Thread: Passing of Dutch Uncle

Passing of Dutch Uncle

It's been too long since I have been on here but I just wanted to let y'all know of the passing of Jim Van Bavel known on the forum as Dutch Uncle. He used to be very active in our group and the VCDL. Some of you knew him from the Tidewater oc dinners we used to have regularly. His obit is in the Daily Press.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbercarrier View Post
    It's been too long since I have been on here but I just wanted to let y'all know of the passing of Jim Van Bavel known on the forum as Dutch Uncle. He used to be very active in our group and the VCDL. Some of you knew him from the Tidewater oc dinners we used to have regularly. His obit is in the Daily Press.
    I remember him well - he will be sorely missed. He was truly one of the good guys.

RIP Dutch, you've earned it.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/nam...00000180611560
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-11-2016 at 04:57 PM. Reason: added link
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

A loss to us indeed... very sad.

Thanks for letting us know, kimbercarrier.

Thanks, Kimbercarrier. Every so often I'd run into Jim at LGC. I hadn't seen him in a while.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

I'm saddened to hear this...,

I enjoyed his posts, and he seemed to be a big part of the meetups in his area. Sorry I didn't get to meet him in person.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29:11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Picture of a younger and healther Dutch Uncle.

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I've missed so much...

I remember Jim. He was a great source of information and advice. I've missed you all, but I am deeply saddened I won't be able to seek the guidance and wisdom of our fallen Heroes of 2A.

Very Respectfully;

Mike
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)