• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Assault Weapon Definition in Virginia

Ungeheuer

Hello All,

I am 18 years old and trying to understand Virginia law regarding the definition of what an assault weapon is so that when I choose to open-carry, or even simply purchase a rifle, I am not breaking the law. This idiotic maze of gun legislation is rather confusing. I found the following on the NRA-ILA website on Virginia gun laws, and was hoping someone could clear up some confusion on it for me:

“Assault firearm” means any semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol which is equipped with a magazine which will hold more than twenty rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock.

The part that I am confused about is "...or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer...". I am building an AR-15 and have found an excellent barrel, however it is threaded. Does the simple presence of threads make any gun in which that barrel is a component an "Assault Weapon?" It is critical that someone points me in the right direction as I have not found any sites actually explaining what any of this stuff actually means. Under Virginia law, anyone under 21 cannot legally own an "Assault Weapon," let alone open carry one unless on private property w/ permission from owner of said property. Any help is appreciated in deciphering this garbage.

Thanks,
Unge

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
You can dremel the threads off or cut the barrel down the couple of centimers ... YOU are the designer. You decide.

As far as the overall design to insure its "legal" ... contact a lawyer for more details. Make up a design and show a lawyer and be open to changes.

Its not hard to get around definitions ... just have to be willing to do the small amt of extra work.

Last edited: