• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Scott Adams (creator of Dilbert) has some interesting thoughts on gun control

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
http://blog.dilbert.com/post/146307088451/why-gun-control-cant-be-solved-in-the-usa

The "take away" quote that I have seen on some gun blogs that led me to seek out the full article:

"So it seems to me that gun control can’t be solved because Democrats are using guns to kill each other – and want it to stop – whereas Republicans are using guns to defend against Democrats."

Here is that quote with some context, which it deserves. This quote is a short portion of the article shared here as fair use and to hopefully compel others to click through and read the whole thing because it is a good read....

"So it seems to me that gun control can’t be solved because Democrats are using guns to kill each other – and want it to stop – whereas Republicans are using guns to defend against Democrats. Psychologically, those are different risk profiles. And you can’t reconcile those interests, except on the margins. For example, both sides might agree that rocket launchers are a step too far. But Democrats are unlikely to talk Republicans out of gun ownership because it comes off as “Put down your gun so I can shoot you.”

Let’s all take a deep breath and shake off the mental discomfort I just induced in half of my readers. You can quibble with my unsupported assumptions about gun use, but keep in mind that my point is about psychology and about big group averages. If Republicans think they need guns to protect against Democrats, that’s their reality. And if Democrats believe guns make the world more dangerous for themselves, that is their reality. And they can both be right. Your risk profile is different from mine."

Griz

“Put down your gun so I can shoot you.”

I think this is the crux of the matter. But would have to add: "shoot, rob, rape, anything I want to you."

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
It's no different than "women are from venus men are from mars." Personal responsibility versus social responsibility will always exist. But, this country was founded on personal responsibility not the idea that the government is to control your life, cradle to grave. A utopian life for them at your expense.

Maverick9

ABSOLUTELY!!

People who have rage issues who want to impose their will on you are very, very frustrated when you, let's say a little 140lb female makes them back off.

Men are no longer men to a large degree. They are bullies. (obviously I'm speaking generally).

Put down your gun so I can shoot you, aggress against you, bully you. In fact it makes them so mad they could spit nails that being big, entitled, angry they have to slink off.

Believe me those types run home and kick the dog.

Last edited:

jackrockblc

Adams has some interesting viewpoints on the election. For example, he's officially endorsed Clinton as of this month. However, he also mentions the very positive points of Trump, and admits his endorsement of HRC is out of pure personal reasons, not that he believes she's the best option for the Oval Office (read to the end of the 2nd link). I think both are good reads to understand the viewpoints he's going through - and that many others are, too.

B

Bikenut

ABSOLUTELY!!

People who have rage issues who want to impose their will on you are very, very frustrated when you, let's say a little 140lb female makes them back off.

-snip-
Exactly! And that also applies to the elites in government who are infuriated that the lowly commoners can tell them to back off and have the means to make it stick.