Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: EBT Card Outage? 8 Days Into June And Many Americans Are Still Waiting For Food Stamp

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,161

    EBT Card Outage? 8 Days Into June And Many Americans Are Still Waiting For Food Stamp

    Could you imagine not being able to provide three meals a day for your family any longer?

    Close to half the population of Venezuela is already in that position, and the economic collapse down there grows worse with each passing day.

    Most Americans just assume that nothing like that could ever happen here.

    Most Americans just assume that the government will always have plenty of money to give out.

    As I mentioned above, there are well over 40 million Americans that receive EBT benefits.

    However, when you factor in all government programs, more than 100 million Americans get some form of money or benefits from the federal government each month.

    So what would happen someday if suddenly the spigot was turned off?

    What would those 100 million people do?

    How would they survive?

    Hopefully this current EBT outage is just a temporary technical glitch, and hopefully the government will get it fixed in short order.

    But someday there will be a major crisis that will cause food stamp benefits to be cut off either permanently or for an extended period of time.

    When that day arrives, what will that do to our communities?

    This is coming soon...



    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-0...od-stamp-money
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  2. #2
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,623
    One of the concerns that people have regards receipt of their Social Security checks. SS is not a government hand out. It is money earned and paid into an account to be returned in monthly installments when the individual has retired.

    Many people do not realize that if you delay applying for your SS, the government will penalize you/reduce your check by as much as $100.00 for each year you delay.

    Also at one time, all recipients were paid near the first of each month. Then a policy change was made where some people went from getting their funds on the 3rd of the month to having to wait until the 3rd Wednesday of the month w/o adjustment for the delay. Basically, they had to survive for 7 weeks on 4 weeks of income.

    Social Security used to be a separately administered account. Now SS is included in general funds, so a hiccup, glitch in the system, or other problem will have a direct impact on many (all?) of us.

    Remember those sad & frightening words, "We are here from the government and we are here to help you."
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    One of the concerns that people have regards receipt of their Social Security checks. SS is not a government hand out. It is money earned and paid into an account to be returned in monthly installments when the individual has retired.

    Many people do not realize that if you delay applying for your SS, the government will penalize you/reduce your check by as much as $100.00 for each year you delay.

    Also at one time, all recipients were paid near the first of each month. Then a policy change was made where some people went from getting their funds on the 3rd of the month to having to wait until the 3rd Wednesday of the month w/o adjustment for the delay. Basically, they had to survive for 7 weeks on 4 weeks of income.

    Social Security used to be a separately administered account. Now SS is included in general funds, so a hiccup, glitch in the system, or other problem will have a direct impact on many (all?) of us.

    Remember those sad & frightening words, "We are here from the government and we are here to help you."
    Nope.
    Please cite the law to back up your claim.

    I have not found any REQUIREMENT for the government to pay you back even one red cent of the money you DONATED to pay for the retirement of others.

    Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Nope. Please cite the law to back up your claim. [ ... ]
    Specify precisely what YOU think is the legal claim and I will see what I can do. As it is, I see no claim to law in your quoted paragraph.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Specify precisely what YOU think is the legal claim and I will see what I can do. As it is, I see no claim to law in your quoted paragraph.
    He claims that SS is not a government handout.

    Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  6. #6
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,623
    "....you are paying a certain percentage of your salary into the Social Security system -- and the idea is that you will get this money back once you retire so you have some extra money to live on once you stop receiving your paycheck."

    http://money.howstuffworks.com/perso...l-security.htm
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  7. #7
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,623
    Social Security Act (1935)
    http://www.ourdocuments.gov/doc.php?flash=true&doc=68



    "SEC. 202. (a) Every qualified individual (as defined in section 210) shall be entitled to receive, with respect to the period beginning on the date he attains the age of sixty-five, or on January 1, 1942, whichever is the later, and ending on the date of his death, an old-age benefit (payable as nearly as practicable in equal monthly installments) as follows:....."
    https://www.ssa.gov/history/35act.html
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,161
    I elected to not qualify for SS, participating instead in CSRA that has paid many times my investment, approaching now with inflation, nearly 100% per year. I wonder what will be done with the principle when the last annuitant is gone.

    Some years after I retired on CSR, I inadvertently qualified for SS. I was not given the option of not receiving SS, my CSR is penalized for the amount of SS and IIRC the penalty to be paid to restore my full CSR is ~$20K. As it is, SS pays Medicare premium so I've quit even thinking about it.
    Civil Service Retirement System
    The Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) was organized in 1920 and has provided retirement, disability, and survivor benefits for most civilian employees in the United States federal government. Upon the creation of a new Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) in 1987, those newly hired after that date cannot participate in CSRS. CSRS continues to provide retirement benefits to those eligible to receive them.
    I just went looking for the current principle balance, but it has disappeared. About the time of my retirement it was showing $2Billion with a few tens of thousands of annuitants.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 06-10-2016 at 08:17 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  9. #9
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    4,795
    I voluntarily donate each month to a private charity that assists the truly needy obtain food and other necessary household items. This charity was started during the great depression for the specific purposes of sustaining life while also eliminating the evils that always attach to the dole.

    When I realized my favorite "take and bake" pizza joint accepted EBT my fears of the waste and fraud in the system were confirmed. Even working full time at a professional level salary, my family and I consider pizza (take and bake or otherwise) to be a rare treat. Most of our meals are eaten at home, prepared from scratch starting with basic ingredients like raw (or frozen) vegetables and fruit, pasta, raw meat, and so on. Pre-prepared foods are the exception at our house.

    Likewise, we dumped cable TV 6 years ago. Kids don't get smart phones: we have a couple of very low cost flip phones that get used as safety and convenience leashes when they are out and about. My "new" car is now 10+ years old. And so on.

    I grow weary of working hard and paying taxes just to see those who did not bother to gain job skills and/or have made choices leading to lack of employment, living high on many luxuries that I believe are imprudent under my budget. Maybe folks are just a little more loose with other people's money than some of us are with our own.

    As for social security, let us remember that it is also known as "Old age, Survivors, and Disability Insurance (OASDI)".

    That word "insurance" is interesting. When SS was instituted the age to draw benefits was pretty close to the average death age for men. In other words, about half of all men were expected not to draw any benefits due to old age. A person was expected to plan for his own financial needs for as long as he reasonably expected to live. If he lived "too long" then the "Old Age...Insurance" kicked in to keep him from being destitute in his final, few years...and to provide some financial support to his widow once he was gone.

    But as lifespans increased without a similar increase in SS eligibility age, SS transformed from "Old Age...Insurance" to "retirement."

    Because there is no investment made, there is no chance for the money paid in social security taxes to grow even to keep up with inflation, much less to grow in real value. Nobody "gets out" what he "put in". SS is a simple, inter-generational wealth transfer program. In 1940 it was a fairly light burden with 159 workers paying SS for every person receiving benefits. By 1955 that was down to 8.6 workers for every person receiving benefits. As of 2013, we were down to 2.8 workers.

    I'm sure much of the change is due to expanding SS to include ever larger numbers of persons on disability. There is also the change in demographics as baby boomers retire. And the fact that unemployment insurance, EBT (see back on topic), and other welfare payments mean that a larger proportion of our population can subsist for long periods of time without working and paying SS taxes.

    For a long time, taxes paid for SS exceeded SS payments. Some make a big deal out of "lockbox" vs part of the general fund. But really that is a difference without a distinction. Without investment or at least purchase of something of intrinsic value, it is really just a distinction without much difference: IN the case of one specific program, the government took out more (fiat) money from the economy than they returned to it in a given year. Sounds like one small lever in the large machine of fiscal (manipulation) policy much more than it does any kind of real lock box.

    Anyway, the only guarantee that social security recipients get their payments is perhaps the strongest guarantee of all: political will.

    Congress could statutorily end the payments tomorrow cold turkey and there is no legal recourse for anyone whether currently receiving payments or not. Of course such a move would probably make the Congressional house-cleaning following the '94 gun ban look like child's play. So until the economy and our money collapses, or until young workers grossly outnumber old and disabled beneficiaries, social security payments are probably pretty safe.

    FDR was right. No future politician will ever be able to end his program, because with the line item on the withholding taxes specifically for SS, every worker feels entitled to that "retirement" payment for as long as he lives.

    Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

    "With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

    "Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by utbagpiper View Post
    <snip>

    FDR was right. No future politician will ever be able to end his program, because with the line item on the withholding taxes specifically for SS, every worker feels entitled to that "retirement" payment for as long as he lives.

    Charles
    "Where's my free cheese" is the phrase O'da-day !

  11. #11
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Social Security Act (1935)
    http://www.ourdocuments.gov/doc.php?flash=true&doc=68



    "SEC. 202. (a) Every qualified individual (as defined in section 210) shall be entitled to receive, with respect to the period beginning on the date he attains the age of sixty-five, or on January 1, 1942, whichever is the later, and ending on the date of his death, an old-age benefit (payable as nearly as practicable in equal monthly installments) as follows:....."
    https://www.ssa.gov/history/35act.html
    So, if the government wanted to end SS today, what would make the government continue payments?

    Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  12. #12
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426

    buy low, eat long

    I have a reasonable store of canned / dried foods which slowly get used &
    replaced. Buy low-cost foods that last a long time & have high nutrition,
    date them so the oldest ones are used first.
    Would get boring not having fresh food, but I'd do OK for a while.

    .
    Quote Originally Posted by utbagpiper
    When I realized my favorite "take and bake" pizza joint accepted EBT my fears
    of the waste and fraud in the system were confirmed. Even working full time at a professional
    level salary, my family and I consider pizza (take and bake or otherwise) to be a rare treat.
    What proof do you have that people using SNAP don't consider it a rare treat as well?
    Heck, with Papa Murphy's $10 Tuesday deal, and one of the stuffed pizzas, one pizza
    could be 8 meals. That's pretty economical, esp. if there's a salad or some other
    veggies on the side to help with overall nutrition, or you get one of the pizzas
    that has plenty of veggies.
    Making it fresh is even better & more economical.
    Last edited by MKEgal; 06-13-2016 at 09:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

  13. #13
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    someday there will be a major crisis that will cause food stamp benefits to be cut off
    either permanently or for an extended period of time.
    When that day arrives, what will that do to our communities?
    In inner cities, poor areas, lots of unemployment & crime already, people will riot.
    Hopefully social agencies such as churches will step in to feed people and prevent
    bigger problems, but that will only last a little while before they're overwhelmed.
    I'd guess that eventually something like FEMA or the national guard would have to
    come in more long-term until the computer system is fixed.
    No chance that suddenly people would sprout job skills, ditch a criminal history, and
    be able to find jobs, not in this economy.
    Crime would skyrocket, esp. in slightly nicer areas which are easily accessible to the
    people in need (via bus or stolen car).

  14. #14
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,885
    alas milady, those who worry about EBT collapse among other concepts, e.g., pandemic, etc., coupled with the resulting chaos to those in a failing socioeconomically status, project governmental agents will not enter the areas to maintain order.

    ipse
    Last edited by solus; 06-13-2016 at 10:14 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  15. #15
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    4,795
    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    What proof do you have that people using SNAP don't consider it a rare treat as well?
    Treats, whether rare or frequent should not be provided at taxpayer expense. Welfare should support life, not lifestyle, in my opinion.

    Put another way, there should be obvious incentives to providing for oneself rather than living on the dole.

    Lack of "treats"--including smart phones, alcohol, cigarettes, soda, and fast foods purchased with personal cash freed up by using EBT to buy "necessities" should be part of going on public assistance and would help encourage those receiving taxpayer support to minimize the time spent on the program. A short term hand up can benefit both the individual and larger society. Long term subsidizing of lifestyle harms everyone.

    Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

    "With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

    "Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

  16. #16
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,885
    WASHINGTON Most poor people who avail themselves of a U.S. government safety net program are off benefits within three years, according to a government survey that tracked individual people over time.


    Of the one-in-five Americans who participated in a program like Medicaid or food stamps from 2009 through 2012, the Census Bureau reported this week, 56 percent stopped participating within 36 months, while 43 percent lingered between three and four years. Nearly one-third quit receiving benefits within one year.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7470060.html​ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  17. #17
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by utbagpiper View Post
    Treats, whether rare or frequent should not be provided at taxpayer expense. Welfare should support life, not lifestyle, in my opinion.

    Put another way, there should be obvious incentives to providing for oneself rather than living on the dole.

    Lack of "treats"--including smart phones, alcohol, cigarettes, soda, and fast foods purchased with personal cash freed up by using EBT to buy "necessities" should be part of going on public assistance and would help encourage those receiving taxpayer support to minimize the time spent on the program. A short term hand up can benefit both the individual and larger society. Long term subsidizing of lifestyle harms everyone.

    Charles
    Rice and beans....
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  18. #18
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    I have a reasonable store of canned / dried foods which slowly get used &
    replaced. Buy low-cost foods that last a long time & have high nutrition,
    date them so the oldest ones are used first.
    Would get boring not having fresh food, but I'd do OK for a while.

    .

    What proof do you have that people using SNAP don't consider it a rare treat as well?
    Heck, with Papa Murphy's $10 Tuesday deal, and one of the stuffed pizzas, one pizza
    could be 8 meals. That's pretty economical, esp. if there's a salad or some other
    veggies on the side to help with overall nutrition, or you get one of the pizzas
    that has plenty of veggies.
    Making it fresh is even better & more economical.
    I worked at a grocery store's fuel kiosk.
    Those with EBT were the snottiest bunch that I ever dealt with.

    They would almost always buy nothing but junk food.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    WASHINGTON Most poor people who avail themselves of a U.S. government safety net program are off benefits within three years, according to a government survey that tracked individual people over time.


    Of the one-in-five Americans who participated in a program like Medicaid or food stamps from 2009 through 2012, the Census Bureau reported this week, 56 percent stopped participating within 36 months, while 43 percent lingered between three and four years. Nearly one-third quit receiving benefits within one year.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7470060.html​ipse
    Great..so 49% stay on the dole forever .... and 1/3rd of medicare patients die w/i a year ...



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •