• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Community Activisism- Thoughts/ Issuses- Mod Sticky?

Infidel

I was out OC'ing at the Emerywood Blood Bank today and I thought; What if we the OC community supported a blood drive? How many people would be interested and attend/donate? I thought get reactions and comments from all here in Virginia. We could set up multiple blood drives in many locals perhaps on the day (I'm in Richmond). What are peoples thoughts? With the latest shootings, and just everyday need; a blood drive is great community event, can we get the support?

I just thought it would be something we do as community, and (Moderators); thoughts on seeing this as maybe national event day?

If we can garner the support, we need to have rough numbers of those attending. Any persons able to take the reins for other communities (C'ville, Fredfricksburg, NOVA, Hampton Roads)?

Last edited by a moderator:

Infidel

I saw a news item appealing for blood and platelets recently that I recall associating with Dallas.

I donated platelets for ten years for the Lowcountry Chapter of ARC while armed. One of my phlebotomist also was armed at his work. I went to keep an appointment to see a no-guns statement in 3" high red letters that took up the top 2/3 of the entry door. I went home and called, e-mailed and USPS mailed my protest and plea. ARC would rather have HIV ridden donors. BTDT the t-shirt is wore out.

Whether it be American Red Cross or other organization like Virginia Blood Services, if a blood drive is planned and arranged they come to an event (such as OC Picnic) with the donor mobile buses. But I had no issue at VBS OC'ing.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
We could turn around a slogan from the anti-gunners, and use it for good...

Open Carry Blood Drive...
Blood will flow in the streets!!

Just kidding.

Mostly.

Seriously though, I like your thinking.

Last edited:

wrearick

I think it is a good idea. Last time I checked I was prohibited from donating (due to my service aboard submarines operating out of Holy Loch Scotland [mad cow concerns]) but would be willing to help out/man the table/etc. in the Hampton Roads area.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I like the idea (I, too, am prohibited from donating due to military service overseas), but issue a caution.

It would be very easy to become a story for the mainstream media -- see, they expect further bloodshed, and they're preparing ....

Would ARC send a bloodmobile, since they do not allow carry in their bloodmobiles?

Taypo

Worked for a small company a few years back, workforce was probably 50% veteran. They had a blood drive mobile come by the shop one day without doing any research first and there were more of us turned away than allowed to donate.

Mad Cow is a stone cold PITA for those of us who did time OCONUS in the 80's and 90's and want to donate.

wrearick

as the previous posters, i presumed i was denied to donate blood due to a myriad of reasons, but recently found out by actually visiting a center, that i am in fact not ineligible to contribute.

http://www.redcrossblood.org/donati...nts/eligibility-criteria-alphabetical-listing

unable to isolate anything recent (2003) on mad cow vaccinations preventing eligibility to donate.

ipse...

If there was a vaccination for Mad Cow disease I never got it. The restriction was based on having spent more that 90 days cumulative in the UK and six submarine patrols originating in Holy Loch Scotland amounted to much more than that. That said, I will check again via the link and my local ARC office to see if that restriction is still in place.

scouser

If there was a vaccination for Mad Cow disease I never got it. The restriction was based on having spent more that 90 days cumulative in the UK and six submarine patrols originating in Holy Loch Scotland amounted to much more than that. That said, I will check again via the link and my local ARC office to see if that restriction is still in place.

Was still in place when VA Blood Service called my house wanting my wife to donate and also asking me for a donation just a couple of months ago. They told me I am still ineligible despite it being over 15 years since I lived in the UK and I've never shown any signs of being infected. However, there is apparently no way to detect the disease in blood so people who have lived for long periods in areas where mad cow disease has been found are not allowed to donate blood in the U.S.

If anyone would like to read about it you can do so at http://www.emedicinehealth.com/mad_cow_disease_and_variant_creutzfeldt-jakob/article_em.htm or click on this link

Last edited by a moderator:

solus

i was pleasantly surprised when i stopped by...

ipse

user

Accomplished Advocate
That's pretty diffuse internet-medicine. The best concise exposition might be in the ProMED chronological archives.

Prion diseases or transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs) are a family of rare progressive neurodegenerative disorders that affect both humans and animals. They are distinguished by long incubation periods, characteristic spongiform changes associated with neuronal loss, and a failure to induce inflammatory response.

The causative agents of TSEs are believed to be prions. The term "prions" refers to abnormal, pathogenic agents that are transmissible and are able to induce abnormal folding of specific normal cellular proteins called prion proteins that are found most abundantly in the brain. The functions of these normal prion proteins are still not completely understood. The abnormal folding of the prion proteins leads to brain damage and the characteristic signs and symptoms of the disease. Prion diseases are usually rapidly progressive and always fatal.

Identified Prion Diseases

Listed below are the prion diseases identified to date. CDC does not currently offer information on every prion disease listed below.

Human Prion Diseases

Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (CJD)
Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (vCJD)
Gerstmann-Straussler-Scheinker Syndrome
Fatal Familial Insomnia
Kuru

Animal Prion Diseases

Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE)
Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD)
Scrapie
Transmissible mink encephalopathy
Feline spongiform encephalopathy
Ungulate spongiform encephalopathy

http://www.cdc.gov/prions/index.html

The most common cause of spongiform encephalopathy in humans is glutamic acid toxicity (e.g., from eating MSG, autolyzed yeast & Protein, grains, dairy products, etc.). It causes apoptosis resulting in cellular necrosis in the brain. The brain restores structural integrity by creating the spongiform mass associated with neurological degenerative diseases. And that's only for people who have the genetic characteristic called "autoimmune disorder", i.e., on the lupus side of the spectrum as opposed to the cancer side.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
as the previous posters, i presumed i was denied to donate blood due to a myriad of reasons, but recently found out by actually visiting a center, that i am in fact not ineligible to contribute.

http://www.redcrossblood.org/donati...nts/eligibility-criteria-alphabetical-listing

unable to isolate anything recent (2003) on mad cow vaccinations preventing eligibility to donate.

ipse...

I'll have to ask again. Earlier this year I was told I was ineligible (Ft Belvoir Community Hospital), though it was a passing question. I didn't actually sit down and make the attempt.

Tess

Founder's Club Member

ipse...

I'll have to ask again. Earlier this year I was told I was ineligible (Ft Belvoir Community Hospital), though it was a passing question. I didn't actually sit down and make the attempt.

Now, looking at the Red Cross requirements page, I note the travel requirements were updated in March of this year.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Interesting. I had not before considered autoimmune disorders as transmissible.

There are current suggestions in the alternative medicine community that food-hypersensitivity may be transmissible and treatable as such.

Well, there are virus-induced autoimmune disorders that are transmissible, but what I had in mind was a genetic characteristic, which is transmissible in the sense that one gets the characteristic from his parents and grandparents. Food hypersensitivity, though, tends to be an allergic reaction, which means that one's immune system is reacting to specific proteins in the foods as potential threats. Autoimmune symptoms are the result of a generalized attack on one's own tissues as the result of an assault of some kind (a knock on the head, too much stress, a mosquito bite, toenail fungus, a bad cold) coupled with excess glutamic acid / glutamates. In other words, given the genetic predisposition and glutamate toxicity, and a triggering event, the immune system kind of goes nuts and starts attacking normal, healthy, natural cells in one's own body and generating inflammatory conditions all over.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well, there are virus-induced autoimmune disorders that are transmissible, but what I had in mind was a genetic characteristic, which is transmissible in the sense that one gets the characteristic from his parents and grandparents. Food hypersensitivity, though, tends to be an allergic reaction, which means that one's immune system is reacting to specific proteins in the foods as potential threats. Autoimmune symptoms are the result of a generalized attack on one's own tissues as the result of an assault of some kind (a knock on the head, too much stress, a mosquito bite, toenail fungus, a bad cold) coupled with excess glutamic acid / glutamates. In other words, given the genetic predisposition and glutamate toxicity, and a triggering event, the immune system kind of goes nuts and starts attacking normal, healthy, natural cells in one's own body and generating inflammatory conditions all over.
Therein lay the connection to psoriasis - an auto immune reaction.

Though generally not life threatening, it can be.

Arma1911

Good idea, but....

....from a PR perspective blood and guns don't mix. That being said, I would gladly volunteer my time to help at a blood drive if other members thought it was a good enough idea to move forward with it.

Without question, our cause would be well-served by more outreach/activity on our part by showing the public we are good, honest, and caring citizens within the community.

I have helped on more than one occasion, along with other members of OCDO (led by VCDL EM, Ed Levine), in the "Adopt-a-Highway" campaign and would be interested in more such activities.

Other ideas: partner with a church to serve meals to feed homeless; repair fences/benches at local parks; paint fire hydrants in communities; do trail maintenance/cleanup in a park/forest that allows OC while hiking; partner with a fire department or EMS for a fundraiser (e.g.-spaghetti dinner with us helping cook and serve food); placing flags on veterans' grave sites (where permissible).

More thoughts/ideas?