Thread: The New Jim Crow, coincidental community forum 'book club'

The New Jim Crow, coincidental community forum 'book club'

As I know it has been in planning for months, it was quite coincidental that I was invited by my community's social justice warriors to participate in a forum on mass incarceration in the form of a book club reading of Michelle Alexander's The New Jim Crow (2nd ed. New Press 2012).

I've read the front and back material and the Index, and instantly noticed no mention of the Right to Keep And Bear Arms, and the four Violence index entries don't necessarily use the word, but rather some freighted synonym.

I also found 'Racial Critiques of Mass Incarceration: Beyond the New Jim Crow', James Forman, Jr., Yale University - Law School, November 29, 2011

NYU Law Review, April 2012, Yale Law School, Public Law Working Paper No. 243

Abstract:
    In the last decade, a number of scholars have called the American criminal justice system a new form of Jim Crow. These writers have effectively drawn attention to the injustices created by a facially race-neutral system that severely ostracizes offenders and stigmatizes young, poor black men as criminals. This Article argues that despite these important contributions, the Jim Crow analogy leads to a distorted view of mass incarceration. The analogy presents an incomplete account of mass incarceration’s historical origins, fails to consider black attitudes toward crime and punishment, ignores violent crimes while focusing almost exclusively on drug crimes, obscures class distinctions within the African American community, and overlooks the effects of mass incarceration on other racial groups. Finally, the Jim Crow analogy diminishes our collective memory of the Old Jim Crow’s particular harms.

Number of Pages in PDF File: 47. FREE Full text

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.c...act_id=1966018

So when I do get to reading it will be with some skepticism and a bit of resentment for the co-option of Jim Crow.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

thanks for presenting new reading material for me to peruse, tis appreciated.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

I read about half of the Introduction and skipped on to The Rebirth of Caste.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.