• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry question

Big_Dog

Is it considered concealed in nc if only the grips are showing? Does the pistol have to be completely visible or just a part?

solus

Big Dog, i do not find any specific definition of 'concealed' after a review of 14-269.x; 14-415.10 - series NC statutes (http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByArticle/Chapter_14/Article_54B.html) & 12 NCAC 09F .0101; as well as the NC AG's Firearms Laws guide (http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx).

my frame of mind, if the grips are visible to JQPublic, it isn't concealed but remember, this is not legal advice..

is there a specific instance for your frame of reference?

ipse

added...big dog: since you haven't reached your majority and therefore can only OC in NC...a highly recommended suggestion...DO NOT put yourself into a position by splitting legal hairs based on advice you receive on a forum where you have to explain your firearm carry to nice LEs nor put yourself into judicial bind.

Last edited:

Big_Dog

Big Dog, i do not find any specific definition of 'concealed' after a review of 14-269.x; 14-415.10 - series NC statutes (http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByArticle/Chapter_14/Article_54B.html) & 12 NCAC 09F .0101; as well as the NC AG's Firearms Laws guide (http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx).

my frame of mind, if the grips are visible to JQPublic, it isn't concealed but remember, this is not legal advice..

is there a specific instance for your frame of reference?

ipse

added...big dog: since you haven't reached your majority and therefore can only OC in NC...a highly recommended suggestion...DO NOT put yourself into a position by splitting legal hairs based on advice you receive on a forum where you have to explain your firearm carry to nice LEs nor put yourself into judicial bind.

Thanks and I have a glock 23 but once I was at the store and when I got out the car I stuck it in my pocket. My holster wasn't with me and my friend told me that's considered concealment if only the grips are showing. Had to ask cause a LEO wouldn't answer my question apparently.

solus

Thanks and I have a glock 23 but once I was at the store and when I got out the car I stuck it in my pocket. My holster wasn't with me and my friend told me that's considered concealment if only the grips are showing. Had to ask cause a LEO wouldn't answer my question apparently.

sorta/kinda like learning about sex from a playground setting...

suggestion big dog...next time just put it on the seat next to you in a viable open carry modality. sticking a glock 23 w/o manual safety is risky towards an accidental discharge which could impact your experiencing what you learned on the playground. :uhoh:

and no the nice LEs are clueless which is why you do not wish to put yourself out there where you might have to play twenty questions with a clueless, but nice LE.

ipse

Big_Dog

sorta/kinda like learning about sex from a playground setting...

suggestion big dog...next time just put it on the seat next to you in a viable open carry modality. sticking a glock 23 w/o manual safety is risky towards an accidental discharge which could impact your experiencing what you learned on the playground. :uhoh:

and no the nice LEs are clueless which is why you do not wish to put yourself out there where you might have to play twenty questions with a clueless, but nice LE.

ipse
Thanks and when I do that I don't have a round chambered for that reason. I want to get a safety installed but I decided against it.

solus

Thanks and when I do that I don't have a round chambered for that reason. I want to get a safety installed but I decided against it.

lol...just thinking of continuing our nation's population with future citizens. :shocker:

ipse