Thread: Senate Gun control proposals again doomed by partisan gridlock

Senate Gun control proposals again doomed by partisan gridlock

They agreed on the need to “do something” about guns in the wake of Orlando, but senators couldn’t find the sweet spot Monday, instead retreating to partisan corners and stalemating on competing plans to try to keep firearms out of the hands of terrorists. Democrats said Republicans didn’t go far enough, while GOP lawmakers said the Democrats’ proposals ran roughshod over Second Amendment rights, denying Americans the right to buy a gun by ending up on one of the FBI’s secret watch lists.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...rtisan-gridlo/

TRUMP the progressive establishment.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

bottom line:

business as usual...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

State Researcher
    Looks like our Constitutional system worked just like it was supposed to. It is supposed to be difficult to pass laws as most often, laws have the effect of limiting personal decisions in some way. It should require broad and deep support to pass laws. Laws passed in the heat of the moment often end up having a lot of unintended and unwanted consequences. Laws should be passed only upon serious deliberation and only after determining that the law falls within constitutional bounds, that it is necessary, and that no lower level of government is better equipped to deal with the issue.

So today we got to find out who supported RKBA, who was lukewarm and willing to give away some of our rights, and who is virulently hostile to our RKBA. And this without actually losing anything.

Sounds like a decent day all around.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Our constitutional system worked?

A a new gun law not being sent to the executive branch is but a mere artifact, a side effect nothing more, of political critters sure in their knowledge that they would/could lose their job next election cycle...as the NRA promised they would.

A working constitutional system would result in the repeal of all prior restraint gun laws. The impeachment of any federal judge who supports/affirms prior restraint laws. The jailing of any cop/prosecutor who lies while doing their official duties. The elimination of QI and Terry v. Ohio.

Then reality sets in...no, our constitutional system has not "worked" in many decades.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post

A a new gun law not being sent to the executive branch is but a mere artifact, a side effect nothing more, of political critters sure in their knowledge that they would/could lose their job next election cycle...as the NRA promised they would.

A working constitutional system would result in the repeal of all prior restraint gun laws. The impeachment of any federal judge who supports/affirms prior restraint laws. The jailing of any cop/prosecutor who lies while doing their official duties. The elimination of QI and Terry v. Ohio.

Then reality sets in...no, our constitutional system has not "worked" in many decades.
    And we the people let it happen.
    I have fought city hall in the past and won. I am fighting city hall now and I bet I'll win, the facts and law are on my side.
    Last edited by color of law; 06-21-2016 at 09:18 AM. Reason: grammar

Republicans have vowed more "gun control" and were upset no additional laws (none of which would have stopped the Orlando shooter) were passed. Statist POS's Cornyn, Collins, and Toomey are still working on unconstitutional compromises.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Banned
    The only thing that could have stopped the Orlando shooter was if another shooter (or bomb, etc.) got there first.

Given the fact it was a GFZ (sorry, killing zone).

State Researcher
    Yes. In this instance it worked. Some measure of reason, combined with electoral accountability combined to overcome emotion to prevent a bad law from passing.

We have many problems, no doubt. But at the State level, the past 3 decades have seen a tremendous shift toward greater respect for RKBA. The vast majority of States now have non-discriminatory, shall-issue permits. Open carry has gained increased acceptance both socially and legally. In the last few years, eight States have joined Vermont in statutorily respecting the right to carry discretely without needing permits.

Heller and McDonald have been important judicial stepping stones at the federal level.

Much work remains on RKBA. But in the last 30 years we've made tremendous progress in the right direction. And we've done so peacefully, without bloodshed, riots, loss of property, or other such untoward problems.

In many areas outside RKBA, even more work remains. But our system of government continues to be the best conceived. For better and worse, we get the government we deserve, collectively if not individually.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    The only thing that could have stopped the Orlando shooter was if another shooter (or bomb, etc.) got there first.

Given the fact it was a GFZ (sorry, killing zone).
    or the heavily fortified nice LEs had gone in...

now there is a concept...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Yeah gridlock!
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    or the heavily fortified nice LEs had gone in...

now there is a concept...

ipse
    Talking in the abstract there Solus ! They were busy .... [Is he dead yet? OK, good...now go! GO GO GO]

Gridlock?

Not so fast...
    Perceiving a shift in congressional sentiment and a distinct political advantage, gun control advocates are not about to give up now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/30/us...ress.html?_r=0
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare