Thread: Unicorn Spotted Today

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Unicorn Spotted Today

Went to get my Tuesday videos at a local store and a young man in line waiting for the store to open asks me what I carry. I told him. He then turned and showed he was OC, told me he usually conceals but after recent events felt the need to OC today. I asked if he heard of this site, nope was his reply. His friend who was with him then decided to OC too making 3 open carriers in the video line. I also liked his friends glock which made out to look like the nintendo gun....hahahha.

Invited them to our yearly pic-nic at Bloedel Donovan hope they show up.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

This is great news.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

I went to Arby's for a sandwich yesterday. The couple in line ahead of me kept glancing, but said nothing. After I ordered, the lady turned around and shook my hand, saying she was happy to see someone OC. I talked to th a bit about trying it themselves, grabbed them a pamphlet, and wrote the info for the picnic on the front. Super nice folks; I hope they make it to the picnic.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Went to get my Tuesday videos at a local store and a young man in line waiting for the store to open asks me what I carry. I told him. He then turned and showed he was OC, told me he usually conceals but after recent events felt the need to OC today. I asked if he heard of this site, nope was his reply. His friend who was with him then decided to OC too making 3 open carriers in the video line. I also liked his friends glock which made out to look like the nintendo gun....hahahha.

Invited them to our yearly pic-nic at Bloedel Donovan hope they show up.
    OMG!!!!! A genuine unicorn*!!!!!! Its gotta be...what?...five years since our last confirmed genuine unicorn?

*One needs to understand how the term came about. Back in the early days of OCDO, before the media attention to open carry, somebody (one of the Andrews, I think), pointed out something. It was in reference to people who spontaneously started to open carry. People who hadn't seen media reports about OC and its legality. Someone who hadn't heard of the (anti-gunner induced) controversy against OC. Somebody who just realized all on their own that OC was legal and decided to start OCing. Such a person, less concerned about public opinion than rights, was judged to be about as rare as a unicorn. Thus, the term unicorn: someone who decided to just up and OC all on his own without being told about this website or the legality of OC via the media.

There is an exception. I haven't seen them post for a while, but we do have a very few original unicorns on this forum. Maybe three. These were guys who were OCing before OCDO was founded. Mainly out west--Arizona, New Mexico, that sort of thing. Username "Sonora Rebel" was one. These guys make even us veterans look like rookies. My hat is off to the original unicorns.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    OMG!!!!! A genuine unicorn*!!!!!! Its gotta be...what?...five years since our last confirmed genuine unicorn?

*One needs to understand how the term came about. Back in the early days of OCDO, before the media attention to open carry, somebody (one of the Andrews, I think), pointed out something. It was in reference to people who spontaneously started to open carry. People who hadn't seen media reports about OC and its legality. Someone who hadn't heard of the (anti-gunner induced) controversy against OC. Somebody who just realized all on their own that OC was legal and decided to start OCing. Such a person, less concerned about public opinion than rights, was judged to be about as rare as a unicorn. Thus, the term unicorn: someone who decided to just up and OC all on his own without being told about this website or the legality of OC via the media.

There is an exception. I haven't seen them post for a while, but we do have a very few original unicorns on this forum. Maybe three. These were guys who were OCing before OCDO was founded. Mainly out west--Arizona, New Mexico, that sort of thing. Username "Sonora Rebel" was one. These guys make even us veterans look like rookies. My hat is off to the original unicorns.

+1

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

Quote Originally Posted by Boomboy007 View Post
    I went to Arby's for a sandwich yesterday. The couple in line ahead of me kept glancing, but said nothing. After I ordered, the lady turned around and shook my hand, saying she was happy to see someone OC. I talked to th a bit about trying it themselves, grabbed them a pamphlet, and wrote the info for the picnic on the front. Super nice folks; I hope they make it to the picnic.
    +1 This has been my experience too and they go up after shootings in spite of so called "pro gun" folks advice not to agitate people by carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    This is great news.
    +1 Yes indeed. Just your average everyday looking youth for Bellingham.

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    I have never heard this part of the legend before. Very interesting. Since I have been OC'ing from the time that I was about 16 years old, which is 55 years ago, and there was no OCDO then; I must be a unicorn. Gee, do I feel liberated. In Ky., OC was the only legal form of carry for all of my life, until 1996 when CC became legal. Of course, I didn't find out about and come to OCDO until 7 years ago. Do I get a special insignia or some certificate for this? You know, something to differentiate me from the little people.
    Ditto for me. I've been OCing since '91.

Hey, Gutshot and Mjones, I officially owe you an awkwardly long hug IRL. How's that? 😆
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Founder's Club Member

@ gutshot and mjones

More unicorns!! Great!!

Anybody else out there an unrecognized unicorn? C'mon. Don't be shy.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member

SNIP I was hoping for something a little more substantial
    I ain't touching that. Nope. No way.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomboy007 View Post
    Hey, Gutshot and Mjones, I officially owe you an awkwardly long hug IRL. How's that? 😆
    ROFL - guns get in the way of proper hugs.

When my granddaughter was still really little, maybe around 3-4 years old, she would come running across the room to give me a hug and clunk her head on my gun with great regularity (Concealed Carry in incorporated territories) After about a six months of that, and to this day (Shes 7 now), she runs up, pauses and carefully hugs so as not to damage herself. Its incredibly cute!

My current wife, my third and last, Milady, cemented our relationship when early on we hugged and she said, "Is that a gun or are you really that glad to see me?" Oh my, what a difference the years have made.

To be clear: wife-1 was a sailor's dream and hung around for a year, wife-2 is my doctor daughter's mother and I hung around for thirty years.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

More unicorns!! Great!!

My first OC ended with multiple jurisdictions' police cars and a Iowa State Patrol plane overhead - in 1979.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    More unicorns!! Great!!

Regularly. The more a person OCs where the population is dense enough, the more that will happen.

We ride, we educate, we score.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Regularly. The more a person OCs where the population is dense enough, the more that will happen.

We ride, we educate, we score.
    a clarification here oh Great One, when you mention 'dense' you are referring to numbers of, not mental acuity ~ right?

cuz here we lack the 'number of' but certainly have the dense folk!

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    a clarification here oh Great One, when you mention 'dense' you are referring to numbers of, not mental acuity ~ right?

cuz here we lack the 'number of' but certainly have the dense folk!

ipse
    Yep, referring to population density, number/mass of people in a given area.

No reference intended as to cognitive ability.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Founder's Club Member

EEK! I was quoted out of context. Out of context, I say. That is a forum rules violation. I have been slandered! Oh... wait a minute. Being gay is a good thing now, right. I can't remember which it is from day to day. Now, I don't know what to do. I am conflicted. I may have to go for "counseling". This is all your fault, Citizen.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim675 View Post
    My first OC ended with multiple jurisdictions' police cars and a Iowa State Patrol plane overhead - in 1979.
    Oh, that's just because you didn't "haiku" them first.

Readers Note:

Readers should know that
    Jim is a haiku master.
    Old times remembered,

Last edited by Citizen; 06-17-2016 at 07:40 PM.