• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non-Resident Open Carry

DB35

I will be visiting CO next summer and was hoping to obtain a non-resident CC permit but found out this is not possible. I was researching and it appears that I can open carry with out a permit as non-resident but I wanted to check to see if anyone knew different.

davidmcbeth

Banned
You got a CC permit from Illinois ? Like to hear more about your experience.

I carried in Dupage county for years...well before the court cases of recent history. DAs would not take action with carriers in DuPage Co. (and others).

DB35

You got a CC permit from Illinois ? Like to hear more about your experience.

I carried in Dupage county for years...well before the court cases of recent history. DAs would not take action with carriers in DuPage Co. (and others).

I just completed the required Illinois training class and applied for my permit so no experience yet. I also applied for a Florida permit, CO recognizes Florida's permit but only if you are a resident of Florida.

F350

I lived in Colorado for several years; open carry is truly constitutional the right to carry is in Article II (Bill of Rights)...

Section 13. Right to bear arms. The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question; but nothing herein contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons.

You will note it explicitly does not cover concealed carry. The city/county of Denver found a libritard judge to exempt them from this section of the constitution, so no open carry in Denver (although a cyber buddy from Aurora CO did with no problems as there is a "traveling" exemption but you are taking a chance).

I open carried every where except Denver and the only "problem" I encountered was people thanking me for carrying (including LEO), asking questions about the gun laws etc. Some towns (Colorado Springs) had to be sued under Title 42 USC 1983, 1985, 1986 a couple times before they learned, most towns are now well aware of not infringing peoples right to open carry.

You should be fine OCing in CO.

Tneedham

Good Morning Colorado OCers!

I'm from NoDak, and I hold a Class 1 CCW in North Dakota and I know that I am legally allowed to OC in Colorado, and if I wanted to conceal I could. However, my question is about carrying with a round chambered.

I called the Colorado Springs, CO PD and I what I got was, "I don't think you can have one in the chamber, but don't quote me on that." .... <- So I did. :)

I'll be there at the end of the month, and I just want to know whether or not a chambered round is Kosher or not. The reason I ask, NoDak defines "loaded firearm" as a round in the chamber or in any of the cylinders of a revolver. So you can openly carry a pistol with a full mag loaded in the pistol, but nothing in the chamber with no permit, but to put a round in the chamber then qualifies that firearm as "loaded" and a CCW is required to openly carry it at that point, (hence my CCW).

So, can I chamber a round in Colorado or not?

Thanks!

Last edited:

solus

I'm from NoDak, and I hold a Class 1 CCW in North Dakota and I know that I am legally allowed to OC in Colorado, and if I wanted to conceal I could. However, my question is about carrying with a round chambered.

I called the Colorado Springs, CO PD and I what I got was, "I don't think you can have one in the chamber, but don't quote me on that." .... <- So I did. :)

I'll be there at the end of the month, and I just want to know whether or not a chambered round is Kosher or not. The reason I ask, NoDak defines "loaded firearm" as a round in the chamber or in any of the cylinders of a revolver. So you can openly carry a pistol with a full mag loaded in the pistol, but nothing in the chamber with no permit, but to put a round in the chamber then qualifies that firearm as "loaded" and a CCW is required to openly carry it at that point, (hence my CCW).

Thanks!

well you have partially answered the first of your questions yourself, by stating you are legally able to OC in Colorado ~ except in Denver & Denver county proper. long story, more than adequately discussed on the forum, and you can search out the particulars yourself.

now to the crux of your query...yes you can!

now since you have previously stated you have followed the forum for years, why would you call the nice COS PD ? especially since you didn't like or disagreed with the answer they provided?

welcome, enjoy the discussions and safe journey's to COS and other parts of state.

ipse

Tneedham

why would you call the nice COS PD

I like to call local law enforcement of where I will be traveling for a few reasons.

#1) It lets them know that someone from out of state will be carrying in their city at some point in the future.
#2) I can gauge the overall attitude of the police force by asking the question over the phone. For Example, if I get the response of, "Well, you can legally carry it open but we don't see that very often, and you may be contacted by an officer." I can make a decision based on my schedule whether I have time for a potential lengthy conversation or not. VS. COS police officer saying, "Yes we have reciprocity with North Dakota so you are more than welcome to carry your weapon concealed here, but if that is inconvenient to you we also have Open Carry, so if you are at all worried about it you can go ahead and just carry it in the Open." I know that when I go to COS, I likely won't have any issues with law enforcement.
#3) If anything happens, I can say "On this date I called the *city* police department and asked specifically about this issue and was told .... "

And, about me not liking/disagreeing with what I was told about a chambered round, I actually was just looking for clarification. Since the answer was, "I don't think" followed by "..but don't quote me on that". I would rather have something that I know for sure.

Mostly because, if I can legally chamber, I'm going to. Why would anyone carry a gun without a round in the chamber if the purpose for said weapon is self defense?

Thank you for your answer!

F350

Thanks!
No round in the chamber is next to completely unloaded; worthless as **** on a boar hog. the only time no round in the chamber applies is if you are hunting and have your firearm in a vehicle. I'm not much on carrying a long gun for personal protection but it may apply to a long gun in a vehicle period. Handgun; load up and chamber away.

P.S. Colorado Springs is one of the cities that had to be sued a couple times to get them to respect the open cary right, very anti. I think if they had their way they would all fireaems locked in the PD.

77zach

No round in the chamber is next to completely unloaded; worthless as **** on a boar hog. the only time no round in the chamber applies is if you are hunting and have your firearm in a vehicle. I'm not much on carrying a long gun for personal protection but it may apply to a long gun in a vehicle period. Handgun; load up and chamber away.

P.S. Colorado Springs is one of the cities that had to be sued a couple times to get them to respect the open cary right, very anti. I think if they had their way they would all fireaems locked in the PD.
F 350, I'm considering moving to Colorado but am nervous, do you have your finger on the pulse of Colorado political life? I know I can drive up to Wyoming and buy standard mags if I need to but I'm concerned that such a thing could pass in the first place and it will be very difficult to get it repealed.

Knowing Fl politics mag bans and private sale bans would be unthinkable in Florida, despite our OC ban. Even after Orlando, when Democrat scum introduce legislation next session, it won't even be heard.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dario

F 350, I'm considering moving to Colorado but am nervous, do you have your finger on the pulse of Colorado political life? I know I can drive up to Wyoming and buy standard mags if I need to but I'm concerned that such a thing could pass in the first place and it will be very difficult to get it repealed.

Knowing Fl politics mag bans and private sale bans would be unthinkable in Florida, despite our OC ban. Even after Orlando, when Democrat scum introduce legislation next session, it won't even be heard.

Coloradoans, including law enforcement have for the most part scoffed at the mag limit laws. One doesn't even need to go to WY anymore to get one.

77zach

Coloradoans, including law enforcement have for the most part scoffed at the mag limit laws. One doesn't even need to go to WY anymore to get one.
That's great, but is still cause for concern. You're at the mercy of law enforcement's feelings.

So gun stores are importing new 30 round pmags and selling them?

Brass

My two local merchants of death sell the mags that have more than fifteen round capacity as a "parts kit." The take the mag apart and then warn you that if you put this mag together as one unit, you may be breaking Colorado State law. As for the no round in a long gun law while in a vehicle, that is a hard law and includes motorcycles and snow mobiles, Colo. Rev. Stat. § 33-6-125.

As for the political climate, the recent spate of gun laws here in Colorado were bought and paid for by Bloomberg and against the will of the majority. 3 dem politicians lost their seats over it. Now that's not to say we aren't still swinging left because of the cities, but guns have the majority of the PEOPLE behind them.

solus

That's great, but is still cause for concern. You're at the mercy of law enforcement's feelings.

So gun stores are importing new 30 round pmags and selling them?

if the retailers have Colorado shipment addresses, "MOST" distributors will not ship them in as it violates: http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics...fo=off&searchtype=get&search=C.R.S.+18-12-302.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/si...al Guidance on Large-Cap Magazine Ban (1).pdf on page two talks about 'modifying' mag's capacity.

there is no wiggle room...any mag over 15 rounds is not allowed in CO as outlined by cite above. yes it is a misdemeanor...but 77, you are now under judicial scrutiny of the nice LEs who may believe your cache of firearms need their oversight for safe keeping until you work your issues out through the court system.

ipse

F350

if the retailers have Colorado shipment addresses, "MOST" distributors will not ship them in as it violates: http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics...fo=off&searchtype=get&search=C.R.S.+18-12-302.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/si...al Guidance on Large-Cap Magazine Ban (1).pdf on page two talks about 'modifying' mag's capacity.

there is no wiggle room...any mag over 15 rounds is not allowed in CO as outlined by cite above. yes it is a misdemeanor...but 77, you are now under judicial scrutiny of the nice LEs who may believe your cache of firearms need their oversight for safe keeping until you work your issues out through the court system.

ipse

Not true Mags capable of holding more than 15 rounds manufactured after the effective date of the law are illegal mags made/possessed prior to the law are legal. Who's to say when you came into possession of an unmarked metal mag, heck I have unopened metal mags from prior to the '94 ban.

Plastic mags usually have mold numbers that could be used to establish manufacture date, metal/military surplus usually have no markings are nearly impossible to date.

A couple years after the law I was in a gun shop north of Denver that had 30 and 120 round AR mags sitting on the shelf and made a comment to the owner about glad to see he was following the law. He laughed and said "No one cares" he said he started selling "repair kits" and no one cared so he started selling the mags, then he laughed and said "I sold a couple 30 round AR mags to the local prosecutor a couple weeks ago; no body around here cares". YMMV. I ran into my local sheriff at an arts & craft show (I was OCing) and got to talking guns, I asked how LEO were to know when a mag was manufactured, he said "Like anyone around here gives a (shat)"

solus

Not true Mags capable of holding more than 15 rounds manufactured after the effective date of the law are illegal mags made/possessed prior to the law are legal. Who's to say when you came into possession of an unmarked metal mag, heck I have unopened metal mags from prior to the '94 ban.

Plastic mags usually have mold numbers that could be used to establish manufacture date, metal/military surplus usually have no markings are nearly impossible to date.

A couple years after the law I was in a gun shop north of Denver that had 30 and 120 round AR mags sitting on the shelf and made a comment to the owner about glad to see he was following the law. He laughed and said "No one cares" he said he started selling "repair kits" and no one cared so he started selling the mags, then he laughed and said "I sold a couple 30 round AR mags to the local prosecutor a couple weeks ago; no body around here cares". YMMV. I ran into my local sheriff at an arts & craft show (I was OCing) and got to talking guns, I asked how LEO were to know when a mag was manufactured, he said "Like anyone around here gives a (shat)"

uh, huh...hold that thought in light of current events...bottom line, CO law forbids sale & possession of high capacity mags..therefore you are, on this public forum, advocating to members to break those laws, a violation of forum rules.

if you believe the nice sheriff will collaborate to a judical hearing what he told you...then you deserve the repercussions.

ipse

Dario

Solus,

I suggest you find a dictionary and look up what the term "advocate" means.

I also suggest you learn to capitalize your sentences.

solus

Solus,

I suggest you find a dictionary and look up what the term "advocate" means.

I also suggest you learn to capitalize your sentences.

hummmm, yepper used the word, "advocating" properly...

might i inquire how did i misuse that term during my last post? just so we have the same starting point dario!!

i await your response..

ipse