• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in West Cliffe area?

ruskiegunlover

Back again, hey everyone.

Will be taking my second hiking trip to Colorado, to do the Horn Lakes Trail July 21st -23rd. Going with the same group that I went with last year to Marvine Lakes.

My buddy and his younger brother, the last time they were here, ran into a large blackbear rummaging through a hiking pack that had been sat down. Scared the hell out of them, as it did not just run off. Did not attack....But did not run off. So, I am again planning on exercising my 2nd rights as an American and Kansas CCW holder and intend to carry my Sig p220 45. I will ccw until the hike,. Just wanted to make sure I am not missing anything here, and that the West Cliffe area is ok with it, as I know Denver is not.

Thanks everyone! Anyone else do this hike? See any large all black racoons (blackbears)?

Dario

Never been there but I can't imagine you would have any problems, we are arguably the best OC state in the Union (sans Denver) :D

F350

I lived in Colorado for several years. Open Carry is constitutional; as in written into the constitution Article II (Bill of Rights) Section 13.....
Section 13. Right to bear arms. The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question; but nothing herein contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons.

Only Denver city/county is except due to them finding a libritard judge. A few cities (Colorado Springs) had to be sued a couple times under Title 42 USC 1983, 1985, 1986 before they learned not to infringe on peoples rights.

I open Carried the whole time I lived there and the only "problem" I encountered was people thanking me for carrying (one Mother's Day I swear I had a dozen people thank me, including a couple LEO) not sure exactly where it is you are planning on going but the Western Slope is what I call "Free Colorado" you would have NO problem there.

ruskiegunlover

I am carrying mainly for bear. I read all kinds of stuff online about how .45acp would suck.....But then again black bears aren't that big, or so I thought. I have a pump 12 gauge.....Legal to hike in with that?

ruskiegunlover

I would probably carry the shotgun in my hands the whole time. Nothing illegal about that?

Looking at getting tinto a traditions SAA 1873 colt lc possibly.