• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

McCrory signs bill restricting view of police camera recordings

OC for ME

There were growing calls for McCrory to veto the legislation because it makes it difficult for the public – including people involved in a recorded police action – to see it. But the Republican governor said the law will strike a balance between improving public trust in the police and respecting the rights of officers.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article88985782.html
Improving public trust by restricting access to a public record? Oh-kayee

MO is not "as pure as the wind driven snow" on this issue either.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/may/15/missouri-legislature-scales-back-public-access-to-/

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There were growing calls for McCrory to veto the legislation because it makes it difficult for the public – including people involved in a recorded police action – to see it. But the Republican governor said the law will strike a balance between improving public trust in the police and respecting the rights of officers.
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/pol...e88985782.html

So LEOs have the right to be anonymous? Not in my book.

OC for ME

Recording made in MO public schools will be a closed record to protect the "children." A public school, where anyone with legitimate business can enter, is now a private setting? Sent this very question to both my elected reps, who voted for this absurd notion, to explain themselves...not a peep in return. My follow-up e-mail expressed my disappointment regarding their claimed support of government transparency as nothing but demagoguery.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Unfortunate not to have a link to the bill/law to review.

Perhaps the law only closes the door on FOIA related requests but not common law requests. Hard to say w/o seeing the text.

Never been a fan of police body cams ... this is one reason.

Add this and photoshop and video editors and you'll get made up evidence by the boatloads.

I hope members here have stopped convicting people when serving as a jurist ....