• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ss. Badger

easy

I'm planning a trip from Ludington to Wisconsin on the uss badger .
I have a CPL and was planning to keep my gun locked up in my car while on the trip across the lake then driving north back to michigan and around, are there any known issues?
Thank You

Firearms Iinstuctor

Wis and Mi are both carry states un less the ferry line has specic rules I don't know why you need to lock it up

I searched their web site and didn't see any thing mention about firearms.

Last edited:

Tucker6900

Wis and Mi are both carry states un less the ferry line has specic rules I don't know why you need to lock it up

I searched their web site and didn't see any thing mention about firearms.

I could be mistaken, and I only found the information on Wikipedia...but it appears the SS Badger is run by the Lake Michigan Ferry Service. It appears to be operated and maintained by the state, so given that, state property. And if my memory serves me correctly, its legal to carry on property "owned" by the State of Michigan. Can someone correct me please if I am wrong?

Last edited:

Hevymetal

Depending on their policy, you may need to declare it to the Capt. if you are going to carry it on your person during the voyage. If you are locking it up then you have nothing to declare. Either way it shouldn't be an issue.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I could be mistaken, and I only found the information on Wikipedia...but it appears the SS Badger is run by the Lake Michigan Ferry Service. It appears to be operated and maintained by the state, so given that, state property. And if my memory serves me correctly, its legal to carry on property "owned" by the State of Michigan. Can someone correct me please if I am wrong?

Depending on their policy, you may need to declare it to the Capt. if you are going to carry it on your person during the voyage. If you are locking it up then you have nothing to declare. Either way it shouldn't be an issue.
imho - NO NEED TO DECLARE ANY MORE - IS AN EXTENSION OF THE STATE HIGHWAY SYSTEM.

http://www.ssbadger.com/news-media/us-10-designation.html

[url]https://wcmu.org/news/?p=16822

[/URL]

easy

I'm planning a trip from Ludington to Wisconsin on the uss badger .
I have a CPL and was planning to keep my gun locked up in my car while on the trip across the lake then driving north back to michigan and around, are there any known issues?
Thank You

I was the first one at the entrance to the uss badger for loading cars, there is a sign that reads you must declare your weapons and there is a guard with a dog checking cars for explosives.
I told him that there were two hand guns locked in the back of my jeep and the guard said that was fine and to keep them lock up in the jeep.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I was the first one at the entrance to the uss badger for loading cars, there is a sign that reads you must declare your weapons and there is a guard with a dog checking cars for explosives.
I told him that there were two hand guns locked in the back of my jeep and the guard said that was fine and to keep them lock up in the jeep.

I would not declare. That's lizzurd thinking.

How do you know the dog was not there checking for drugs v. explosives? They have a warrant to search your vehicle with the dog? RS or PC? Then its assumed to be a search in violation of the 4th amendment.

easy

I would not declare. That's lizzurd thinking.

How do you know the dog was not there checking for drugs v. explosives? They have a warrant to search your vehicle with the dog? RS or PC? Then its assumed to be a search in violation of the 4th amendment.

I did not say they searched any cars, They walked around them with the dog.