ignore the firearm registration statutes, if caught feign surprise and say you did register (read lie) to the nice LEs who, (you have unequivocal empirical evidence right?), know some registration clerk screwed up the citizen's registration statute compliance action.

    and further, you want us to believe, unless you are an 'activist' (hang on a moment) they won't do a thing to JQPublic about a lack of their firearm registration.

    ok, moment is over...what, in your mind set, defines an 'activist' whom the nice MI LE's might pursue their lack of firearm registration???

    Michigander, you are advocating to this membership to break the law!!! shame on you, and me as i thought you just were a misunderstood & frustrated firearm rights activist!!

    ipse

    Quite the contrary, I wrote a book you can download and read for free that comprehensively educates residents and non residents about all of the fine print of following Michigan gun laws, citing everything thoroughly too. You can download it from www.freedomisforeveryone.com

    I bring these things up to keep the real world in its proper context, so that not only the law can be understood, but also the way it is applied. Indeed as griffin said, cops will do whatever the hell they want without significant regard to the law.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    Your point????

    So, the state letting you exercise a little bit of your rights is OK?

    Your words my friend, not mine. I don't agree with the concept of a state.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Evil Creamsicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Police State, USA
    Posts
    1,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    So, the state letting you exercise a little bit of your rights is OK?

    Your words my friend, not mine. I don't agree with the concept of a state.
    You are as free, and only as free, as you allow yourself to be.

  20. #20
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    No offense to those who do this, but I think that concept is dorky obedience under the guise of skirting the law. Michigan's registration system is notoriously poorly kept, on par with the NFA registry 10 plus years ago, and except in rare instances such as for activists, if cops run your gun and it comes back unregistered they are going to assume it was a police screw up and not even mention it. When they are trying to mess with activists they may mention it, and then when it is insisted that it was registered, the police will then generally admit it must have been a police screw up, and suggest you go bitch at the agency at fault, and if you do, they'll then actually register it.

    In a state where cops like some in the the DPD will straight up steal guns from ocers even when presented with the green card, registration seems to be something of a side issue.

    Another tidbit of use to some who are concerned about the GFSZA in regards to LEIN, it doesn't say how your pistol is registered, be it through a permit to purchase or RI060 or shop, it only says its registered. In essence, they police have no way of knowing, and therefore is another reason not to realistically worry about the finer details of registration, provided that in the extremely unlikely case the point is brought up, you aren't stupid enough to mention it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    Quite the contrary, I wrote a book you can download and read for free that comprehensively educates residents and non residents about all of the fine print of following Michigan gun laws, citing everything thoroughly too. You can download it from www.freedomisforeveryone.com

    I bring these things up to keep the real world in its proper context, so that not only the law can be understood, but also the way it is applied. Indeed as griffin said, cops will do whatever the hell they want without significant regard to the law.
    so now you state you have written as well as providing it free, a manuscript outlining your avocation of breaking MI firearm registration statutes?

    on a national public forum...nice...

    ipse
    Last edited by solus; 06-27-2016 at 01:59 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    so now you state you have written as well as providing it free, a manuscript outlining your avocation of breaking MI firearm registration statutes?

    on a national public forum...nice...

    ipse
    If that book is anything like his response to my post, it is probably factually incorrect.

  22. #22
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    so now you state you have written as well as providing it free, a manuscript outlining your avocation of breaking MI firearm registration statutes?

    on a national public forum...nice...

    ipse


    Yes, a national public forum. What's your point. Is the truth not worth telling?

    By the way, please do note that I believe you took the second portion you put in bold out of context. The way that registration was changed up, some ways protect you from the GFSZA and some don't. The police do not track which way you register, and there is no requirement to keep it beyond 30 days either. So on top of it being a just about never enforced federal law police themselves are largely unaware of, they lack the ability to even determine what's what. This is information people deserve to know.

    Everyone I've ever conducted activism with in Michigan, bar none, has kept their pistols registered unless the cops screwed up. It's not that I object to the notion of trying to skirt the law, especially morally, it's that it's dorky to give one state entity your money and personal information in order to avoid giving it to another, as though that's somehow better, when the odds are decent they'll never even bother filing your paperwork. Sure, if someone wants to get an out of state carry permit, that's cool. But at least if they read what I wrote they'll understand how much it matters.
    Last edited by Michigander; 07-03-2016 at 04:38 AM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  23. #23
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzi01 View Post
    If that book is anything like his response to my post, it is probably factually incorrect.
    Between the 2 of us, you're the one stating factually incorrect things. After more than a dozen OC protest marches in Detroit against criminal DPD cops stealing guns from OCers and charging them with erroneous felony charges, I'm especially surprised that you as a Detroit resident would state a belief that the cops obey their own rules. It would seem that after all the years this has been going on you must be living under a rock.

    My suggestion is that you actually read my book rather than speculate to draw criticisms with no basis.
    Last edited by Michigander; 07-03-2016 at 04:47 AM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  24. #24
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    Wowwie!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    Between the 2 of us, you're the one stating factually incorrect things. After more than a dozen OC protest marches in Detroit against criminal DPD cops stealing guns from OCers and charging them with erroneous felony charges, I'm especially surprised that you as a Detroit resident would state a belief that the cops obey their own rules. It would seem that after all the years this has been going on you must be living under a rock.

    My suggestion is that you actually read my book rather than speculate to draw criticisms with no basis.
    Pay no attention to the Wizzi...
    He doesnt know, hasnt studied nor has he followed the work that has gone into Detroit carry!
    Maybe a plus 1 would have worked here, but you, and your work, deserve,, Words....


    BYW,,, for You and the Wizzi, if he cares.
    Do you remember CommanderIceMan?
    He is OldSchool, was here for some years.
    He rode his bicycle through High Land Park and Detroit!
    Wearing Body Armor and Left and Right side FNP 45s..
    Skinny Black guy,,, knew how to speak with eloquence...
    He broke a lot of these barriers at that time,,,, But,,, we still face them today...
    Last edited by 1245A Defender; 07-03-2016 at 06:35 AM.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    Between the 2 of us, you're the one stating factually incorrect things. After more than a dozen OC protest marches in Detroit against criminal DPD cops stealing guns from OCers and charging them with erroneous felony charges, I'm especially surprised that you as a Detroit resident would state a belief that the cops obey their own rules. It would seem that after all the years this has been going on you must be living under a rock.

    My suggestion is that you actually read my book rather than speculate to draw criticisms with no basis.
    Yet, lawyers disagree with you. Why would I read a book if you are giving out false information on the internet. Also, where did I state DPD obeys laws?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •