• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Biology Teacher arms herself... with a yardstick.

DeSchaine

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” –Theodore Roosevelt

I wonder if that quote was running through Hartford, CT biology teacher Paula Butterfields mind as she took up arms, of a sort, and prepared to defend herself and her students against a suspected gunman in their school. Thankfully, the threat was a fake, and the student responsible for the threat was arrested.

This just goes to show that there are teachers out there who do want to defend themselves and their students, and that they need to be trained and better armed. A yardstick wielding teacher may be able to surprise a shooter, but most probably will not be able to stop them. Thankfully in this case, they didn't have to find out.

davidmcbeth

Banned
The attacker claimed to have a meter stick ... the showdown would have decided if the english or the metric system prevails [made up, or course]

However, a teacher IMO has zero obligation to act as security. If this was real and her room entered she'd be dead in milliseconds ...

The only people disarmed in a GFZ are those that should be armed.

Hartford? Craphole town full of commies ...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A yardstick is three times better than a 12" ruler when trying to reach out and touch someone. :p

As to true defense tools, any gun trumps a measuring stick.