Thread: Baseball team's handgun open carry night promotes 2nd Amendment rights

Moderator / Administrator

Baseball team's handgun open carry night promotes 2nd Amendment rights

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/...rry_night.html

SNIP

BATTLE CREEK, MI – Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and handguns?

Handgun owners have been invited to bring their side arms – openly carried and holstered with a concealed weapons permit – to the Battle Creek Bombers minor league baseball game on Friday evening.

The team, with sponsor Freedom Firearms, is hosting "2nd Amendment Education Night" at the 7 p.m., June 24, game at C.O. Brown Stadium in Battle Creek.

"It's as American as baseball and apple pie," Joel Fulton, co-owner of Freedom Firearms, said of bearing firearms. "And firearms are part of the fabric of our society."

. . .

I wish I found about this earlier. I would have made plans to attend.

Banned
    Play Ball ! I said .. PLAY BALL

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Handgun owners have been invited to bring their side arms – openly carried and holstered with a concealed weapons permit – to the Battle Creek Bombers minor league baseball game on Friday evening.

. . .
    SO, all the Legal owners of handguns who can Open Carry without a CPL are not allowed? Would that be due to the entertainment/sports facility status of the venue? Or maybe the alcohol on premises portion? They HAVE given permission, but only to a portion of the Law Abiding Citizens!
    Last edited by MI_XD; 06-24-2016 at 11:09 AM.

Just wondering

How did it work out on Friday night?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpro2a View Post
    Nobody came back to say.

Quote Originally Posted by fjpro2a View Post
    Auto Play Video warning - http://fox17online.com/2016/06/24/ba...endment-night/
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

Quote Originally Posted by MI_XD View Post
    SO, all the Legal owners of handguns who can Open Carry without a CPL are not allowed? Would that be due to the entertainment/sports facility status of the venue? Or maybe the alcohol on premises portion? They HAVE given permission, but only to a portion of the Law Abiding Citizens!
    That was my first thought, too, but I'm ignorant of Michigan laws on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71
    Auto Play Video warning - (link)
    First, thanks for the warning, I hate sites that do that, so being prepared for it was nice.

FUQ:
    There were some concerns that warranted increased security and police presence at the game. Anyone who had a ticket to Friday's game who didn't feel comfortable attending could exchange their tickets for another night.
    Seriously? What concerns? I call BS.

And does that mean it was a one-time or special thing, and that we would not be allowed any other night? Or just not especially advertised to be welcome?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Very neat idea - I will suggest this to the Dallas team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

All open carriers, with or without CPL, were allowed to carry. Non-CPL owners were given permission because they serve alcohol. This was discussed much beforehand over at MOC.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    And does that mean it was a one-time or special thing, and that we would not be allowed any other night? Or just not especially advertised to be welcome?
    This event was a one-time special thing. OCers are always welcome, but non-CPL holders were given special permission this time because of alcohol. I don't know that the permission is universal and forever.

The attendance was spectacular, much higher than normal, and I believe they are looking at making it an annual event. I think I read that somewhere.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

Thanks for the update and details. Even if they don't advertise it, why not grant the legally-required permission in perpetuity? It would be nice not to be treated as "special."

I wish my local ball club would do this, but even if the minor league team (Las Vegas 51s) wanted to, they play at a city facility that legally bans concealed carry and illegally bans open carry, with impunity.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    All open carriers, with or without CPL, were allowed to carry. Non-CPL owners were given permission because they serve alcohol. This was discussed much beforehand over at MOC.
    Griffin,
    I am on the MOC forum every day, and I did not see anything about Non CPL Open Carry being discussed.

And I am a paid up member, also.
    Last edited by MI_XD; 06-26-2016 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    . This was discussed much beforehand over at MOC.
    forums or facebook? some of us dont want everything we like/post so easily searched

Griffin,
    I am on the MOC forum every day, and I did not see anything about Non CPL Open Carry being discussed.

And I am a paid up member, also.
    guessing FB and not forums
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

Griffin,
    There was much discussion about it on the MOC facebook group page. In general I am not a fan of facebook, but unfortunately most people are so that is where a lot of discussion goes on.

Also, it was not announced until after the June 2016 newsletter was published at the beginning of the month else I would have included the event and info there.

MOC threw out the first pitch.
    Last edited by griffin; 06-27-2016 at 08:19 PM.
    Wheels

Last edited by griffin; 06-28-2016 at 02:55 PM.
    Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    Very neat idea - I will suggest this to the Dallas team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Texas specifically bars CHL holders from carrying at professional sporting events, unfortunately

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Taypo View Post
    Texas specifically bars CHL holders from carrying at professional sporting events, unfortunately
    And how can the gov't tell property owners what they can and cannot do on their own private land?

Solution? Ban all gov't employees from their land.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    And how can the gov't tell property owners what they can and cannot do on their own private land?

Solution? Ban all gov't employees from their land.
    Depending on which team the poster is referring to, it was probably funded in part by public money. Which kind of defeats the private property argument.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Nobody came back to say.
    Anybody come back yet, David? It's been over a week. This is very confusing to me.