• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gotta question for some Okies's

websterz

Safariland has a Grip Lock System line of holsters: https://www.safariland.com/category-landing/gls-holsters.html

I looked at serpa holsters but they didn't have one that I could find for the Ruger SR45. Stumbled across the Safariland and picked that up instead. In short, your index finger trips the release when you wrap your hand around the grip to draw.

I made the same choice for my SR45 when I found out that there isn't a Serpa that fits it. My current EDC is an SR9, but I foresee rotating the SR45 in at some time. To maintain the same holster style between the two I had to go the adjustable Safariland route. Just an observation, but if you are releasing the Grip Lock with your trigger finger you are doing it wrong. The middle finger, pressing into the bottom of the trigger guard, is what unlocks the pistol. Your index finger should be alongside the holster, dropping into place alongside the slide as you draw.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

hrdware

I made the same choice for my SR45 when I found out that there isn't a Serpa that fits it. My current EDC is an SR9, but I foresee rotating the SR45 in at some time. To maintain the same holster style between the two I had to go the adjustable Safariland route. Just an observation, but if you are releasing the Grip Lock with your trigger finger you are doing it wrong. The middle finger, pressing into the bottom of the trigger guard, is what unlocks the pistol. Your index finger should be alongside the holster, dropping into place alongside the slide as you draw.

You are correct....middle finger trips the release not the index finger.

hrdware

Kebler414

When I OC my Springfield XD9, I utilize a Savoy Leather combo holster (iwb/owb). It is a friction only/ lvl 1 retention. I usually only wear it when I am in my Hometown. Otherwise will OC with a paddle holster or something with a tad more retention.
IMG_5900.jpgIMG_5901.jpg

Last edited:

websterz

#13 Serpa holster does NOT fit the Ruger SR45. The pistol will fit into the holster physically, but the retention lug is too short to properly engage the trigger guard. The pistol slides out with no evidence of any secondary retention. Also, the holster does not cover the mag release button leaving the chance of an inadvertent Mag drop. The search continues…😞

websterz

In the interest of keeping the same style holster for all three of my carry pistols I ordered an Alien Gear Cloak Mod 3.0 that should be here this week. The same shell should fit both my SR9 and my SR45, leaving me to purchase only a 1911 shell to cover all three guns. On the rare occasion that I know I'll have to conceal I go with my CZ-82 in a homemade Crossbreed style IWB rig. Can't wait to get that AG in the mail, heard nothing but good things about them!