Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gotta question for some Okies's

Gotta question for some Okies's

Hey yall, I was just wondering if any of yall that live in Oklahoma City OC with just the level 1 retention holster? Just wondering if I was crazy and the only one who carried like that lol

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    I'm not from Oklahoma, but several of my favorite holsters have no retention other than a nice, tight fit. Situational awareness is much more important IMO.

OTOH - I do not like nor would I carry a generic, one size fits many, nylon holster.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Not me. I've been tempted to try it... but I really like my Serpa lol

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I'm not from Oklahoma, but several of my favorite holsters have no retention other than a nice, tight fit. Situational awareness is much more important IMO.

OTOH - I do not like nor would I carry a generic, one size fits many, nylon holster.
    I agree 100% that SA is number 1 on the list, and also I do not like the universal nylon holsters, thats a accident waitin to happen . I've got a kydex pj holster for my shield and it's got pretty tight retention.

Quote Originally Posted by mynameiscolb View Post
    Not me. I've been tempted to try it... but I really like my Serpa lol
    I've been tempted to get a serpa myself lol hear their good if you've got a noggin lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Okie_Boy_91 View Post
    I've been tempted to get a serpa myself lol hear their good if you've got a noggin lol.
    I kinda hedged by bet at first to make the point about situational awareness.

While I do not automatically discount other high-quality holsters, I must admit that my EDC 1911, does reside in a Serpa holster - net result is that 100% of my OC is in a retention holster, while an extremely small amount of CC is either in said Serpa or a very nice Galco for a compact Star M40. CC is not my routine - I only do so for most weddings and funerals (discretion/consideration) and/or when the property owner does not allow OC and my presence is not a matter of choice.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

I kinda hedged by bet at first to make the point about situational awareness.

While I do not automatically discount other high-quality holsters, I must admit that my EDC 1911, does reside in a Serpa holster - net result is that 100% of my OC is in a retention holster, while an extremely small amount of CC is either in said Serpa or a very nice Galco for a compact Star M40. CC is not my routine - I only do so for most weddings and funerals (discretion/consideration) and/or when the property owner does not allow OC and my presence is not a matter of choice.
    So you primarily carry in the serpa? Am I reading that right? As for my OP I was referring to a serpa being level 2 retention and just a friction holster being level 1. Just wondering if anybody carried just level 1 retention when OC, depending on the situation that day of course. I CC quite often but recently just started OC because of hotter weather and the ease and comfort of it and because Merica! Though I feel if I will be in high populated areas (crowds and tight filled spaces) I will conceal and or with weddings and such for discretion and consideration like you mentioned.
    Last edited by Okie_Boy_91; 06-17-2016 at 05:40 PM.

So you primarily carry in the serpa? --snipped--
    Correct.

EDC = everyday carry

How do you like the serpa?

I live in a semi-rural area and if just carrying around town shopping and stuff sometimes I'll OC level 1 if that's the holster/sidearm handy. But if I'm going somewhere at all crowded, even shopping at busy times, I only OC with a retention holster. If it is very crowded I usually CC unless it is an OC event of course.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

I pick the best (Serpa) and leave the rest.

Only one kydex holster could be considered better/stronger - the Safariland - and it is a duty style that projects too far from my hip. Also do not like the required release procedure.

I like the serpa a lot I have them for my Glocks, 1911 and XD they get more use now days then all the rest of the holsters I have.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

I pick the best (Serpa) and leave the rest.

Only one kydex holster could be considered better/stronger - the Safariland - and it is a duty style that projects too far from my hip. Also do not like the required release procedure.
    Yea I've looked at the Safariland holsters and it looks like it would protrude quite largely. With the serpa you could conceal it if you had too. Pretty solid holsters. But just wonderingif it would be worth the money to buy it since I already have an owb holster. On a budget so.. lol

Banned
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB81P0eyzhc

A 3-pt retention holstered gun I think -- guy trying to gain access to it.

I guess it depends on what risk you are willing to assume.

Kinda feel stupid for asking

What are you referring to as Mercia okie_boy_?

Love my Serpa. It's comfy and has a natural release.

Yea I've looked at the Safariland holsters and it looks like it would protrude quite largely. With the serpa you could conceal it if you had too. Pretty solid holsters. But just wonderingif it would be worth the money to buy it since I already have an owb holster. On a budget so.. lol
    I carry a Springfield XDM in a Safariland holster. It sits out quite far and you'll only be concealing it with a coat.

Hey yall, I was just wondering if any of yall that live in Oklahoma City OC with just the level 1 retention holster? Just wondering if I was crazy and the only one who carried like that lol
    I used to have a Ruger P90 that I carried in a Galco friction holster all over OKC/Edmond/Moore. No other retention involved. Did that for 3 years, it was the same holster I used to CC with prior to OC becoming legal. Had to replace my P90 and got a Ruger SR45. Carried in the same holster for awhile but really wasn't comfortable with doing that since the holster was not made for the SR45. Got a Safariland for the SR45, one where the release is done with the index finger as you wrap the grip with your hand.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be accepted as legal advice

Quote Originally Posted by hrdware View Post
    I used to have a Ruger P90 that I carried in a Galco friction holster all over OKC/Edmond/Moore. No other retention involved. Did that for 3 years, it was the same holster I used to CC with prior to OC becoming legal. Had to replace my P90 and got a Ruger SR45. Carried in the same holster for awhile but really wasn't comfortable with doing that since the holster was not made for the SR45. Got a Safariland for the SR45, one where the release is done with the index finger as you wrap the grip with your hand.
    Blackhawk Serpa utilizes an index finger activated release which locks on the trigger guard.

To my knowledge, Safariland only uses a thumb button release which locks on the ejection port of a semi-auto.

Blackhawk Serpa utilizes an index finger activated release which locks on the trigger guard.

To my knowledge, Safariland only uses a thumb button release which locks on the ejection port of a semi-auto.
    Safariland has a Grip Lock System line of holsters: https://www.safariland.com/category-...-holsters.html

I looked at serpa holsters but they didn't have one that I could find for the Ruger SR45. Stumbled across the Safariland and picked that up instead. In short, your index finger trips the release when you wrap your hand around the grip to draw.

Quote Originally Posted by hrdware View Post
    Safariland has a Grip Lock System line of holsters: https://www.safariland.com/category-...-holsters.html

I looked at serpa holsters but they didn't have one that I could find for the Ruger SR45. Stumbled across the Safariland and picked that up instead. In short, your index finger trips the release when you wrap your hand around the grip to draw.
    I made the same choice for my SR45 when I found out that there isn't a Serpa that fits it. My current EDC is an SR9, but I foresee rotating the SR45 in at some time. To maintain the same holster style between the two I had to go the adjustable Safariland route. Just an observation, but if you are releasing the Grip Lock with your trigger finger you are doing it wrong. The middle finger, pressing into the bottom of the trigger guard, is what unlocks the pistol. Your index finger should be alongside the holster, dropping into place alongside the slide as you draw.

Quote Originally Posted by websterz View Post
    I made the same choice for my SR45 when I found out that there isn't a Serpa that fits it. --snipped--
    I've just seen where it is claimed that the Blackhawk #13 Serpa holster will work for the SR45.

I've just seen where it is claimed that the Blackhawk #13 Serpa holster will work for the SR45.
    Oh really? Any chance you could share a link? I really miss my Serpa!

Oh really? Any chance you could share a link? I really miss my Serpa!
    It is a single post dated 9/10/13 on RugerForum.com
    http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/vie...p?f=2&t=188100

Suggest finding one in a local shop and trying the fit.

I made the same choice for my SR45 when I found out that there isn't a Serpa that fits it. My current EDC is an SR9, but I foresee rotating the SR45 in at some time. To maintain the same holster style between the two I had to go the adjustable Safariland route. Just an observation, but if you are releasing the Grip Lock with your trigger finger you are doing it wrong. The middle finger, pressing into the bottom of the trigger guard, is what unlocks the pistol. Your index finger should be alongside the holster, dropping into place alongside the slide as you draw.
    You are correct....middle finger trips the release not the index finger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast