• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LAC was picked out for Dallas shooting -

solus

But it goes completely against the narrative. His pic is being circulated in a positive way now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

operative word is NOW...

the individual could have very well been another statistic
ipse

stealthyeliminator

"Could have very well been another statistic"... but instead he contributes to a positive statistic. You won't accept the positive because you think there was a chance it could have been a negative? I don't get it?

solus

"Could have very well been another statistic"... but instead he contributes to a positive statistic. You won't accept the positive because you think there was a chance it could have been a negative? I don't get it?

stealthy...that his photo was widely and publically disseminated to a group of nice LEs, & JQPublic (who might be in a vigilante mentality to take things into their own hands) shouldn't have occurred in the first place, IMHO as it puts the nice gentleman in grave danger ~ especially from vigilantes.

instead, as mcbeth observes, the police should be chastised for their actions based purely on an individual's ethnicity, which put the young man in this grave position...

you seem to believe there was a chance of it being a negative statistic...humm one man reaching for his license is dead, humm one man selling CDs is dead...all within 24 hours in normal controlled environment not a crisis filled mass shooting situation...that stealthy isn't a statistical anomaly but a very real possibility.

further, this young man's photo has been disseminated far and near...i do hope everyone got the message he didn't have a thing to do with the dallas event so one hopes there are no future inadvertent repercussions...

positive...no as it shouldn't have occurred in the first place.

ipse

utbagpiper

Banned
See black guy with gun; he needs to be apprehended !

How many people of any race were seen carrying a long gun in the area where nearly a dozen innocent persons get shot by someone using a long gun?

Hmm. A black man carrying a long gun at a Black Lives Matter protest where white cops are shot by someone using a rifle?

Tell me there were a couple of white guys carrying rifles who were ignored while the police focused on this black man and I'll consider racism. Until then, I suspect "long gun" had a lot more to do with the man being considered a suspect than his race. Although let's be honest. If a similar thing had happened at KKK or skin head rally and the police had identified the one white guy in the area carrying a slung rifle as a possible suspect, would anyone be crying "racism"?

This looks to me like a classic case of profiling....and not in the entirely negative, politically correct way that word is used.

What is most ironic about the chosen target, is that according to a couple of different articles, including one on NPR and one at the Independent in the UK the Dallas PD is a "model of transparency and engagement" and "the police are a part of the community." "Dallas Police Chief David Brown told reporters that he and his colleagues had taken part in organising the peaceful rally against police brutality that was in progress before the bloodshed began. His officers even posed for pictures with protesters, contrary to the division and confrontation that has characterised similar demonstrations in other cities."

What some seem to be suggesting is that police should completely ignore identifying features like race or sex, even when they might well be relevant.

And as a middle aged white guy, I recognize that if I want park my car to take a phone call or eat a sandwich, a grammar or middle school parking lot is not nearly as good a choice for me than it might be for my wife. I recognize that I'm going to be scrutinized differently than will my wife if I approach a child who appears to be lost or otherwise in some need. And I was a lot more selective about who I'd let my son babysit for than I was my daughter.

It is not unusual for cops to get a name a wrong suspect. There are good reasons constitutional protections for the accused exist: it is entirely possible to get the wrong guy. Richard Jewell was not only very white, but a cop to boot. Richard Ricci, who was wrongly accused of, arrested for and died while in custody for, abducting Elizabeth Smart was also very white, though he had a parole violation and the prior conviction as marks against him. Nobody screamed racial profiling in these cases.

Falsely crying wolf is generally not good for anyone.

Charles

Last edited:

hammer6

stealthy...that his photo was widely and publically disseminated to a group of nice LEs, & JQPublic (who might be in a vigilante mentality to take things into their own hands) shouldn't have occurred in the first place, IMHO as it puts the nice gentleman in grave danger ~ especially from vigilantes.

instead, as mcbeth observes, the police should be chastised for their actions based purely on an individual's ethnicity, which put the young man in this grave position...

you seem to believe there was a chance of it being a negative statistic...humm one man reaching for his license is dead, humm one man selling CDs is dead...all within 24 hours in normal controlled environment not a crisis filled mass shooting situation...that stealthy isn't a statistical anomaly but a very real possibility.

further, this young man's photo has been disseminated far and near...i do hope everyone got the message he didn't have a thing to do with the dallas event so one hopes there are no future inadvertent repercussions...

positive...no as it shouldn't have occurred in the first place.

ipse

Agree

hammer6

How many people of any race were seen carrying a long gun in the area where nearly a dozen innocent persons get shot by someone using a long gun?

Hmm. A black man carrying a long gun at a Black Lives Matter protest where white cops are shot by someone using a rifle?

Tell me there were a couple of white guys carrying rifles who were ignored while the police focused on this black man and I'll consider racism. Until then, I suspect "long gun" had a lot more to do with the man being considered a suspect than his race. Although let's be honest. If a similar thing had happened at KKK or skin head rally and the police had identified the one white guy in the area carrying a slung rifle as a possible suspect, would anyone be crying "racism"?

Charles

At the time we didn't know it was a long gun. The media doesn't even know the difference between semi auto and full auto.

Maverick9

They just play stupid.

No one is THAT stupid.

It's subtler than that. They revel in the lack of distinction. I can imagine one saying to someone in private 'there's really no difference, they both spray bullets'. Of course if they were on a quiz show making money, or among other antis, trying to appear erudite they could cite all sorts of 'factoids' about what an auto is.

It's like a selective, planned ignorance which they hope 'catches on' as (incorrect) truth if they say it wrong enough times to the 'right' people (who are truly ignorant).

Last edited:

OC for ME

What positive statistic? Other than Hughs remains alive I see no positive outcome from his interaction with DPD.

stealthyeliminator

What positive statistic? Other than Hughs remains alive I see no positive outcome from his interaction with DPD.

Not sure what I meant at the time. I may have misunderstood the conversation going on.

I guess all I'd say now is that I support those that were carrying lawfully, and at this time I don't believe their carry was truly problematic or negative.

utbagpiper

Banned
At the time we didn't know it was a long gun. The media doesn't even know the difference between semi auto and full auto.

I presume the police ask for help finding a suspect based on what they know (or at least believe) rather than on what "we" know. Certainly what the media does or doesn't "know" shouldn't have much bearing on what the police do.

Again, I suspect this had a lot more to do with "profiling" a guy with a slung long gun at a location shortly before 10 cops were shot with a long gun, than it does with the race (or religion or sexual orientation or political affiliation) of the guy.

The overplaying of the race card is a big part of the problem. If I get stopped because my car matches a vehicle the cops are looking for, it is just a wrong match. If a cop is a jerk towards me, he is just a jerk. If the same things happen to a racial minority, however, it is too often presumed to be a case of racial discrimination. What cop in his right mind is going to deliberately engage in anything even hinting at racial discrimination these days? The mere allegation--even if proven false--is enough to be a career killer and perhaps even bring down a price on his head from the New Black Panthers or some other black power group. Is there any question that Michael Brown was a violent thug who assaulted a cop? Yet what has become of Darren Wilson's career and life? So I ask again, what cop, in this day, is going to deliberately engage in racism? Double so when it isn't a "heat-of-the-moment, life-or-death" kind of situation?

Charles

Dave Workman

Try this on for size:

Gun Control Refuted by what Didn’t Happen In Dallas

What didn’t happen in Dallas last week when a sniper opened fire on police during a protest march is more proof that the gun prohibition lobby’s rhetoric is simply nonsense, as evident by a report Sunday from the Associated Press.

http://libertyparkpress.com/gun-control-refuted-by-what-didnt-happen-in-dallas/

Last edited by a moderator:

hammer6

From what I've heard from open carry Texas on Facebook, is that there were at least 20 people there OCing. Not all black either.