• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State to state?

Farmlife

Live in VA, vacationing in NC (obx) is OC ok, I know the general rules of OC. But is there anything specific to obx. Am I even allowed?

jackrockblc

This depends entirely upon the state you're visiting (NC, in this case). You'll need to research those laws, and it's pretty typical that your state of origin matters not at all.

For an easy reference here is the Handgunlaw.us page for North Carolina. Gary keeps it pretty up-to-date, so you can generally trust the info there unless recent laws have been passed in the state.

solus

Live in VA, vacationing in NC (obx) is OC ok, I know the general rules of OC. But is there anything specific to obx. Am I even allowed?

mod could we move this to NC's home?

welcome to the forum Farmlife, first the standard caveat ~ this is personal advice since i am not attorney so take it for what it is worth
1. NC is a OC gold standard for OC
2. the following reading material, section D (page 25) discusses transporting firearms in the state. there are no statues specifically governing transporting firearms, BUT officer safety is paramount!! please ensure your copy is dated Dec 15. http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx
3. you must declare concealed firearms to the nice LE who just pulled you over...
4. the above cite provides places you can not carry and so forth...

enjoy your vacation...

final thought...remember OBX is a tourist hot spot so you might run into all sorts of citizens who not familiar with our OC customs so be tolerate and play nice with them.

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

davidmcbeth

Banned
This depends entirely upon the state you're visiting (NC, in this case). You'll need to research those laws, and it's pretty typical that your state of origin matters not at all.

For an easy reference here is the Handgunlaw.us page for North Carolina. Gary keeps it pretty up-to-date, so you can generally trust the info there unless recent laws have been passed in the state.

I think that the OP wanted you to provide answers to specific questions not posed.

However, your advice is best....what, want to take advice from an online forum only? Good luck. Better hope for a freedom minded citizen on a jury (maybe), like me :).

Happy travels to the OP. He should be working to eliminate all gun laws.

Last edited: