• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spotted first open carrier in Wisconsin.

Wstar425

At the Windmill going in to get water. He noticed me first, I didn't realize he was carrying for a bit. XD45, dressed in mostly black hard to see, and riding a Harley with a lady. Talked about dogs and non gun stuff for 95 percent of the time. Both determined OC is pretty much not noticed. Practiced the stay command with the release command of "Sig Sauer", which he enjoyed I think. Yes, my dog knows German. Or is it Swedish?

Anyone here, forgot to mention site, oops my bad.

Wstar425

Release command from STAY is Sig Sauer, as I mentioned. I put her in stay and walk 100-500 feet away, then either say or shout S words such as seven, Sarasota, Sioux Falls, sigourney weaver, salamander, Sacramento, San Antonio , San Jose, sigmund freud, Sig Sauer. She comes running full bore with ears pinned back straight lining it to me for her treat. It's fun, and I must say at least a little impressive. If asked, I just say some commands are in German. Wife was a foreign language teacher for many years, so some in Spanish too. Once in a while she will lurch on the Sig words, but very very rarely leaves early. It's kind of a challenge staying ahead of a dog that is smarter than you are!! I'm heavy on city names since I've been to a lot of cities.

As I was wrapping up to go home, three Oneida Co. Deputies pulled in and got out. A couple of "nice dog"comments, no "gun" comments, tho I never really stopped walking. They were all strong side, and probably should have noticed, tho I can't say for sure they were kind of looking into the sun.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--

As I was wrapping up to go home, three Oneida Co. Deputies pulled in and got out. A couple of "nice dog"comments, no "gun" comments, tho I never really stopped walking. They were all strong side, and probably should have noticed, tho I can't say for sure they were kind of looking into the sun.
Good tactics being practiced - putting the other feller looking into the sun. :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The Sniper ... Sunlight glinting off of the opponent's rifle scope.
Bad choice of a hide if his scope and of course then his rifle were exposed.

Poor training, selection or both. Even a simple rigged camo tarp could have provided the necessary dark shadows.

Flunking out in school/training is one thing. Flunking out in live fire combat is a bit more permanent.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Just a note on sun and scopes or optics We were shooting on my 600 yard range and was set up at 400 the sun was behind us. We went down range to check on the targets. Left the rifle and spotting scope on the firing line. After we were done looking at the target when we turn around and looked back down range.

One could see a very bright light coming from where we were shooting the sun rays were shining through the spotting scope causing it to be magnified. Just the right time of day right angle of the scope.

Very bright and very easy to spot and a lessen well learned.

Wstar425

I understood it perfectly, maybe it's a comprehension issue?

What I don't understand is how my post went from spotting an OC and our discussion, to long range sniping scenarios without comments being deleted for being off topic?

Franky

I understood it perfectly, maybe it's a comprehension issue?

What I don't understand is how my post went from spotting an OC and our discussion, to long range sniping scenarios without comments being deleted for being off topic?

And I do not understand why it went from on topic OC to off topic long winded adventure story about your dog.

Wstar425

And I do not understand why it went from on topic OC to off topic long winded adventure story about your dog.

It's my original post, and I mentioned my dog in the first post.

You got something against dogs?

Maybe it's about the comprehension? Feel free to not read anything I write.

Last edited: