Thread: Turkish military coup d'etat. Martial law declared.

Turkish military coup d'etat. Martial law declared.

Since 1960, the NATO member has experienced at least three takeovers by the secular-minded army. But since the Islamist-rooted Ak Party government came to power in 2002, the political influence of the military has been trimmed.
    [ ... ]
    The coup effort won’t be permitted to succeed and will be repulsed “very soon,” Prime Minister Binali Yildirim told NTV television. He said army units have besieged “some institutions.” Police, traditionally closer to his government than the army, have been ordered to use arms if necessary. CNN Turk television said that police fired at a military helicopter in Ankara. It wasn’t immediately clear how much of the country is under military control.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...to-seize-power
    Last edited by Nightmare; 07-15-2016 at 07:13 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Turkish army guardians of their secular constitution, against Islamist rewrite

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-the-army-see/

How many here would claim COTUS secular, citing "the wall of separation between church and state.". "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"

Did Erdogan STAGE the coup? Cleric claims coup plot to minimize civil rights.

In response to the attempted rebellion, Turkish authorities have detained 2,745 judges and prosecutors whose loyalty to the regime has been questioned.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...il-rights.html
    Last edited by Nightmare; 07-16-2016 at 05:59 PM.

the former PM, now filling the previously ceremonial presidency as the country's newest democratically elected dictator has been slowly squeezing and interfering with individual liberty of Turkish citizens since he came into power. unfortunately, the concept he organized this event to harness his power base even more is not beyond reason.

my understanding, there are some of the country's citizens who are disappointed the bomb exploded in Southern Turkei missed its target.

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 07-16-2016 at 06:45 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    In response to the attempted rebellion, Turkish authorities have detained 2,745 judges and prosecutors whose loyalty to the regime has been questioned.
    It seems that if Erdogan didn't stage his own "coup", whomever did, did him a huge favor. A great pretext to round up and eliminate anyone who objected to his rule.

Chares
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Unfortunately Obama has conversed with Ergodan, informing each other I am sure.

Banned
    Hooray, the coup has been defeated. More freedom for all now, right ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...il-rights.html

Oh man, I knew that this was going to happen.....

I expect it will come out that Erdogan staged a fake coup to consolidate his power and eliminate non-Islamist enemies. You will see Turkey go full Islam now. Expect them t/b booted from NATO.

Would expect Eastern Turkey to try and create separate Kurdish state w Syrian and Iraqi Kurds. Birth rates in eastern Turkey are much larger than flat-to-negative western Turkey. Freedom w/b diminished in Turkey - like Obama-supported Islamic Bro-hood before Sisi took power. Noticed Egypt vetoed UN Preezy-pushed proclamation that wd have supported Erdogan regime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

There it is, the second shoe dropped.

"We cannot ignore this demand," Erdogan told the chanting crowd. "In democracies, whatever the people say has to happen."

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    "We cannot ignore this demand," Erdogan told the chanting crowd. "In democracies, whatever the people say has to happen."
    Even a vocal minority?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Even a vocal minority?

minus the 6K+/- turks currently implicated & arrested in the president's staged coup. oh minus one each cleric residing in PA.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Even a vocal minority?
    Sometimes ? Shoot him an email to elaborate his thoughts?

I don't think you want to live in a pure democracy.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 07-18-2016 at 04:55 PM.

Nuclear security at Incirlik,Turkey. Post-coup crackdown long planned. Obama complict

The government of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has launched a massive crackdown on dissent in recent days, arresting an estimated 20,000 government civilians, 8,000 police officers and 9,000 troops. The crackdown has fueled speculation that the failed coup may have been orchestrated by Mr. Erdogan. The post-coup activities appear to have been planned well in advance of the attempted July 15 putsch.
    Nuclear weapons analyst Hans M. Kristensen of the Federation of American Scientists estimates there are about 50 nuclear bombs within 25 underground storage vaults at Incirlik. Additionally, security at the nuclear storage site was increased with new fortifications last year.
    The air base was used by rebel military forces who launched the coup against the increasingly Islamist government of Mr. Erdogan.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...o-separatists/

Coup attempt in Turkey raises a nuclear concern at US air base.

Incirlik Air Base was an operational centre of the attempted coup. It is also America’s largest foreign stockpile of nuclear weapons.
    [ ... ]
    But the failed military coup against Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has increased long-standing concerns about the military usefulness and security of the Incirlik armoury, America’s largest foreign stockpile of nuclear weapons.

http://www.scmp.com/news/world/europ...rn-us-air-base

​CNNTurk reports that the fire threatens a number of populated areas, and has already impacted a home for the elderly and its adjacent garden, T24 News reports. The channel also reports that anti-American "sabotage" in the wake of the attempted overthrow of the Erdogan government is suspected.

The fire threatens the Allied Land Command (LANDCOM) base at Şirinyer (Buca) in İzmir, Turkey. LANDCOM is tasked with supporting US troops to enhance reaction time and the unit is equipped to respond to international crises.

Although Washington maintains its largest overseas nuclear arsenal in Turkey, consisting of up to 90 tactical nuclear weapons, the US atomic weapons stockpile is stored at Incirlik air base and no such weapons of mass destruction are reportedly stored at the Izmir base.

http://sputniknews.com/middleeast/20...e-erdogan.html
    Last edited by Nightmare; 07-25-2016 at 07:09 AM.

we have a nuclear stockpile in a foreign country controlled by islamists.... why?

I mean how stupid is our government to have such devices in such an area.

frankly if we are not present, neither should the devices be, or they should be sabatoged beyond recognition and repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezek View Post
    we have a nuclear stockpile in a foreign country controlled by islamists.... why?

I mean how stupid is our government to have such devices in such an area.

frankly if we are not present, neither should the devices be, or they should be sabatoged beyond recognition and repair.
    actually, ezek, under DoS/DoD/Turkei military/government reps negotiated Status of Forces Agreement the base is under control by us military personnel w/minimal on site host country overseer as well as host country who guard the facility's perimeter at the 'lik' located in southern Turkei.

remember where the threat is presumed from end of WWII > to date. coupled with the mentality that the nuke strike force needs to be available quickly.

historically, Turkei allowed us in country after the war to show good faith so as to open the door for the country to join NATO.

during the coup, the us bases went into lock-down (not sure if that means to the extent us military guarded the perimeter or not) and with significantly higher security around high compromise property.

interesting read on SOFAgreements http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/236456.pdf

as you noted, the shock and awe is alive and well over the US material maintained in this strategic location of the world, but do not get sucked into the hyperbole as there are more important things to worry about.

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 07-25-2016 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    actually, ezek, under DoS/DoD/Turkei military/government reps negotiated Status of Forces Agreement the base is under control by us military personnel w/minimal on site host country overseer as well as host country who guard the facility's perimeter at the 'lik' located in southern Turkei.

remember where the threat is presumed from end of WWII > to date. coupled with the mentality that the nuke strike force needs to be available quickly.

historically, Turkei allowed us in country after the war to show good faith so as to open the door for the country to join NATO.

during the coup, the us bases went into lock-down (not sure if that means to the extent us military guarded the perimeter or not) and with significantly higher security around high compromise property.

interesting read on SOFAgreements http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/236456.pdf

as you noted, the shock and awe is alive and well over the US material maintained in this strategic location of the world, but do not get sucked into the hyperbole as there are more important things to worry about.

ipse
    I still say it is a dumb idea, with ISIS rise to power, this guy likely staging his own Coup, and if he is an islamist, likely has ties to ISIS or other terrorist affiliates. should he gain enough military might, he theoretically COULD take the base and the Nukes and disburse them to other terrorist outfits, or sell them to north korea.. Kim Jong Ung or whatever has been wanting to get his fat chubby fingers on one for a while now. as it would put a great deal of power behind his threats, and would probably help with keeping his people in line.

is it a strategic location? should we need to launch them, yes, is it a good idea to have nukes next to potential threats that are salivating at the mouth? no.. very dumb. i'm sure there are better more strategic positions in friendlier countries. or we could just remove it and use mobile naval launching facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezek View Post
    I still say it is a dumb idea, with ISIS rise to power, this guy likely staging his own Coup, and if he is an islamist, likely has ties to ISIS or other terrorist affiliates. should he gain enough military might, he theoretically COULD take the base and the Nukes and disburse them to other terrorist outfits, or sell them to north korea.. Kim Jong Ung or whatever has been wanting to get his fat chubby fingers on one for a while now. as it would put a great deal of power behind his threats, and would probably help with keeping his people in line.

is it a strategic location? should we need to launch them, yes, is it a good idea to have nukes next to potential threats that are salivating at the mouth? no.. very dumb. i'm sure there are better more strategic positions in friendlier countries. or we could just remove it and use mobile naval launching facilities.
    darn ezek, if any them there foreign power(s) truly wants their very own nuke...they just have to come down to rural, religious, eastern NC ~ <30 miles from where my tired arse is currently sitting and find the one the USAF lost in a 'bog', dog gone, bring them foreigners on...

ipse

Banned
    We have to take away all your rights ... to protect them.

darn ezek, if any them there foreign power(s) truly wants their very own nuke...they just have to come down to rural, religious, eastern NC ~ <30 miles from where my tired arse is currently sitting and find the one the USAF lost in a 'bog', dog gone, bring them foreigners on...

ipse
    I guess i'll get down to early morning brass tacks, the nuke that was "lost" requires invading mainland, and getting past our naval forces and coast guard first.

there all they have to do is take a base, it is already in their country and on Turkish land. and if he did stage his own coup, he obviously doesn't care about the human sacrifice factor.

the base is also obsolete IMO with the advent of mobile naval ICBM launching vessels. IMO they can create the most preferred launching positions as you can get next to almost any country and launch, if your desire is a faster strike. which is the only point of this base, I mean seriously from central USA we launch, and target any country in the world, we WILL hit the target, they just have several hours for a heads up.

besides a ground based strike is/should be secondary to a high altitude detonation. or vice versa, I would say use the first one for an EMP to take out MOST communications and MOST of the targets electrical grid, then hit your initial/primary target immediately afterwards.

well ezek, you described the defense strategy plan from the sixties to a T.

shades of dr strangelove or: how i stopped worring and learned to love the bomb.

instead of our armed forces attacking national groups around the world playing policemen...why not pull our troops and equipment back home and allow the afghan populace to continue under regional chieftain rule, like they have since time began; let the Imans control iran, iraq, eygpt, ad nauseam.

we have serious enough promlems here, starving children, homelessness of families, that requires our attention...but the huge profit $$$$$ lost precludes the military shut down. doesnt matter cccp spent 10 years, and our service members spent 14+ and still counting in afghan and didnt change a bloody thing except show the country how to effectively grow poppies.

ipse

Banned

instead of our armed forces attacking national groups around the world playing policemen...why not pull our troops and equipment back home and allow the afghan populace to continue under regional chieftain rule, like they have since time began; let the Imans control iran, iraq, eygpt, ad nauseam.

<snip>
    You forgot one: acting as policemen in the USA. Go away soldier man !

well ezek, you described the defense strategy plan from the sixties to a T.

shades of dr strangelove or: how i stopped worring and learned to love the bomb.

we have serious enough promlems here, starving children, homelessness of families, that requires our attention...but the huge profit $$$$$ lost precludes the military shut down. doesnt matter cccp spent 10 years, and our service members spent 14+ and still counting in afghan and didnt change a bloody thing except show the country how to effectively grow poppies.

ipse
    so... you agree then?

also, if that has been the strategy of the 60's then it is obviously the most effective strategy, nextly if the base and nuke storage where just tools for Favor to join NATO, then this in and of itself could easily have implications that lend themselves to the tinfoil hat crowd.. which I won't go into extravagant detail on, as I don't feel like wearing my hat today.