Thread: Did the CNMI Governor sign the &1,000 excise tax per handgun into law?

Did the CNMI Governor sign the &1,000 excise tax per handgun into law?

"Lawmakers approve $1,000 tax on handguns in lieu of total ban."

Link: http://www.guns.com/2016/04/07/lawma...-of-total-ban/
    Last edited by Thundar; 07-05-2016 at 01:13 PM.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    The criminals are going to have field day......

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    The criminals are going to have field day......
    Some would say that the criminals are in office.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    For lab abiding only. That's the law. Pay the fee until its changed, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Yes I agree the governor is a criminal.

He signed the $1,000 tax into law.

The CNMI governor is a thirty-something republican. Go figure.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    Yes I agree the governor is a criminal.

He signed the $1,000 tax into law.

The CNMI governor is a thirty-something republican. Go figure.
    RINO !
    http://gov.mp/2016/04/11/handgun-law...-now-in-place/

"Welcome to the website of the Executive Branch of the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. This site provides general information regarding the Office of the Governor and the Executive Directory listing for the various departments, divisions and organizations within the Executive Branch."
    http://gov.mp/
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Court strikes down sweeping gun control measures in U.S. territory.

We need more judges like this:

Reacting to the government’s ban on public carry, Mangolia was frank. “The Court finds that the Second Amendment secures a right to bear arms for self-defense in public. Because SAFE completely destroys that right, it is unconstitutional regardless of the level of scrutiny applied, and the Court must strike it down,” she said.

Next, the court struck down arbitrary rules on what constitutes an “assault weapon.” She clarified that rifle attachments such as pistol grips that protrude beneath the action, thumbhole stocks, folding or telescoping stocks, flare launchers, flash suppressors and forward pistol grips, make guns safer.

“To the extent that the Commonwealth worries about stray bullets striking innocent bystanders, features that make guns more accurate — as it appears most of the grips and the flash suppressor may do — actually serve public safety by making such stray shots less likely,” Manglona said.

Outstanding!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pkbites View Post

We need more judges like this:

Reacting to the government’s ban on public carry, Mangolia was frank. “The Court finds that the Second Amendment secures a right to bear arms for self-defense in public. Because SAFE completely destroys that right, it is unconstitutional regardless of the level of scrutiny applied, and the Court must strike it down,” she said.

Next, the court struck down arbitrary rules on what constitutes an “assault weapon.” She clarified that rifle attachments such as pistol grips that protrude beneath the action, thumbhole stocks, folding or telescoping stocks, flare launchers, flash suppressors and forward pistol grips, make guns safer.

“To the extent that the Commonwealth worries about stray bullets striking innocent bystanders, features that make guns more accurate — as it appears most of the grips and the flash suppressor may do — actually serve public safety by making such stray shots less likely,” Manglona said.

Outstanding!!!!!!!!
    The judge would be an interesting candidate for the U.S. Supreme Court.

[i]Reacting to the government’s ban on public carry, Mangolia was frank.
    First somebody must get Ramona Manglona's name correct. Particularly in the middle of a quote-box.

I note also, "Judge Manglona is married to John A. Manglona, an associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the Northern Mariana Islands."
    Last edited by Nightmare; 10-03-2016 at 06:38 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    First somebody must get Ramona Manglona's name correct. Particularly in the middle of a quote-box.
    I cut and paste from the article, so that somebody would be whoever wrote it. If you read the entire article it appears it was a typo on their end.
    Last edited by pkbites; 10-04-2016 at 12:20 AM.

I cut and paste from the article, so that somebody would be whoever wrote it. If you read the entire article it appears it was a typo on their end.
    Only the guilty flees when no one pursues.

When I notice an error in a quote that I am using, I [ ] sic or correction. You can too, and still go home safely after your shift as a paid public servant.

Centurion
    Only the guilty flees when no one pursues.

When I notice an error in a quote that I am using, I [ ] sic or correction. You can too, and still go home safely after your shift as a paid public servant.
    So he is supposed to know the proper spelling of every name presented in quoted material? Seems to be like an "unrealistic expectation" to me!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    So he is supposed to know the proper spelling of every name presented in quoted material? Seems to be like an "unrealistic expectation" to me!
    That the name was spelled inconsistently in the quoted material might have been a clue.

My suspicion is that Cut&Paste kiddies don't read the material as they would were they to have to transcribe it.

I am pleased to add malcontent (mècontent) to my assigned epithets, deplorable and despicable. Only the ignorant willfully blind are contented.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    I have read hundreds, maybe thousands, of cases and almost everyone of those cases contain misquotes, misspellings and improper punctuation. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. And people who live in stone houses shouldn't throw glass.

Through my career we were so sensitive to the possible effect of errors, be they typographical or technical, that we were not allowed to re-write/transcribe NavSea approved words, but literally required to cut (as in xerox the page and cut out the image of the words) and paste them into the test procedure. Then the review and approval procedure was still onerous and burdensome.

At each potential incident someone was assigned to be the goat (maybe scape-) required to write the incident report which could take a year of review and rewrite for approval for submission to NavSea.

Everything matters a bit, nothing matters much at all.

State Researcher
    Through my career we were so sensitive to the possible effect of errors, ...
    The first rule of writing is know the audience and write accordingly. There is a huge difference between military or professional test procedures or legal filings, and an on-line discussion forum.

Certainly, some minimum level of proper English usage makes it much easier to convey one's intended message. The lone member who takes pleasure in utterly failing to meet any such minimum standard enjoys being the solitary item on my iggy list.

But with good reason does the term "....Nazi" get applied to those in the on-line world who take some pleasure in pointing out insignificant spelling or grammar errors of others. Indeed, to point out such an insignificant error--especially one clearly copied from another source and pasted into the post--and to then continue harping on it for multiple posts is nigh unto hijacking a thread. It certainly adds nothing of value to the discussion. Anyone who is so anxious to prove his own superiority as to harp on such a minimal error probably ought to give some serious thought to his motivation.

I'll avoid going on lest the post get moderated as a personal insult. But as someone wrote on this forum recently I'll repeat generally. "Don't be a jerk." If that isn't a rule, it should be.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Is this ^^^^^ irony, or what?

State Researcher
    Is this ^^^^^ irony, or what?
    I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Simple verbosity, or being the wrong side of master word salad is a very different matter than being an uncivil grouch who picks immaterial nits just to prove how smart he is. 'Tis no wonder word salad and himself solitude so dislike each other. They are too much alike.

Go back to ignoring me. You'll be happier.

Charles
    Last edited by utbagpiper; 10-05-2016 at 10:12 PM.
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Irony has a long and distinguished history as a rhetorical device. I like the meaning closest to its Ancient Greek root in εἰρωνεία (eirōneía), meaning "ignorance feigned" as to make a point. I am sure that the ignorance is only feigned. (See, irony!)

Personality clashes have no place in a discussion of the OP and eventual reversal of most of the key points.

Locking the thread to protect its integrity.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 10-06-2016 at 09:47 AM. Reason: added