• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mossberg 500 stock/pistol grip

blahpony

It doesn't really fit into the inexpensive category, but I turned my Mossberg 500 into a bullpup.

pd5gRHAh.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I've always found it interesting that many (most?) gravitate to pump shotguns for home defense. Myself, I prefer semi-auto.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
I have a Blackhawk Knoxx recoil stock w/"Power Pak" on my 500 Cruiser. Quick search finds Walmart online has the stock and "power pak" which is a cheek piece and side saddle for under $95 if bought together.

I like it for a short range tactical shotgun. Mainly got it because my wife didn't like slugs with regular stock, but I like it too. Wouldn't want it on a skeet shooter.

Taypo

I've always found it interesting that many (most?) gravitate to pump shotguns for home defense. Myself, I prefer semi-auto.

I had someone I respect tell me that semi's are the sexy blond that everyone wants to take home from the party and pumps are the homely girl sitting by herself in corner. One of them will do what you want, when you want and the other may or may not, depending on her mood and how much work you've put into it.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

I had someone I respect tell me that semi's are the sexy blond that everyone wants to take home from the party and pumps are the homely girl sitting by herself in corner. One of them will do what you want, when you want and the other may or may not, depending on her mood and how much work you've put into it.

My Pump,,, sits in the corner, by the fridge, for days, weeks, months...
She is ready, willing, and able,,, even Eager to "Put Out" whenever I Ask!!

ps.. I think she is a Stevens,, made for Sears,, only mark I can read is,, xxxxexr..
I really dont know,, thought it had a bucking horse stamp,, mabye said Ranger??
Got it for too much,, with the hammer broke in half,,, welded that back together,, works fine...

Taypo

I have an 870 rebuilt and punched out by Wilson Combat with ATI furniture, how I knew of ATI. It does sit quietly in the corner of the bedroom, ready to bark birdshot then buckshot.

The trapshooting league keeps after me, "Oh, you have a shotgun, come shoot!" They don't understand the difference, in my mind at least, between sport and self-defense, between toy and tool.

I thought about sending my 870 to Wilson or Vangcomp, but I have a hard time justifying the cost for a gun that gets shot a couple times a year. I did put a Magul foreend on it, though. I've got my ammo mixed as well - first two are bird, the rest are PDX1.

I have the same issue with friends - they know I'm a gun guy and automatically get invited to go hunting/skeet/etc. Just not my thing, although I may start playing around with IDPA when the weather cools. At least that one has a bit of crossover to the defensive side.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
One thing to keep in mind is where the safety switch is on the Mossberg. If it's the tang safety, it is unnatural to use with a pistol gripped stock. It appears that the bullpup kits incorporate their own safety, but I've not looked too closely at them.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Can someone help me install this? Anyone??

I have only dealt with 4 different Mossberg stocks but here's what I know - all of them had a long allen head bolt that screws into the back of the receiver. The 3 rifle type stocks came with a quite long allen wrench of proper size to remove/install it. The pistol grip can be accessed with a standard allen wrench.

All I've ever had to do is use that long allen wrench to remove/install the installation bolt. That's all there was to it. I have removed/installed a speedstock similar to your pic except it was a rifle type not a pistol grip. Same thing except I'm pretty sure I had to remove 2 screws to take off the butt pad which gives access to the bolt head (been a while).