• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Baseball team's handgun open carry night promotes 2nd Amendment rights

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2016/06/baseball_teams_gun_carry_night.html

SNIP

BATTLE CREEK, MI – Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and handguns?

Handgun owners have been invited to bring their side arms – openly carried and holstered with a concealed weapons permit – to the Battle Creek Bombers minor league baseball game on Friday evening.

The team, with sponsor Freedom Firearms, is hosting "2nd Amendment Education Night" at the 7 p.m., June 24, game at C.O. Brown Stadium in Battle Creek.

"It's as American as baseball and apple pie," Joel Fulton, co-owner of Freedom Firearms, said of bearing firearms. "And firearms are part of the fabric of our society."

. . .

MI_XD

Handgun owners have been invited to bring their side arms – openly carried and holstered with a concealed weapons permit – to the Battle Creek Bombers minor league baseball game on Friday evening.

. . .

SO, all the Legal owners of handguns who can Open Carry without a CPL are not allowed? Would that be due to the entertainment/sports facility status of the venue? Or maybe the alcohol on premises portion? They HAVE given permission, but only to a portion of the Law Abiding Citizens!

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
SO, all the Legal owners of handguns who can Open Carry without a CPL are not allowed? Would that be due to the entertainment/sports facility status of the venue? Or maybe the alcohol on premises portion? They HAVE given permission, but only to a portion of the Law Abiding Citizens!

That was my first thought, too, but I'm ignorant of Michigan laws on the subject.

fozzy71 said:
Auto Play Video warning - (link)

First, thanks for the warning, I hate sites that do that, so being prepared for it was nice.

FUQ:
There were some concerns that warranted increased security and police presence at the game. Anyone who had a ticket to Friday's game who didn't feel comfortable attending could exchange their tickets for another night.

Seriously? What concerns? I call BS.

And does that mean it was a one-time or special thing, and that we would not be allowed any other night? Or just not especially advertised to be welcome?

HPmatt

Very neat idea - I will suggest this to the Dallas team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

griffin

All open carriers, with or without CPL, were allowed to carry. Non-CPL owners were given permission because they serve alcohol. This was discussed much beforehand over at MOC.

griffin

And does that mean it was a one-time or special thing, and that we would not be allowed any other night? Or just not especially advertised to be welcome?

This event was a one-time special thing. OCers are always welcome, but non-CPL holders were given special permission this time because of alcohol. I don't know that the permission is universal and forever.

The attendance was spectacular, much higher than normal, and I believe they are looking at making it an annual event. I think I read that somewhere.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for the update and details. Even if they don't advertise it, why not grant the legally-required permission in perpetuity? It would be nice not to be treated as "special."

I wish my local ball club would do this, but even if the minor league team (Las Vegas 51s) wanted to, they play at a city facility that legally bans concealed carry and illegally bans open carry, with impunity.

MI_XD

All open carriers, with or without CPL, were allowed to carry. Non-CPL owners were given permission because they serve alcohol. This was discussed much beforehand over at MOC.

Griffin,
I am on the MOC forum every day, and I did not see anything about Non CPL Open Carry being discussed.

And I am a paid up member, also.

Last edited:

griffin

Griffin,
I am on the MOC forum every day, and I did not see anything about Non CPL Open Carry being discussed.

There was much discussion about it on the MOC facebook group page. In general I am not a fan of facebook, but unfortunately most people are so that is where a lot of discussion goes on.

Also, it was not announced until after the June 2016 newsletter was published at the beginning of the month else I would have included the event and info there. :(

MOC threw out the first pitch.

Last edited:

griffin

[video=youtube;lL7AS62c-4A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL7AS62c-4A[/video]

Last edited:

Taypo

Very neat idea - I will suggest this to the Dallas team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas specifically bars CHL holders from carrying at professional sporting events, unfortunately

davidmcbeth

Banned
Texas specifically bars CHL holders from carrying at professional sporting events, unfortunately

And how can the gov't tell property owners what they can and cannot do on their own private land?

Solution? Ban all gov't employees from their land.

Taypo

And how can the gov't tell property owners what they can and cannot do on their own private land?

Solution? Ban all gov't employees from their land.

Depending on which team the poster is referring to, it was probably funded in part by public money. Which kind of defeats the private property argument.