Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Five cops dead, shot by snipers in Dallas Black Lives Matter protest.

Five cops dead, shot by snipers in Dallas Black Lives Matter protest.

Eleven police officers were shot ambush-style, including five fatally, in Dallas Thursday night by at least two snipers, amid a protest against the recent police shootings of two black men, Alton Sterling in Louisiana, and Philando Castile in Minnesota, according to the Dallas Police.

One of the suspects had engaged in a standoff for several hours with police, but a Dallas city official announced around 3:30 a.m. that it was over. It was not immediately known what his condition was.

The condition of the six wounded officers remains unknown. One civilian was also injured.
    [ ... ]
    Chaos erupted just before 9 p.m. when at least two snipers in elevated positions opened fire on officers, who were protecting protesters, police said. The family of 37-year-old Shetamia Taylor, the injured civilian, tells ABC affiliate WFAA that while at the rally with her four sons, she jumped on top of them as shots were fired. She was shot and injured instead.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/shots-fired...ry?id=40422456

VIDEOS here
    http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Pro...385784431.html

Obama promises "justice will be done."
    The president continued, "Let me just say, even as yesterday I spoke about our need to be concerned as all Americans about racial discrimination in our criminal justice system. I also said our police have an extremely difficult job and the vast majority do their job in outstanding fashion."

And in a nod to the heated issue of gun control, he said, "We also know when people are armed with powerful weapons, unfortunately it makes attacks like these more deadly and more tragic. And in the days ahead we are going to have to consider those realities as well.”

http://abcnews.go.com/US/president-o...ry?id=40425624

Kennedy's Camelot Era ended in 1963 Dallas. Will the Obamanation die in Dallas too?
    Last edited by Nightmare; 07-08-2016 at 06:28 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Still trying to wrap my head around "more deadly."
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Yes, I noticed his correlation of 'caliber' and tragedy. 'Caliber' here being his "powerful weapons" mistaken meme.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Watched msnbc for 5 mins before work today.
    I heard the reporters say that the snipers out gunned the cops. One bad guy sprayed cops with automatic fire. And that the cops only had shoulder-mounted rifles.
    I will be interested if they divulge what the attackers actually had in the way of weapons.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    And that the cops only had shoulder-mounted rifles.
    LOL. Will cops' crew-served weapons be the tipping point to end the Obamanation?

At Colonel Jeff Cooper's Eightieth Birthday observation at Mid Carolina Rifle Club I got to burn a Mini-gun magazine as I executed the lamestream media in the person of a TV console (remember those?).

Listening to the shooting it was from a semi-auto rifle. No F/A was heard. Caliber/cartridge unknown.
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

Let me try to help you with this.

There is blunt trauma dead, then knife dead, then handgun dead, then assault rifle dead. Blunt trauma dead is not as dead as assault rifle dead.

Hope this helps...
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Banned
    Maybe a guy's (or girl's) name and they forgot to capitalize. More Deadly.

Look like it being reported that :
    “he was upset about the recent police shootings” and “wanted to kill white people, especially white officers.”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/breaki...id=mailsignout

Now I find that hard to believe. Why on earth would the guy be upset over police shooting people?

The sniper who participated in an attack that killed five officers and wounded seven others during a demonstration in downtown Dallas was hell-bent on killing white people, especially white police officers, police said Friday.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/three-off...000000452.html

Now get ready ... all your guns are now sniper guns ....

? is: was the shooting justified?
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 07-08-2016 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroHog View Post
    Listening to the shooting it was from a semi-auto rifle. No F/A was heard. Caliber/cartridge unknown.
    Semi-Automatic, Fully Automatic....... the terms are interchangeable, right?
    Assault Weapon (N) “Any firearm whose design disturbs the sleep of progressive politicians.”.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Let me try to help you with this.

There is blunt trauma dead, then knife dead, then handgun dead, then assault rifle dead. Blunt trauma dead is not as dead as assault rifle dead.

Hope this helps...
    You KNOW where I'm putting this... right?
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

State Researcher
    When homosexuals or Muslims are attacked, right wing Christians are said to share some of the blame because of the "rhetoric" they use and culture they supposedly foster.

So when nearly a dozen cops are shot in cold blood, does our President or Black Lives Matter or anyone else of that ilk bear any responsibility for their "rhetoric"?

Or is that different?

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Quote Originally Posted by utbagpiper View Post
    [ ... ]So when nearly a dozen cops are shot in cold blood, does our President or Black Lives Matter or anyone else of that ilk bear any responsibility for their "rhetoric"? Or is that different? Charles
    If only. cold blood n. A state of mild or low emotions, previously understood as a condition whereby the blood has not been appreciably heated by emotional intensity.

The root problem is that cops are by and large intemperate. To the point that newsreaders commented on how calm was the girlfriend videoing in the car in the Minnesota killing.

Quote Originally Posted by utbagpiper View Post
    When homosexuals or Muslims are attacked, right wing Christians are said to share some of the blame because of the "rhetoric" they use and culture they supposedly foster.

So when nearly a dozen cops are shot in cold blood, does our President or Black Lives Matter or anyone else of that ilk bear any responsibility for their "rhetoric"?

Or is that different?

Charles
    Charles,

When homosexuals, Muslims or police officers are attacked the blame is entirely upon those that commit the acts. Neither Right wing Christians nor Black Lives Matter have committed these atrocities.

Live Free or Die,
    Thundar
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    If only. cold blood n. A state of mild or low emotions, previously understood as a condition whereby the blood has not been appreciably heated by emotional intensity.

The root problem is that cops are by and large intemperate. To the point that newsreaders commented on how calm was the girlfriend videoing in the car in the Minnesota killing.
    I was writing of the officers shot last night in Dallas. These men were providing security to folks who were, more or less, protesting against the officers. Yet is there any indication of any heated emotions on the part of cops prior to the start of shooting?

By and large, the cops I've interacted with have been calm, professional, and polite. This includes when OCing, CCing, and unarmed. It includes traffic stops where I was at fault, stops where I wasn't at fault, casual conversations, and other interactions. Heck, it includes when I was a teenager driving a muscle car that screamed "uninsured minority drug runner." The intemperate jerks have the exception. I doubt the officers in Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, and Massachusetts that I personally interacted with have been rare exceptions. I figure the are typical.

If someone is routinely having very different experiences, I have to start to wonder what might be different about his conduct. Or maybe, cops in some parts of the nation really are very different than the cops I've interacted with.

While the potential to let power go to their heads is real, I figure most cops are like most other folks: generally decent. I think any other broad-brushed characterization is unjust and inappropriate beyond what seems to be a certain institutional unwillingness to call out and speak against bad conduct on the part of the rare bad apple. It is this, singular untoward trait along with selective media coverage, I suspect is most at the root of diminishing public trust of the police.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

--Marxist.org

Ilya Somin, 'Things to remember as we contemplate the anti-police atrocity in Dallas.

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    When homosexuals, Muslims or police officers are attacked the blame is entirely upon those that commit the acts. Neither Right wing Christians nor Black Lives Matter have committed these atrocities.
    I agree. Most importantly, 100 million law-abiding gun owners didn't commit those atrocities either.

But that is not what gets shouted across far too many bully-pulpits both partisan and supposedly neutral media.

Charles

--Marxist.org

Banned
    And I like how they call it an "ambush". Like no knock warrants are any different.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    And I like how they call it an "ambush". Like no knock warrants are any different.
    From what I learned it was a cowardly attack, using sniper-ambush tactics. It ended much more honorably though. They remote controlled a robot with a bomb attached to it and blew up the bad guy.
    Come to think of it...Why do our peace officers have bombs?
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    From what I learned it was a cowardly attack, using sniper-ambush tactics. It ended much more honorably though. They remote controlled a robot with a bomb attached to it and blew up the bad guy.
    Come to think of it...Why do our peace officers have bombs?
    Remember Philly in about 1975 ... bombs away !

Really, I don't trust these guys with rubber band guns ... I think that they lucked out this time. Outta of a hundred times, one gottas work.

State Researcher
    I heard of this listening to the radio while driving home from work last night. I got home and told my wife. Her first words were, "Somebody has had some training." That made immediate sense as we realized that the wounded were 10 officers and only a couple of non-police. "At the very least," I told my better half, "these are guys who get to the range a little, rather than inner-city gang bangers."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/07/08...y-rampage.html

Quote Originally Posted by FoxNews
    According to a senior U.S. defense official, Johnson [one of the shooting suspects] enlisted in the U.S. Army reserves in 2009 and rose to the rank of private first class. He had one deployment to Afghanistan from November, 2013 to July of 2014. Upon returning, he remained an inactive reserve until May, 2015, when he was honorably discharged.

“The suspect said he was upset about Black Lives Matter,” Dallas Police Chief David Brown said Friday morning. “He was upset about recent police shootings. He was upset with white people.

“He wanted to kill white people, especially white police officers,” Brown added. “The suspect said he was upset at white people.”

--Marxist.org

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    ? is: was the shooting justified?
    No. It was a tragic injustice, and is heartbreaking.
    Advocate freedom please

For those interested, the shooter used an SKS (7.62x39).

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...source=copyurl
    Last edited by The Truth; 07-08-2016 at 06:54 PM.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    For those interested, the shooter used an SKS (7.62x39).

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...source=copyurl
    He ran up behind the police officer, who was hiding behind a pillar. (from link ^^)

All should watch this as a teaching aid. A pillar may offer some concealment but not very good cover. The guy should have used the concealment to get to cover.

I imagine that the range for the shooting was 100 yrds maybe? Well within a SKS.

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Concealment blocks vision but not projectiles. Cover impedes projectiles. I imagine the pillar in this case was cover. The officer was moving up on the shooter, possibly in a daring effort to stop him. Unfortunately, the shooter outmaneuvered the officer to get around his cover. The officer appeared focused around one side of the pillar, and the shooter rushed around the other. This particular gun battle, between this officer and the shooter, occurred at point blank range. This was video recorded by a witness. Very tragic. Yes, while extremely tragic, and difficult to watch, the video of this gun battle will likely provide some valuable tactical lessons that could save the lives of future officers (or lawful gun owners).
    Advocate freedom please

What I'm starting to find really disturbing (if a little off topic) about the situation (aside from a dozen innocent people getting gunned down) is that the police basically used a robot to bomb the last suspect. On one hand, he'd killed and was ready to kill again, claimed to have bombs, there was probably no safe way to go in and apprehend him, and he didn't seem inclined to surrender. On the other hand... remote robotic bombing of civilians on American soil is not a precedent I want to see.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast