• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Control Rally - Louisville - 6/29/16

poetdante

There was a anti-gun, gun control rally outside the Mazzoli Federal Building. Moms Demand Action was there along with the sorry excuse for Americans: Yarmuth and Fischer. I would say a hundred people were there, along with several media outlets. The speakers spoke the usual lies, and I was embarrassed as Yarmuth was one of the orchestrators of the recent sit-in where elected officials acted like 2 year olds.

I was there with another OCDO member. I had on my bright orange NRA hat and my full-size HK P30L. We had so many mean looks. The police there were awesome. All that I spoke with shared our views and were pro-gun. At the end I had a bunch of cameras in my face, maybe you'll see me on the local news. I tried giving the media folks plenty of good pro-gun sound bites. I expressed my distaste for the methods employed by the leaders there and the misinformation they provide to the people is a disservice to America. I doubt I will have more than one mis-represented sound clip make it on air, but at least I did my best to get the reporters thinking on guns in a different way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

poetdante

Oh and Yarmuth said the rural people being pro gun were not important, that they are a "noisy" 10% and that legislature is wrong to keep cities and counties from having their own gun laws.

Rusty Young Man

WLKY article said:
SNIP...
One NRA member who attended the rally said this problem is about more than guns.

"There's a lot of things that go into every issue and it is wrong to say that one thing is responsible for it. In this case, a gun," Ilya Chernyavskiy said.

Some stricter laws keeping guns out of the wrong hands will help.

"We know that we're in the majority. The majority of Americans support background checks on all gun sales and it's time that our leaders in Washington started listening to their constituents," Connie Coartney said.
Emphasis mine.

Wow. Glad to see this media outlet is unbiased and impartial.:rolleyes:

Great job poetdante. If that was the worst they could skew your words, you represented the RKBA very well.:)

poetdante

Poetdante, thanks for representing us in such a positive way. In what ways were the police "awesome"? You said that almost all of those that you talked to were pro-gun, what were they doing at an anti-gun rally and if so many were pro-gun how come so many "mean" looks? What was the percentage of pro to con? 50-50, 25-75? Details, we need details!
Which media outlets were you talking to, so I can look on their websites?

The police were there acting as security, because the men Yarmuth and Fischer brought on their own was not enough, I guess? The two of us spoke with most, if not all the uniformed police there. It was all casual conversation, lots of agreement on how gun free zones suck, how the anti-gunners were not mentioning most of the crime happening in the bad parts of town riddled with drugs, gangs, etc, or how violent crime is on the decrease with more guns. A few were vets, we talked guns, gear, and how the leadership is an embarrassment. I was glad to have them there.

The mean looks were from the people who were anti-gun. My firearm and my friend's bad-ass pro-gun t-shirt got us glares, stares, and lots of people taking pictures of us. I'd say there was only the two of us being pro-gun, the dozen or so police, and the rest of the crowd being anti-gun. I took a video on my go-pro of the initial talk, but eventually felt my presence would be better served walking among the people. It wasn't just Moms Demand Action. Black Lives Matter was there, Hillary supporters were there (same thing as Moms Demand Action since they endorse her), various other small groups dealing with "urban problems" were there.

poetdante

Emphasis mine.

Wow. Glad to see this media outlet is unbiased and impartial.:rolleyes:

Great job poetdante. If that was the worst they could skew your words, you represented the RKBA very well.:)

Oh the media was hilarious. One person started to ask me questions and suddenly 6 cameras are being set up 2 feet from me. I got asked a dozen questions, from "are you an NRA member" to "mass shootings". I emphasized that what the sim-guided group here wants, and what I want: less gun violence, is the same. Our means, and openness about what else that entails is where we differ. I wanted more responsibly trained citizens, more affordable training to maximize armed citizens abilities to defend themselves and society, more affordable storage options, etc. I told them we do not have a gun violence problem, that crime has decreased with a direct increase in firearm sales and conceal carry permit issuances. That gun free zones do not work, no law will help and the laws we do have already overstep some boundaries. I called out the group and the politicians there directly as being irresponsible in their misdirection of the people in blaming an inanimate object and not directing their efforts on the underlying causes of crime as a whole, and their lack in keeping up their oaths of office in defending citizens' rights. Shame none of that made it on the air.

After the questions were done, one guy asked "so what kind of gun is that? 9mm?" And there were the cameras again, focusing on the gun. Of course I had to do some product placement for one of my favorite brands: "H&K P30L 9mm. It is a high-end firearm used by police and military around the world, is a gorgeous gun, wish you could see all of it, and is very comfortable to hold". I also added that I'm a grad student at UofL, and that minus the firearm, the two mags, and the NRA hat, I go to school pretty much as they saw me, that the gun does not make me any less a citizen or a responsible member of society.

Animalou812

Oh the media was hilarious. One person started to ask me questions and suddenly 6 cameras are being set up 2 feet from me. I got asked a dozen questions, from "are you an NRA member" to "mass shootings". I emphasized that what the sim-guided group here wants, and what I want: less gun violence, is the same. Our means, and openness about what else that entails is where we differ. I wanted more responsibly trained citizens, more affordable training to maximize armed citizens abilities to defend themselves and society, more affordable storage options, etc. I told them we do not have a gun violence problem, that crime has decreased with a direct increase in firearm sales and conceal carry permit issuances. That gun free zones do not work, no law will help and the laws we do have already overstep some boundaries. I called out the group and the politicians there directly as being irresponsible in their misdirection of the people in blaming an inanimate object and not directing their efforts on the underlying causes of crime as a whole, and their lack in keeping up their oaths of office in defending citizens' rights. Shame none of that made it on the air.

After the questions were done, one guy asked "so what kind of gun is that? 9mm?" And there were the cameras again, focusing on the gun. Of course I had to do some product placement for one of my favorite brands: "H&K P30L 9mm. It is a high-end firearm used by police and military around the world, is a gorgeous gun, wish you could see all of it, and is very comfortable to hold". I also added that I'm a grad student at UofL, and that minus the firearm, the two mags, and the NRA hat, I go to school pretty much as they saw me, that the gun does not make me any less a citizen or a responsible member of society.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate

The article is a fraud.
Some stricter laws keeping guns out of the wrong hands will help.

"We know that we're in the majority. The majority of Americans support background checks on all gun sales and it's time that our leaders in Washington started listening to their constituents," Connie Coartney said.
The article fails to state who Connie Coartney is. The article just quotes her. Connie Coartney is from Mad Mommies. http://momsdemandaction.org/in-the-news/dozens-in-kentuckiana-join-national-fight-for-gun-laws/
....majority of Americans support background checks....
What valid survey makes such claim. And if that is true do the people participating in the survey actually understand the true facts behind the question.

poetdante

The article is a fraud.

The article fails to state who Connie Coartney is. The article just quotes her. Connie Coartney is from Mad Mommies. http://momsdemandaction.org/in-the-news/dozens-in-kentuckiana-join-national-fight-for-gun-laws/
What valid survey makes such claim. And if that is true do the people participating in the survey actually understand the true facts behind the question.

Oh it gets worse. Yarmuth said that 90+% (something like 98% I think he said) of Americans and over 70% of NRA members are for universal background checks. They threw out numbers left and right, the same untrue numbers the Moms Demand Action group screetch at all their meetings.

poetdante

Wow! The presence of you and your weapons caused a panic, didn't it. You scared those people to death. You should be ashamed.

Actually, someone DID try that with me. They said something along the lines of "I see you walking back and forth through the crowd, you trying to intimidate them with your gun?". I simply said that there were several groups of police around who supported my friend and I being there, and we moved from one group to another in conversation. I also like getting the feel of a crowd, see what the vibe is, etc. What I didn't tell him was that I also enjoy all the mean looks I get, the peoples' conniptions amuse me.

A lot of people were taking my picture, and my friend's. I have yet to see them surface.

Ahareht

I was the other member there with Dante. I was proudly wearing my "FCK YOUR GUN FREE ZONE" shirt and it was nothing but smiles and claps on the back from the mommies, just kidding.

solus

A lot of people were taking my picture, and my friend's. I have yet to see them surface

the nice LE's nor homeland normally do not release the the photos they take for their 'archives' of trouble makers...:uhoh:

ipse

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

Oh it gets worse. Yarmuth said that 90+% (something like 98% I think he said) of Americans and over 70% of NRA members are for universal background checks. They threw out numbers left and right, the same untrue numbers the Moms Demand Action group screetch at all their meetings.

So they were trying to pass off "damned lies" as "statistics"?:p Well, at least the antis are consistent.:lol:

the nice LE's nor homeland normally do not release the the photos they take for their 'archives' of trouble makers...:uhoh:

ipse

No, but the MAD mommies love putting up photos of our sidearms and posteriors. Add to their admiration walls the posteriors of poetdante and Ahareht. :lol:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
"A lot of the violence that is drug and gang related, most firearm deaths are due to suicides ... the percentage of law abiding citizens using guns is negligibly small, and in general you'll find that gun owners, as a whole, are a group in the population that hold themselves to higher standards," he (Ilya Chernyavskiy) said.
It goes without saying, we're first class.

poetdante

Yah gotta love quotations. I included that firearms-related suicides account for only half, if that of suicides. I followed up after the last bit with numbers: 400 million guns, 100 million gun owners, yet 8,000 homicides with guns and even then 80% of those are drug related with stolen guns. So you are looking at punishing 100 million for the actions of about 1000 people (20% of the 8000 annual homicides) in a time when more gun ownership and carry permits is seen with record level lows in violent crime

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yah gotta love quotations. I included that firearms-related suicides account for only half, if that of suicides. I followed up after the last bit with numbers: 400 million guns, 100 million gun owners, yet 8,000 homicides with guns and even then 80% of those are drug related with stolen guns. So you are looking at punishing 100 million for the actions of about 1000 people (20% of the 8000 annual homicides) in a time when more gun ownership and carry permits is seen with record level lows in violent crime

Factoid:
20% of 8,000 = 1,600, still doesn't change anything significently.

poetdante

I was too lazy to say 1600, 1000 was more of a round number. And maybe it's possible that some of those "20%" wasn't drug/gang related but still committed by people who legally were not able to possess a gun?