Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Jeh Johnson: Gun control is now a matter of homeland security. DHS takes over.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,154

    Jeh Johnson: Gun control is now a matter of homeland security. DHS takes over.

    Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson on Tuesday said that gun control is now a critical element of protecting the U.S. homeland and keeping Americans safe.

    "We have to face the fact that meaningful gun control has to be a part of homeland security," Johnson said in an interview on "CBS This Morning." "We need to do something to minimize the opportunity for terrorists to get a gun in this country."

    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/orlando-...land-security/

    https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=...pid%3D15.1&f=1
    Last edited by Nightmare; 06-15-2016 at 04:51 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974
    Obama administration motto: If at first you don't succeed, lie, lie again.

    It is astounding how absolutely hell bent this administration is to ignore the law, break the law and infringe on the constitutional rights of Americans.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  3. #3
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Gun control = people control = power/money to the more elite.

    Wash, rinse, repeat.

    We must break this cycle and I believe we are in the process of doing just that. It will be a bumpy ride. Keep focused and your eyes on the horizon, look for motion, anything of concern.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 06-15-2016 at 07:12 AM. Reason: fixed
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,154

    Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results.

    I believe that there is something deeper and more sinister at work. Something related to the common misattribution of "Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results." to Albert Einstein, one of the very best of humanity when it actually comes from an attempt to elevate damaged beings.
    Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.
    Brown did include this quote in her book Sudden Death (Bantam Books, New York, 1983), p. 68, but it appears she was just paraphrasing a quote that had already been written elsewhere. The earliest known appearance of a similar quote is the "approval version" of the Narcotics Anonymous "Basic Text" released in November 1981, which included the quote "Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results." A PDF scan of the 1981 approval version can be found here, with the quote appearing on p. 11 (p. 25 of the PDF), at the end of the fourth paragraph (which begins "We have a disease; progressive, incurable and fatal").
    Here, but it is an image of the document too large to be up loaded.

    http://www.nauca.us/wp-content/uploa...Form-White.pdf

    Americans are proud of their anti-intellectualism for their fear of the hard work in study and learning and deep thought. It's easier to see the cause and effect of a sledgehammer than a pen nib, and of a TRUMP than an Einstein.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 06-15-2016 at 08:42 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Thundar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,961
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Gun control = people control = power/money to the more elite.

    Wash, rinse, repeat.

    We must break this cycle and I believe we are in the process of doing just that. It will be a bumpy ride. Keep focused and your eyes on the horizon, look for motion, anything of concern.
    The problem is that they cannot reliably identify the terrorists in advance. Orlando proved that. So how could they institute gun control that only impacts terrorists? They cannot so they will try to institute measures that have a chilling effect, or even a ban, for all gun buyers.

    They will trot out the security is more important than freedom argument.

    They will probably institute new reporting laws for dealers based upon the southwest states multiple rifle sales requirement. It might be something like report all assault rifle sales, giving the Feds the opportunity to define the assault rifle.

    We must be vigilant in our monitoring of these threats, we must be swift in responding to these assaults upon our rights and we must be decisive in our arguments against the erosion of our rights and freedom.

    Live free or die,
    Thundar
    Last edited by Thundar; 06-15-2016 at 08:43 AM.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

    The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,154
    How come no one here on OCDO is commenting on the Amarillo, TX, Wal-Mart hostage taking of last night? Our favorite topic, "guns at Wal-Mart", and Moslem Islamists - and black silence.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  7. #7
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Early reports indicate, could change of course, that a Iranian got upset because he was not promoted to head door greeter.

    Is there any evidence that the Walmart dude did it for Islam?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  8. #8
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Gun control = people control = power/money to the more elite.

    Wash, rinse, repeat.

    We must break this cycle and I believe we are in the process of doing just that. It will be a bumpy ride. Keep focused and your eyes on the horizon, look for motion, anything of concern.
    Senator Joe Manchin of West Virginia today on Fox said we have to fix the gun-show loophole where you can buy a gun right off the table without a background check.
    If you keep repeating a lie often enough, at some point it will be accepted as true.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,154

    Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results.

    So we are so blind to security that we can't even see the dots to connect. Remember None Dare Call It Treason

    https://www.amazon.com/None-Dare-Cal.../dp/0899667252

    Now none dare call it terrorism for fear of offending some snowflake in hell.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  10. #10
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,875
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    So we are so blind to security that we can't even see the dots to connect. Remember None Dare Call It Treason

    https://www.amazon.com/None-Dare-Cal.../dp/0899667252

    Now none dare call it terrorism for fear of offending some snowflake in hell.
    so nightmare, what objective evidence do we have, besides the stretch of DM's imagination, this event was done to "achieve a political, religious, or ideological aim." (of course from your favorite internet cite which you edit for)

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Homeland security issue? Well, we better get some more guns !

    What a lizzurd ....

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,154
    I'll bet that our self styled Diogenes thinks the Socratic Dialogues were really dialogues and conversations, not knowing that they are inventions of the author biographer.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  13. #13
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,875
    acknowledged as one of the initial founders of cynic philosophy, Diogenes of Sinope, quote...criticized and embarrassed Plato, disputed his interpretation of Socrates and sabotaged his lectures, sometimes distracting attendees by bringing food and eating during the discussions. Diogenes was also noted for having publicly mocked Alexander the Great. unquote Wiki ~ Diogenes of Sinope.

    so it appears, the revered words of today were nothing more than actual commentary held over dinner and gatherings, orally repeated and embellished, finally documented where the words became scholarly works until it became Socrates' gospel.

    perhaps...now if the lantern could be found, lited, to begin the search again...

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,154
    Read beyond your limited horizons to discover that Platonism (contra Aristotleanism) is the source of much modern ills.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  15. #15
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,875
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Read beyond your limited horizons to discover that Platonism (contra Aristotleanism) is the source of much modern ills.
    could the possibility exist that someone's perception of another's limited horizons could be skewed by their being mired in history's misinterpretation of ancient tomes translated over the ages by those who did not utter nor scribe them originally.

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Gun control = people control = power/money to the more elite. Wash, rinse, repeat. We must break this cycle and I believe we are in the process of doing just that. It will be a bumpy ride. Keep focused and your eyes on the horizon, look for motion, anything of concern.
    Agreed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson on Tuesday said that gun control is now a critical element of protecting the U.S. homeland and keeping Americans safe.
    The only type of gun control that ever amounted to a hill of beans is that which makes a person a more discerning, rapid, and accurate shooter.

    "We have to face the fact that meaningful gun control has to be a part of homeland security," Johnson said in an interview on "CBS This Morning." "We need to do something to minimize the opportunity for terrorists to get a gun in this country."
    By far the best way to keep terrorists from getting a gun in this country, Jeh, is to keep the terrorists out of the country. Many countries are banning all Islamic immigration for outstanding reasons, Jeh. Preventing terrorism is their number one reason.

    Terrorists don't need guns to terrorize. They've been terrorizing the world for 1,400, mostly without the use of firearms. Preventing them from obtaining guns is a foolish, unobtainable goal.

    A proper goal would be ensuring Americans are ready to stop terrorism dead in its tracks.

    Think on that.
    Last edited by since9; 06-15-2016 at 11:31 PM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Lynchburg
    Posts
    590
    Well, you know what they say-- Never let a good crisis go to waste.

    Nemo

  18. #18
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    could the possibility exist that someone's perception of another's limited horizons could be skewed by their being mired in history's misinterpretation of ancient tomes translated over the ages by those who did not utter nor scribe them originally.

    ipse
    More dead, long dead, white guys who may be the fathers of democracy but are certainly not the fathers of liberty.

    I get your point to be sure, but our history is ~3000 years more advanced. Influenced to be sure but far more advanced. Remember, kings had the final say on democracy back in that day.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  19. #19
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,875
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    More dead, long dead, white guys who may be the fathers of democracy but are certainly not the fathers of liberty.

    I get your point to be sure, but our history is ~3000 years more advanced. Influenced to be sure but far more advanced. Remember, kings had the final say on democracy back in that day.
    OC, of course you may believe the monarchy was in charge...i would like to throw out an alternative, quote: The early Christian writers Tertullian and Origen mention the existence of a British church in the third century AD and in the fourth century British bishops attended a number of the great councils of the Church such as the Council of Arles in 314 and the Council of Rimini in 359. unquote. https://www.churchofengland.org/abou...d-history.aspx

    the clergy, or pope or soothsayers or sorcerer or favorite concubine had more power at times then the monarch...

    ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  20. #20
    Regular Member paramedic70002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Franklin, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,448
    This is how democracy ends. DHS declares a national security emergency, POTUS approves, gun control begins on a large scale. POTUS becomes dictator for life. I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but dang, this is bold stuff coming from a Dept head. You know POTUS fed him that line.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

    Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

  21. #21
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    More dead, long dead, white guys who may be the fathers of democracy but are certainly not the fathers of liberty.

    I get your point to be sure, but our history is ~3000 years more advanced. Influenced to be sure but far more advanced. Remember, kings had the final say on democracy back in that day.
    REPUBLIC!

    Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  22. #22
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Another gift from Bush.
    There is no difference between the parties.....socialistic control.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,154
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Another gift from Bush.
    There is no difference between the parties.....socialistic control.
    Their progressivism has led US to a socialist democracy in the European model.

    So, which state will be the first to 'Brexit'?
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    This is how democracy ends. DHS declares a national security emergency, POTUS approves, gun control begins on a large scale. POTUS becomes dictator for life. I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but dang, this is bold stuff coming from a Dept head. You know POTUS fed him that line.
    Or is it how it begins? Do you want a democracy? Not me. I have my own best gov't model ideas. Nothing close to what we have today, anywhere on the globe.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,154
    Long ago it was determined that the best governor is the philosopher-king's benevolent dictatorship.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •