Thread: SCOTUS throws out McDonnell conviction

SCOTUS throws out McDonnell conviction

Last edited by swinokur; 06-27-2016 at 11:06 AM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Great news.

IMHO, he has been removed from the pool of future candidates for national office though.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

i think that was the goal from the beginning.

Still some dust to be settled before the fat lady can be seated.

"....leaving open the possibility he will be retried for the corruption crimes."

http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/scot...or-corruption/
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

alas the rumor floating is the ruling could, quote: ...makes it harder to prosecute elected officials accused of bribery. now makes it tougher to go after elected officials due to corruption...unquote.

http://www.wvva.com/story/32315644/t...uling-home-run

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Banned
    Legislators who write laws directed at gov't officials [like official misconduct, FOIA, etc] purposefully leave terms and things vague. This is to protect the gov't officials. Laws like these are just lip service.

Like or hate the guy, the decision was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Great news.

IMHO, he has been removed from the pool of future candidates for national office though.
    Sadly, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Legislators who write laws directed at gov't officials [like official misconduct, FOIA, etc] purposefully leave terms and things vague. This is to protect the gov't officials. Laws like these are just lip service.

Like or hate the guy, the decision was correct.
    Yes the decision was just.

The lesson here should be that vague laws give prosecutors massive wiggle room to abuse their power. Those on the left are excited to use that power in novel (disgusting) ways. Look what a flaming liberal prosecutor tried to do to Governor Perry in Texas. (I am not a big Perry fan, but the loose laws led to clear prosecutorial persecution.)
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Follow up, current status

Maureen McDonnell's case put on hold after Supreme Court ruling

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — A federal appeals court has put former Virginia first lady Maureen McDonnell's case on hold, giving prosecutors and defense attorneys more time to analyze a recent Supreme Court ruling.

The high court overturned former Gov. Bob McDonnell's corruption conviction in June, saying his actions were distasteful but didn't necessarily violate federal bribery laws.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/32694786/...e-court-ruling

Over zealous prosecutors that lose (10) cases should be disbarred.

My .02

Regards
    CCJ
    " I detest hypocrites and their Hypocrisy" I support Liberty for each, for all, and forever".
    Ask yourself, Do you own Yourself?