• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Passing of Dutch Uncle

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
It's been too long since I have been on here but I just wanted to let y'all know of the passing of Jim Van Bavel known on the forum as Dutch Uncle. He used to be very active in our group and the VCDL. Some of you knew him from the Tidewater oc dinners we used to have regularly. His obit is in the Daily Press.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It's been too long since I have been on here but I just wanted to let y'all know of the passing of Jim Van Bavel known on the forum as Dutch Uncle. He used to be very active in our group and the VCDL. Some of you knew him from the Tidewater oc dinners we used to have regularly. His obit is in the Daily Press.
I remember him well - he will be sorely missed. He was truly one of the good guys.

RIP Dutch, you've earned it.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/james-van-bavel-obituary?pid=1000000180611560

Last edited:

2a4all

Thanks, Kimbercarrier. Every so often I'd run into Jim at LGC. I hadn't seen him in a while.

sidestreet

I'm saddened to hear this...,

I enjoyed his posts, and he seemed to be a big part of the meetups in his area. Sorry I didn't get to meet him in person.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29:11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Picture of a younger and healther Dutch Uncle.

photo_012952_4311789_0_Photo1_cropped_20160709.jpg

MSC 45ACP

I've missed so much...

I remember Jim. He was a great source of information and advice. I've missed you all, but I am deeply saddened I won't be able to seek the guidance and wisdom of our fallen Heroes of 2A.

Very Respectfully;

Mike