Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Open Carrying

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Hurricane, Utah
    Posts
    25

    Open Carrying

    Sooo, I want to start OC'ing more, but why the heck does it feel SO uncomfortable? I grew up in communist california where you're practically a criminal for having a gun (lol joke-ish) but joined the mil and became a MP. I thought I would feel comfortable OC'ing as a civi since when I was in, I of course OC'd with a Beretta M9 as well as a little more firepower every day I worked; but I don't. It just feels....strange. Maybe I was comfortable because I was a MP and was working. Maybe because I felt comfortable in that setting. I don't really know honestly. Those of you who were uncomfortable OC'ing in the beginning, how long did it take you to get used to it? Did you do anything to help relieve yourself from the uncomfortable feeling other than telling yourself, "Suck it up nancy, just do it!"? Any tips?

    http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/149689 ... AuWH8P8HAQ

    ^This is the type of retention holster that I use for my Glock 19 (going to get a new holster for my newish firearm the Thunder 40 Pro to see how it feels. Just a lot heavier than my Glock lol)

    Reason I want to start OC'ing is even though I don't feel super comfortable right now, and even though BOTH ways of carrying are effective in their own ways, I feel like if it hits the fan, I might mess up and not be able to grab my shirt, lift it up and bring it out in time, or maybe I grab for my gun and get my shirt caught or something. I'm going to continue CC'ing, but I want to start OC'ing as well.

  2. #2
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    Well,,,

    Quote Originally Posted by ericcris10sen View Post
    Sooo, I want to start OC'ing more, but why the heck does it feel SO uncomfortable? I grew up in communist california where you're practically a criminal for having a gun (lol joke-ish) but joined the mil and became a MP. I thought I would feel comfortable OC'ing as a civi since when I was in, I of course OC'd with a Beretta M9 as well as a little more firepower every day I worked; but I don't. It just feels....strange. Maybe I was comfortable because I was a MP and was working. Maybe because I felt comfortable in that setting. I don't really know honestly. Those of you who were uncomfortable OC'ing in the beginning, how long did it take you to get used to it? Did you do anything to help relieve yourself from the uncomfortable feeling other than telling yourself, "Suck it up nancy, just do it!"? Any tips?

    http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/149689 ... AuWH8P8HAQ

    ^This is the type of retention holster that I use for my Glock 19 (going to get a new holster for my newish firearm the Thunder 40 Pro to see how it feels. Just a lot heavier than my Glock lol)

    Reason I want to start OC'ing is even though I don't feel super comfortable right now, and even though BOTH ways of carrying are effective in their own ways, I feel like if it hits the fan, I might mess up and not be able to grab my shirt, lift it up and bring it out in time, or maybe I grab for my gun and get my shirt caught or something. I'm going to continue CC'ing, but I want to start OC'ing as well.
    You answer all of your own questions,, the main 1 being,,,
    Suck it up Nancy,, just do it!
    Youre in Fjcking UTAH!!! It is Free Country!!!
    You Dont need to be a Military MP,,, to carry a gun,,
    It is a natural thing for folks in UTAH to do..
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  3. #3
    Regular Member ron73440's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Suffolk VA
    Posts
    477
    The more you do it, the more comfortable you will be.

    First time I did, it really felt like everyone was looking at me.

    3 years later, I feel more uncomfortable when I can't.

    Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    What I told my wife when she said my steel Baby Eagle .45 was heavy, "Heavy is good, heavy is reliable, if it doesn't work you could always hit him with it."-Boris the Blade

    MOLON LABE

  4. #4
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,875
    your final comment quote: I'm going to continue CC'ing...unquote is your mental security blanket which is holding you back from fulling immersing yourself into the daily routine of OC'g.

    be an adult, tuck your shirt into your pants, look spiffy, and OC...enjoy your daily activities.

    go find a wally world or sam's to go carry in and stay out of Costco...

    ipse
    Last edited by solus; 07-02-2016 at 11:31 AM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Hurricane, Utah
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    You answer all of your own questions,, the main 1 being,,,
    Suck it up Nancy,, just do it!
    Youre in Fjcking UTAH!!! It is Free Country!!!
    You Dont need to be a Military MP,,, to carry a gun,,
    It is a natural thing for folks in UTAH to do..
    Lol I've been here for about 2 1/2 years and have only seen one or two at most, open carrying. One being very recently at Walmart.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Hurricane, Utah
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    your final comment quote: I'm going to continue CC'ing...unquote is your mental security blanket which is holding you back from fulling immersing yourself into the daily routine of OC'g.

    be an adult, tuck your shirt into your pants, look spiffy, and OC...enjoy your daily activities.

    go find a wally world or sam's to go carry in and stay out of Costco...

    ipse
    So far I've carried in a grocery store. It was fine but still felt uncomfortable as hell. I'm always nervous about an employee or owner making a scene. I have friends who have guns and enjoy shooting them, but they fricken don't carry them, concealed or openly because "they don't feel the need to". So I'm always on my own with this. I'd just feel a lot more comfortable if I had someone with me who carried lol

  7. #7
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by ericcris10sen View Post
    So far I've carried in a grocery store. It was fine but still felt uncomfortable as hell. I'm always nervous about an employee or owner making a scene. I have friends who have guns and enjoy shooting them, but they fricken don't carry them, concealed or openly because "they don't feel the need to". So I'm always on my own with this. I'd just feel a lot more comfortable if I had someone with me who carried lol
    Your uncomfortable feelings are perfectly understandable, but it will get more comfortable over time.

    Just take things one day at at time!

  8. #8
    Lone Star Veteran DrMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,553
    Quote Originally Posted by ericcris10sen View Post
    Did you do anything to help relieve yourself from the uncomfortable feeling...?
    If you post your area/region/city in Utah, there may be others from the forum nearby. Open Carry dinner meets have traditionally been a great way for new-to-OC folks to get more comfortable. The fellowship helps, as do the stories of positive experiences.

    Of course, just doing it more does help too.

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Suck it up, Nancy; just do it!
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  10. #10
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    I am from Utah and I've been OC'ing about 95-98% of the time for the last several years---- thinking about 8 or so based one join date to this forum.
    What part of Utah are you in? Want a carry buddy?
    Open carry becomes more comfortable the more you engage in it.
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 07-02-2016 at 11:39 PM.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    I've OC'd in Utah on many occasions, as I travel up to St. George often, and occasionally further. The only people who've looked at me funny were some blue hairs that had just gotten out of a car at the hardware store parking lot. The car had CA plates.

    The only other interesting issue was that the teenagers running the counter at Sportsman's Warehouse told me that all open carry required an unloaded chamber, even when you had a permit. They stuck to their story after hearing my credentials as a BCI-certified instructor. My polite letter to management about giving legal advice at the gun counter went unanswered.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Hurricane, Utah
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMark View Post
    If you post your area/region/city in Utah, there may be others from the forum nearby. Open Carry dinner meets have traditionally been a great way for new-to-OC folks to get more comfortable. The fellowship helps, as do the stories of positive experiences.

    Of course, just doing it more does help too.
    Lol meets might be fun. Also updated my info

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Hurricane, Utah
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    I am from Utah and I've been OC'ing about 95-98% of the time for the last several years---- thinking about 8 or so based one join date to this forum.
    What part of Utah are you in? Want a carry buddy?
    Open carry becomes more comfortable the more you engage in it.
    Hey, I live in Hurricane, UT in Washington County. Yea I wouldn't mind a carry buddy lol wish my fricken friends over here did it lol

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by ericcris10sen View Post
    Hey, I live in Hurricane, UT in Washington County. Yea I wouldn't mind a carry buddy lol wish my fricken friends over here did it lol
    They will be jealous when they see how comfortably you carry a full-size pistol because you aren't trying to stuff it down your pants.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  15. #15
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by ericcris10sen View Post
    Hey, I live in Hurricane, UT in Washington County. Yea I wouldn't mind a carry buddy lol wish my fricken friends over here did it lol
    We do have a forum member who does live in the south end of Utah who is active on this forum. I suspect Rusty will around soon.

    Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Hurricane, Utah
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    They will be jealous when they see how comfortably you carry a full-size pistol because you aren't trying to stuff it down your pants.
    LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    We do have a forum member who does live in the south end of Utah who is active on this forum. I suspect Rusty will around soon.

    Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
    Well we'll see

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Lynchburg
    Posts
    590
    If you want comfort go with a good LEATHER owb pancake type holster. It will be less stiff and much more comfortable. And it will look much better and more professional. More expensive also but well worth it. Just google leather owb holster and you will find what you need easy.

    Nemo

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by ron73440 View Post
    The more you do it, the more comfortable you will be.

    First time I did, it really felt like everyone was looking at me.

    3 years later, I feel more uncomfortable when I can't.
    +1

    Just do it. It will be second nature before you know it and you'll be uncomfortable when you have to cover it up.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Jefferson County, CO
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by ericcris10sen View Post
    Sooo, I want to start OC'ing more, but why the heck does it feel SO uncomfortable?
    The short answer to your question is that you were surrounded by all that crap in California. Even though you're one of the few who managed to continue to see the truth of firearms and their roles in our lives, that doesn't mean you weren't affected by the propaganda out there.

    My advice is to open carry with a quality retention holster, and it will get easier. But just have a plan to deal with hecklers, protesters, and police. Get a good audio (or video, if you can) recorder and make it accessible to use. So far, I've never had to use mine, and I've had people even shake my hand for open carrying here in Colorado.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Larimer County, CO
    Posts
    212
    i've had some "suck it up Nancy" moments myself. I've had to tell myself a few times that 98% of the people don't even notice and of the 2% that do, 98% of them either don't care or are glad to see it. As for the .02% that may have an issue, well that's their problem not mine.

    Remember that we don't have neon signs that say "GUN HERE" and there are ways to dress, maneuver yourself and position your firearm that present a lower profile, if one is so inclined.

  21. #21
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    4,795
    Quote Originally Posted by ericcris10sen View Post
    Reason I want to start OC'ing is even though I don't feel super comfortable right now, and even though BOTH ways of carrying are effective in their own ways, I feel like if it hits the fan, I might mess up and not be able to grab my shirt, lift it up and bring it out in time, or maybe I grab for my gun and get my shirt caught or something. I'm going to continue CC'ing, but I want to start OC'ing as well.
    Welcome to Utah. I grew up in St. George back when it was small and Hurricane was really tiny. We also had discriminatory permits.

    We now have fully 10% of our adult population who have Utah permits to carry. Double that many Utah permits are held by non-residents.

    I have come to the conclusion that 95%+ of all people never see my OC'd firearm despite it being a full-sized 1911. Those who do see it either don't react, or react positively. I'm convinced most people just don't notice much of anything (as evidenced by their driving habits), don't spend much time looking at others' belt line, and just don't have "gun" on their mind when they catch a peripheral glimpse of something on your waste. I figure "cell phone" is what most people "see" when they catch a quick glimpse of our OC'd guns.

    Full disclosure, I'm a middle-aged, plump, balding, usually conservatively-dressed, white guy. I usually don't draw much attention of myself; and all my experience is that an OC'd firearm doesn't materially change that.

    Honestly, I get orders of magnitude more attention when I wear my kilt and other Scottish attire than I do OCing my gun.

    The only locations where we have had any consistent reports of authorities trying to hassle those OCing are on campus at colleges or universities: UoU and UVU in particular. We are legal to OC or CC in those locations with a permit. Still waging the cultural battle as it were.

    Assuming you have a Utah carry permit (required to carry fully loaded whether OC or CC), you are legal to OC virtually anywhere you go on a regular basis.

    Court rooms are off limits under penalty of contempt. Secure mental hospitals, airport secure areas, jails, and prisons, are off limits under State statute. Private residences and churches that give notice in some way (including the BCI webpage for churches) are off limits (all LDS/Mormon Churches have given notice via the web page and are off limits). And, of course, federal buildings.

    I encourage you to sign up for free (and low volume) political alerts from GOUtah! (Gun Owners of Utah) by visiting http://goutahorg.org or by PMing me your email.

    You might also enjoy visiting http://utahconcealedcarry.com for Utah specific discussions. Despite the name, OC is not at all off limits on that board.

    Keep OCing. Everyday you do so without your worst fears of a scene being realized will add to your comfort and confidence. Give a little thought to a polite, but pithy answer as to why you are carrying a gun, or whether you are a cop. Most such inquiries in Utah are sincere and polite, just be prepared to respond in kind. If you have the extremely rare and bad fortune to run into a very rude anti, simply disengage and walk away. A firm, but polite assertion of your rights might be good. But mostly just disengage and deny the nut case who is so terrified of a man with a gun that he has to confront said man rudely his chance to make you a part of his scene.

    Again, welcome.

    Charles Hardy
    Public Policy Director
    GOUtah!
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

    "With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

    "Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •