Thread: Traveling from NC to Chesapeake

Traveling from NC to Chesapeake

I am traveling from NC to Chesapeake to a few days to fish. Also going downtown Norfolk to visit the USS Wisconsin. Anything that I need to be aware of for any of these areas of the bridge/tunnel? Thanks in advance!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffy_ssd View Post
    I am traveling from NC to Chesapeake to a few days to fish. Also going downtown Norfolk to visit the USS Wisconsin. Anything that I need to be aware of for any of these areas of the bridge/tunnel? Thanks in advance!
    OC is well recognized in Virginia, including Norfolk.

Can't find the cite, but as I recall the Wisconsin is owned by a private entity and does not allow guns.

State agencies (ABC, DMV, etc) are GFZ thanks to our governor's edict, but the only response is threatened trespass.

No propane tanks permitted in the tunnel - RVs and camper trailer.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    OC is well recognized in Virginia, including Norfolk. Can't find the cite, but as I recall the Wisconsin is owned by a private entity and does not allow guns.
    Nauticus.org. No hits on a site search for firearms.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 07-15-2016 at 06:19 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    OC is well recognized in Virginia, including Norfolk.

Can't find the cite, but as I recall the Wisconsin is owned by a private entity and does not allow guns.

State agencies (ABC, DMV, etc) are GFZ thanks to our governor's edict, but the only response is threatened trespass.

No propane tanks permitted in the tunnel - RVs and camper trailer.
    bit of clarification on propane......You must stop at the inspection station prior to entering any of the tunnels. Once you do that you will be allowed to travel through the tunnel with your propane tanks. They will verify that your propane is turned off. I have heard two "theories" on why -

1. IF your pilot light was out your RV would be releasing propane to the surrounding air. As propane is heavier than air it would pool in the tunnel low point and could interfere with breathing or reach explosive proportions.

2. If your RV is running any equipment on propane (normally the fridge during travel) there is an open flame (pilot light) that could ignite any combustive gases in the tunnel.

I believe that number 1 is the most likely based on there being multiple sources of igniters (trailer chains sparking on the pavement, cigarettes, etc.) so the inspection is designed to prevent the release and buildup of propane in the tunnel.

I also could find no restrictions on firearms on their web site.
    Last edited by wrearick; 07-15-2016 at 07:44 AM.

Watch your speed on the Chesapeake Expressway. Lots of speed traps.

don't ask me how I know.

According to the Navy the city of Norfolk has the battleship Wisconsin since 2010.

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=52691

03Release Date: 4/18/2010 7:11:00 AM

The city of Norfolk officially took over stewardship of the decommissioned Iowa-class battleship, USSb Wisconsin (BB-64), during a ceremony at The National Maritime Center on April 16.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

I visited 2014 - I didn't tour it - was a $10-15 fee. I had not been there before so did not OC. You can walk up to the Wisconsin on public pier - so OC is alright there. I then came in the back door of the multi-tenant building - don't recall it being posted, and went to the great Naval History museum of Hampton Roads, want to say is was sponsored by the US Navy - exhibits were great. Since it was Fed Govt and probably 'budget starved DoD', they didn't even have tour book of the exhibits - a lot of which I had never seen. Like the double turreted monitor class Onondaga or a model of a ship with an observation balloon on its deck.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monitor.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	13172Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Onondaga.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	13175

Also tour of Norfolk Navy base was great. The Norfolk base tour starts out of the gift shop - need to get there early to get your name on list and check IDs. No OC allowed there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wisc64.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	13176   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	norfolk.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	13177  
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    --snipped--

Also tour of Norfolk Navy base was great. The Norfolk base tour starts out of the gift shop - need to get there early to get your name on list and check IDs. No OC allowed there.
    Don't think any type of civilian carry, other than security, would be allowed there.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.