Thread: Gun-banners ignore the fact that booze is more deadly than bullets

Gun-banners ignore the fact that booze is more deadly than bullets

While most of those advocating for increased gun regulations are sincere in their desire to alleviate violence, calls to limit long-standing Second Amendment rights courts have consistently upheld are misguided and wildly inconsistent. If legislators truly want to pass laws that will save the most number of lives, they should instead start with enacting strict limits or bans on the sale and consumption of alcohol, a legal product far more dangerous to Americans than “assault” rifles, handguns or virtually any other weapon.

According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, about 88,000 people die from alcohol-related causes each year, making alcohol the fourth-leading preventable cause of death in America. By comparison, guns are far less dangerous. The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence reports less than 33,000 people die each year from gun violence, and of those, nearly 20,000 are suicides. That means alcohol is more than twice as deadly as guns in the United States and 650 percent more deadly if suicides are excluded from the comparison.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-than-alcohol/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Being of advanced age also is a major cause of death. Maybe just have people 60 yrs old walk into disintegrators to prevent this.

Not related to our RKBA.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Being of advanced age also is a major cause of death. Maybe just have people 60 yrs old walk into disintegrators to prevent this.

Not related to our RKBA.
    would you like crispy soylent

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Gun banners ignore most facts. That's the only way to be a banner without your head exploding.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    Gun banners ignore most facts. That's the only way to be a banner without your head exploding.
    Facts? Who needs facts for any political agenda?

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

I was sad today when I realized how little pro gun people fight for their rights. It saddens me more and more because I realize just how little people who want to ban guns really care about the issue. The number of passive pro gunners is an order of magnitute more than active and passive banners. How to mobilize them? Alas, as Orwell said, "the proles will never revolt." Too poor, too overworked, too ignorant and foolish.

I've never personally known any banner that actively factored their belief into a vote or belonged to an anti gun organization. They would vote for Bernie, or Hillary, or Obama, or Bill even if they were pro gun.
    Last edited by 77zach; 07-06-2016 at 08:17 PM.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    While most of those advocating for increased gun regulations are sincere in their desire to alleviate violence, calls to limit long-standing Second Amendment rights courts have consistently upheld are misguided and wildly inconsistent. If legislators truly want to pass laws that will save the most number of lives, they should instead start with enacting strict limits or bans on the sale and consumption of alcohol, a legal product far more dangerous to Americans than “assault” rifles, handguns or virtually any other weapon.

According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, about 88,000 people die from alcohol-related causes each year, making alcohol the fourth-leading preventable cause of death in America. By comparison, guns are far less dangerous. The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence reports less than 33,000 people die each year from gun violence, and of those, nearly 20,000 are suicides. That means alcohol is more than twice as deadly as guns in the United States and 650 percent more deadly if suicides are excluded from the comparison.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-than-alcohol/
    What is your agenda?

Their analysis, published in the BMJ on Tuesday, shows that “medical errors” in hospitals and other health-care facilities are incredibly common and may now be the third-leading cause of death in the United States — claiming 251,000 lives every year, more than respiratory disease, accidents, stroke and Alzheimer’s.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...united-states/
    Stick to guns, do not distract us to walk down the slippery slope that you have manufactured!
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Most alcohol-related deaths are essentially long, slow suicides. As such, excluding suicides from the comparison is leads to heavily biased results.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Most alcohol-related deaths are essentially long, slow suicides. As such, excluding suicides from the comparison is leads to heavily biased results.
    Bwahaha! So is motorcycling, particularly by obese baby-boomers! I have often damned it as "slow suicide," and just another self-indulgent unhealthy lifestyle.

Bwahaha! So is motorcycling, particularly by obese baby-boomers! I have often damned it as "slow suicide," and just another self-indulgent unhealthy lifestyle.
    crotch rocket drivers are basically organ donors...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    crotch rocket drivers are basically organ donors...

ipse
    https://www.bestcashcow.com/articles...-the-rise-5997
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    I'm donating my brain ! Hopefully, upon my untimely death, it will be put into a lizzurd's body.

we speak of the power of the NRA....quote from your cite:

quote:
    There is obviously no quick fix here. The rider lobby has become more powerful as the numbers of people on bikes have risen and as states have bowed to these pressures. unquote

guess those of us who OC need to get a OC lobby so we also can become 'more' powerful

ipse

UAW protecting their market.