• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun belt's

3FULLMAGS+1

I've always carried a light single stack using a thick leather belt for the most part but am trying to carry a double stack 9mm XD mod 2, 3" ,(and sometimes a 4"), and am finding out now that the leather belts I'm using aren't good enough for the heavier mod 2's.

I've went back and read a few threads on here about the issue but would rather start a new thread.

I've seen some belts that have a layer made of kydex or steel between two layers of leather or nylon and I'm also interested in a belt that is completly adjustable.

I don't really want to collect belts like I've collected holsters, if you know what I mean....lol

And I OC also, probably about 95% of the time.

Thanks.

cocked&locked

I've always carried a light single stack using a thick leather belt for the most part but am trying to carry a double stack 9mm XD mod 2, 3" ,(and sometimes a 4"), and am finding out now that the leather belts I'm using aren't good enough for the heavier mod 2's.

I've went back and read a few threads on here about the issue but would rather start a new thread.

I've seen some belts that have a layer made of kydex or steel between two layers of leather or nylon and I'm also interested in a belt that is completly adjustable.

I don't really want to collect belts like I've collected holsters, if you know what I mean....lol

And I OC also, probably about 95% of the time.

Thanks.

Zlogonje Gunleather makes the best belts (and holsters) I have ever seen for a reasonable price.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
The type of holster you use effects how well the belt functions. The higher the gun is carried on the belt the more twist will result. Or the higher the center of gravity the stiffer the belt needs to be, as well as the width of the belt.

One of the tests I use is where is the bottom of the holster when I sit down. If the bottom touches the seat of the chair its being carried to low. Car seats and soft chairs or couches will also effects the carry.

solus

The type of holster you use effects how well the belt functions. The higher the gun is carried on the belt the more twist will result. Or the higher the center of gravity the stiffer the belt needs to be, as well as the width of the belt.

One of the tests I use is where is the bottom of the holster when I sit down. If the bottom touches the seat of the chair its being carried to low. Car seats and soft chairs or couches will also effects the carry.

CoL, please do not forget the other belt criteria that needs to be calculated is how bad an individual's 'dun lapp' disease is...

0-1-fat-man.jpg

ipse

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I use a 1 and 3/4 waxed cotton golf belt when I carry my Star Super which weighs 43 ounces loaded with holster. It supports the gun very well.

Taypo

I've got a couple leather belts from Thompson Tactical - one reinforced with Kydex, one not. There's definitely a difference in the stiffness and the reinforced version is my go to when I'm carrying heavy (full size 9mm and a pair of mags). The non reinforced works well for IWB carry.

I've also got a reinforced nylon Instructor Belt from Wilderness Tactical. It's a great lighter weight belt, but I've lost a bunch of weight and it just doesnt fit anymore.

WalkingWolf

Can you describe the belt you are talking about?
I'm not understanding.
I need to stick w/ a belt that's about 1 and 1/2 " wide as my pants loops are not any wider than that...generally.

Mine I just bought from Wally World, and then hot waxed the belt. I was mistaken, just measured it and it is slightly over 1.5 inches. Not sure why I was thinking 1.75.

It will cost you about 10 dollars for the belt, and about 6 dollars for box of wax. Mine is comfortable, not overly thick, and it supports a 40 oz gun in a high ride IWB holster like it was not even there. It if ever does wear out you should have plenty of wax and another one is only about 10 bucks.

There are some good thick leather belts out there, but they are thick, and most heavier than need be. Once the gun gets to heavy for a dress belt, IMO, it is time for a wider heavy belt instead of thick narrow belt. When I carry my heavy revolvers it is on one of two belts, one it a double layer two inch belt I carry a 4 inch GP100, and a Rossi 352 cross draw. It is a thick belt I made from a carpenters belt and remnants of riders chaps. The other which I carry a 1873 SA revolver, and a S&W model 25 four inch N frame. It is nothing more than a replica of a CW 1 7/8 inch single layer leather belt that has been hot waxed. I have had all the belts for years and they are comfortable and I have less than 50 dollars in all of them.

Like running our country money is not always the measure of quality. Plastic belts will crack, steel lined belts will eventually wear through the leather. Double leather belts will hold up for a long time but are expensive and THICK. My belts will wear out also, but they did not cost me a hundred bucks apiece. I would rather spend that money on ammo, or guns.

Camera batteries dead so I could not get an image of what I am currently carrying Star Super on the cotton belt. But I have one of my FIE E15 revolver on it. Also an image of my S&W model 25 on the CW belt. When using a wide belt just don't use the belt loops, the belt will ride on the hips, and actually keep the pants up since the weight is not on the pants, but the hip.

P1010019_zpsrtjxkhjq.jpg

P1010014_zpsrqdibrut.jpg

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Shop the 2nd hand stores I have pick up some very nice 1.5 inch heavy leather belts at them for a couple bucks each.

Even if thy are to big they are easily cut down to size and new holes punched into them.

Last edited:

3FULLMAGS+1

Thanks for elaborating on the belts you use, Walkingwolf. Haven't bought anything yet. Almost forgot I posted here as I'm mostly a lurker on this board, visiting about every week......how shameful, right ?

Anyway, I've got three belts, all single layer leather and I've had them a long time, from before I started carrying in '06.....think I pd around $20 a piece maybe, can't remember.

Two were made at the same time by an amish friend, about 1 1/4" wide and they are about shot. The other is about 1 5/8''+.....made by the same guy..... and can only use it w/ jeans and is thicker than the other two belts, just bit wide for some of my dress pants.

1 1/2" will fit anything I'm going to have.

Before I bought another belt I was wanting to know what others used and not over spend more than nessesary.

I don't know that much about leather but always liked the ones I had and may stick with leather, as I can get them rather cheaply, just going thicker this time if poss. because I'm looking at going to a heavier gun plus all the other crap hanging on it.

Again, thanks for the reply.