• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

carry in federal facility (besides court) legal if....

hammer6

so i was reading 18 US Code 930 and i'm confused. as i read it, if: someone possesses a carry permit, or if their state doesn't require a permit to legally carry and they qualify under that state's laws, then they are legally allowed to carry in a federal facility (except court facility).

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/930

thoughts?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"(3) The term “Federal court facility” means the courtroom, judges’ chambers, witness rooms, jury deliberation rooms, attorney conference rooms, prisoner holding cells, offices of the court clerks, the United States attorney, and the United States marshal, probation and parole offices, and adjoining corridors of any court of the United States."

hammer6

"(3) The term “Federal court facility” means the courtroom, judges’ chambers, witness rooms, jury deliberation rooms, attorney conference rooms, prisoner holding cells, offices of the court clerks, the United States attorney, and the United States marshal, probation and parole offices, and adjoining corridors of any court of the United States."

what am i missing?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot
what am i missing?
Missing that your/our ability to legally carry there has been restricted.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

i said a federal facility other than a federal court.

judges’ chambers,

witness rooms,

jury deliberation rooms,

attorney conference rooms,

prisoner holding cells,

offices of the court clerks, the United States attorney,

and the United States marshal, probation and parole offices

etc, etc.

hammer6

judges’ chambers,

witness rooms,

jury deliberation rooms,

attorney conference rooms,

prisoner holding cells,

offices of the court clerks, the United States attorney,

and the United States marshal, probation and parole offices

etc, etc.

are you deliberately missing my point? i concur that all these places are included in my phrasing "federal court". but i'm talking about all other federal facilities, other than the federal court and the ones you listed by name.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
so i was reading 18 US Code 930 and i'm confused. as i read it, if: someone possesses a carry permit, or if their state doesn't require a permit to legally carry and they qualify under that state's laws, then they are legally allowed to carry in a federal facility (except court facility).

thoughts?
Please point to the section (other than for hunting purposes) that even implies that citizens are permitted to carry in a federal facility.

I have carried, as a citizen, in a federal facility, but by invitation only.

hammer6

Please point to the section (other than for hunting purposes) that even implies that citizens are permitted to carry in a federal facility.

I have carried, as a citizen, in a federal facility, but by invitation only.

(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to—
(1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;
(2) the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such possession is authorized by law; or
(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

if a method of carry is legal in your state, and you qualify for it, is that not considered a "lawful purpose", and eligible under the exemption of this federal law?

i'll add - (1) and (2) are eligible exemptions to carry in federal court facilities.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...if a method of carry is legal in your state, and you qualify for it, is that not considered a "lawful purpose", and eligible under the exemption of this federal law?...

The federal facility is outside the jurisdiction of the state laws. You'd have to meet the "lawful purposes" as recognized by federal laws.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to—
(1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;
(2) the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such possession is authorized by law; or
(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

if a method of carry is legal in your state, and you qualify for it, is that not considered a "lawful purpose", and eligible under the exemption of this federal law?

i'll add - (1) and (2) are eligible exemptions to carry in federal court facilities.
You may have a point. See United States v. Bass, 404 US 336 - Supreme Court 1971. https://scholar.google.com/scholar_...125&q=930+"lawful+purposes"&hl=en&as_sdt=3,36

hammer6

The federal facility is outside the jurisdiction of the state laws. You'd have to meet the "lawful purposes" as recognized by federal laws.

the way i read it is that, if it's not on the list of "unlawful purposes", it is therefore legal, based on the text of the supreme law, the 2nd amendment.

just like federal law does not require a background check on the sale of a gun if the purchaser has a valid weapons license issued by that state.

it's the florida state law that requires a background check even on those with CWFLs. that leads us into the confusing legalese concerning why the federal government can require a background check to be performed when the seller is a licensed seller, but not when they are a private person.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Might point out that offices/facilities where NPS employees regularly work are similarly restricted.

See if you can find others.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
the way i read it is that, if it's not on the list of "unlawful purposes", it is therefore legal, based on the text of the supreme law, the 2nd amendment...

I don't dispute any of that. I'm just saying state laws have nothing to do with it.

hammer6

I don't dispute any of that. I'm just saying state laws have nothing to do with it.

what i mean by state laws is that if you are not in violation of any state statute that makes you a "prohibited person" thus disqualifying you from the "lawful use" exemption.

lockman

State Researcher
According to attorneys representing the BATFE, self defense is not a lawful purpose. They further cited convictions under 18 USC 930 that are currently under appeal.

hammer6

According to attorneys representing the BATFE, self defense is not a lawful purpose. They further cited convictions under 18 USC 930 that are currently under appeal.

correct me if i'm wrong but, wasn't there a recent SCOTUS ruling that said that the 2nd amendment is for the purpose of protection of self?

added-
but beyond that, if there's no "restriction" or "law" about something, it is defacto legal. so unless i can be pointed to the section that says "self defense is not a lawful purpose", then self defense in fact is a lawful purpose.

Last edited:

hammer6

Sounds good to me! Go for it! Carry into a federal building and make your case. Don't let them push you around. I wish you very good luck. Let us know how it works out for you. When do you expect to be doing this? I want to make sure I don't miss your post on the experience. Make sure you get video and audio. You will be a hero. We may have a parade with a band for you. Good luck.

thanks for the input.