Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about auto crime in Virginia Beach/Lynhaven area

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Question about auto crime in Virginia Beach/Lynhaven area

I am going to be heading down to a B-day party in Virginia Beach this weekend and will be staying at a motel close to Norfolk International Airport for one night only. Is this an automobile crime problem area? I am very anal about my car and am concerned about attempted breakin's, someone keying the paint, and people breaking windows. It is a very nice car and is irreplaceable so if this area is a problem, I'd like to know so I can drive my truck down.

To keep this gun-related, I will be taking one of my primary carry sidearms on this trip. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    I see three options.

#1) drive your truck and keep your prize posession under wraps at home - 'course that doesn't allow you to show it off.

#2) park it in a Virginia Beach PD parking lot and take a cab to the motel. Expensive cab ride and still no guarantee.

#3) sleep at home and drive straight through to the BD party. PS - only drive on the highway when there are no other vehicles present.

Best of luck and keep on OCing.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 06-08-2016 at 10:15 PM. Reason: fixed
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Not sure how to answer this since the hotel is in Norfolk and the topic is Virginia Beach/Lynnhaven which is about 10 miles from where you are asking about. Let me just say that "in general" neither area is a high crime area for autos but if the prized possession is tempting enough it may draw attention from the wrong sort of folks. That could happen anywhere in the tidewater area though if the prize were tempting enough (or anywhere else in this country)

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I see three options.

#1) drive your truck and keep your prize posession under wraps at home - 'course that doesn't allow you to show it off.

#2) park it in a Virginia Beach PD parking lot and take a cab to the motel. Expensive cab ride and still no guarantee.

#3) sleep at home and drive straight through to the BD party. PS - only drive on the highway when there are no other vehicles present.

other options exist grape...

as we did in olde days, find and pay local street thug a couple bucks watch it for you...

contact local mall renta cops...

hire me to drive it around while you rest so the vehicle is safe...heck, might do it for free depending on vintage and uniquiness and so forth

uh, sure there are futher options available

ipse

added...to keeping with oc decorum...i'll wear my purdy sig in oc fashion!
    Last edited by solus; 06-09-2016 at 05:31 AM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

A valuable car's condition has more hazards than rise to the level of crime. I had a new exotic foreign car on a road trip and had to sit in it most of the night for a drunken graduation party held in the hotel. We now inquire about special events at an overnight site and near by.

I would drive the truck if the car is indeed irreplaceable. If it is irreplaceable then it needs enough insurance to maintain it in pristine condition against foreseeable hazards.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Sleep in the car.

You're not allowed to defend "mere property", but if it's a robbery (e.g, you're in the car and someone's trying to take it from your personal possession through threats, force, or intimidation), that puts it in the self defense / stopping a serious felony in progress category. Besides, if you're sleeping in the car, perhaps "defense of habitation" applies, too.

Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Banned
    Irreplacable and valuable?

Must be a ....

YUGO !

I recommend you take Solus up on his offer to drive you around ... he only wants unlimited beer for payment (wear a helmet !) .. can't beat that offer.

at least it wasn't this piece of transportation from Deutsche Demokratische Republik...shudder

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trabant.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	3.6 KB 
ID:	13132
    Last edited by solus; 06-09-2016 at 09:53 AM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    at least it wasn't this piece of transportation from Deutsche Demokratische Republik...shudder

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trabant.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	3.6 KB 
ID:	13132
    I'd like to hear what vehicle that the OP is so worried about. If it's Elvis' caddy, its understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I see three options.

#1) Since I'm not someone who relishes in showing off his things, that doesn't apply to me. The garage is its home when home.

#2) Might the VBPD have it towed? That would be a nightmare for sure.

#3) Hmmm.... while not a bad idea, that would put it pretty late for arriving home and for the next B-Day party that day. I've driven once all through the night when tired and I do NOT what to do that again.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by wrearick View Post
    Not sure how to answer this since the hotel is in Norfolk and the topic is Virginia Beach/Lynnhaven which is about 10 miles from where you are asking about. Let me just say that "in general" neither area is a high crime area for autos but if the prized possession is tempting enough it may draw attention from the wrong sort of folks. That could happen anywhere in the tidewater area though if the prize were tempting enough (or anywhere else in this country)
    Yes it certainly could. It's just that for me, I am not familiar with that area so I haven't a clue where the more questionable parts of the Tidewater are found.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    A valuable car's condition has more hazards than rise to the level of crime. I had a new exotic foreign car on a road trip and had to sit in it most of the night for a drunken graduation party held in the hotel. We now inquire about special events at an overnight site and near by.

I would drive the truck if the car is indeed irreplaceable. If it is irreplaceable then it needs enough insurance to maintain it in pristine condition against foreseeable hazards.
    It's a 2016 model and by irreplaceable, I meant that in its current configuration, it is the last of the breed for that manufacturer.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Sleep in the car.

You're not allowed to defend "mere property", but if it's a robbery (e.g, you're in the car and someone's trying to take it from your personal possession through threats, force, or intimidation), that puts it in the self defense / stopping a serious felony in progress category. Besides, if you're sleeping in the car, perhaps "defense of habitation" applies, too.

I did that once in 1965 between Ocean City and Rehoboth. Cop woke us up just after sunrise and said we couldn't do that.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I'd like to hear what vehicle that the OP is so worried about. If it's Elvis' caddy, its understandable.
    It's a 2016 Audi S4 manual. I ordered it in June of last year and took delivery in late September. It was one of the last ones built with a manual transmission and Audi no longer offers the S4 with a manual. But it wouldn't matter what car it was. With me, it's my property and I hold such things dear.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    It's a 2016 Audi S4 manual. I ordered it in June of last year and took delivery in late September. It was one of the last ones built with a manual transmission and Audi no longer offers the S4 with a manual. But it wouldn't matter what car it was. With me, it's my property and I hold such things dear.
    I'm surprised you answered their question as it doesn't matter. All part that MATTERS IS THE BOLD.

I wouldn't worry about the car being damaged as much as I would care about comfort,mpg and driving a manual in heavy traffic.

You can borrow my 03 Excursion... if you like..
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    Heck - leave the doors unlocked - nobody under 45 knows how to drive a manual stick....

Other option w/b to stay at a nicer hotel w valet parking - just like in Ferris Buehler....

I thought the hotels around Newport News-Yorktown area were nice & quiet. Especially the business hotels on the weekend.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I'm surprised you answered their question as it doesn't matter. All part that MATTERS IS THE BOLD.

I wouldn't worry about the car being damaged as much as I would care about comfort,mpg and driving a manual in heavy traffic.

You can borrow my 03 Excursion... if you like..
    You're right. It is my property and that's really what's important. As for it being a manual, I love it. Only owned one automatic in my life that was my personal driving machine. Don't wish to make that mistake again.

As for your Excursion, I have a rather new truck (2014 Nissan Frontier King Cab) which I still might take down there. Haven't made up my mind yet, but comparing the truck to the S4 is like comparing a Civic to a Corvette. Worlds apart.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    Heck - leave the doors unlocked - nobody under 45 knows how to drive a manual stick....

Other option w/b to stay at a nicer hotel w valet parking - just like in Ferris Buehler....

I thought the hotels around Newport News-Yorktown area were nice & quiet. Especially the business hotels on the weekend.
    That's a service I would never even consider with one of my vehicles. A rental, yes, but not one of mine.

America First!

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Rent a car.

Norfolk is a hole.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Rent a car.

Norfolk is a hole.
    Even the area close to (a little east of) the airport? From the Google pictures, it doesn't look like someplace where one might find much crime activity.

America First!

Well, folks that live in tidewater are saying the areas you inquire about are not bad, those that live outside the area call the place in question a hole......

Here is a link for electronic police reports. Put in the address and see what kind of police activity is happening in those areas. Then you don't have to try and figure out who to believe.

https://www.vbgov.com/government/dep...ages/epro.aspx
    http://hamptonroads.com/newsdata/crime/norfolk
    http://hamptonroads.com/2012/12/virg...eaconcom-crime

Park in the Airport Short term Lot

Norfolk International Airport has a nice covered parking lot with lots of airport authority police. Park there and take the hotel's free shuttle to and from the hotel. This will not be free, but your baby will be well guarded.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Quote Originally Posted by wrearick View Post
    Well, folks that live in tidewater are saying the areas you inquire about are not bad, those that live outside the area call the place in question a hole......

Here is a link for electronic police reports. Put in the address and see what kind of police activity is happening in those areas. Then you don't have to try and figure out who to believe.

https://www.vbgov.com/government/dep...ages/epro.aspx
    http://hamptonroads.com/newsdata/crime/norfolk
    http://hamptonroads.com/2012/12/virg...eaconcom-crime
    Thank you. Nothing shows up in the area where the motel is for auto theft/vandalism, etc.

America First!

OP, just ensure you post on this public forum the exact location of your vehicle to save us having to search too hard for it...to guard it, ya that's it ~ guard it for ya...

ipse

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    OP, just ensure you post on this public forum the exact location of your vehicle to save us having to search too hard for it...to guard it, ya that's it ~ guard it for ya...

ipse
    Uhh, on a corner in Winslow, Arizona.

America First!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast