• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

For black gun owners, bearing arms is a civil rights issue

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.theolympian.com/news/nation-world/national/article89861312.html

SNIP

WASHINGTON — July 15 2016

In February 2015, Philip Smith started a Facebook group to make space for the often-overlooked concerns of law-abiding, license-carrying gun owners who happen to be African-American.

Smith was tired of feeling conspicuous as the only black guy at the gun ranges he visited. Surely, he thought, there must be others out there, dealing with the same suspicions he faced when passersby glimpsed the Glock on his hip.

A year and a half later, Smith counts more than 11,000 members, representing all 50 states.

Smith’s forum reflects what researchers see as growing interest among African Americans in gun ownership. But becoming a black licensed gun owner is not a risk-free prospect, a fact brought to light this month by the police shooting of Philando Castile, who had a permit to carry a concealed weapon when he was shot in his car July 6, and by the presence at a Dallas rally of perhaps 30 marchers July 7 openly carrying their rifles. Dallas police mistakenly labeled a black licensed gun owner as a “person of interest” after gunman opened fire, killing five police officers.

Despite the championing in Congress of gun restrictions by black legislators, many African-Americans now see gun ownership as an important civil rights cause, in the spirit of abolitionist Frederick Douglass’ comment in 1867 that a man’s rights lay in three boxes: “the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box.” In African-American gun groups like Smith’s, members are expressing a mix of fear and defiance over the incidents.

. . .

“We have a lot of work to do,” Smith said. “We have to buckle down and work for full Second Amendment rights for African-American men and women. We work, we pay taxes and we’re not going to take this second-class treatment anymore. But one person can’t do it. It has to be done by a community.”

. . .

utbagpiper

Banned
Funny what the brain will do

As I read the title to this thread my brain inserted the word "powder" right after the word "black". I thought to myself, "How many WalkingWolfs are there out there carrying black powder guns....?"

Only upon reading it a second time did I realize my mistake.

I guess I just don't think of race first.

RKBA should be the great civil rights issues for every American, and especially for unpopular minorities of all kinds. As the Pink Pistols say, "Armed gays don't get bashed." It is to the benefit of RKBA for those other than the stereotypical, white, rural, male to be supporting RKBA.

Charles

since9

Campaign Veteran
Despite the championing in Congress of gun restrictions by black legislators, many African-Americans now see gun ownership as an important civil rights cause, in the spirit of abolitionist Frederick Douglass’ comment in 1867 that a man’s rights lay in three boxes: “the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box.” In African-American gun groups like Smith’s, members are expressing a mix of fear and defiance over the incidents.

That's good news!

“We have a lot of work to do,” Smith said. “We have to buckle down and work for full Second Amendment rights for African-American men and women. We work, we pay taxes and we’re not going to take this second-class treatment anymore. But one person can’t do it. It has to be done by a community.”

And we OCers are a part of that community. Let's help them however we can.

solus

Pardon me for asking what may be an "insensitive" question, but in light of the "civil rights" issue and the recent shootings, it makes me wonder if there are any statistics on this.

What I am curious about is legal/B] African-American carriers, such as Philando Castile, is this:
1 - What are their levels of completed education;
2 - What are their income levels;
3 - Where do they live (Inner city, suburbs, rural);
4 - What are their political affiliations;
and 5 - Why do they desire to carry (either OC or CC)?

not insensitive if the purpose of the question is to obtain knowledge to help rectify the situation:

* quote: White Americans are the racial majority. African Americans are the largest racial minority, amounting to 13.2% of the population. Hispanic and Latino Americans amount to 17% of the population, making up the largest ethnic minority. The White, non-Hispanic or Latino population make up 62.6% of the nation's total... unquote
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_ethnicity_in_the_United_States

1. 16-24 drop out rate by ethnicity is White: 5.1; black: 7.3; hispanic: 11.7 NOTE: "Status" dropouts are 16- to 24-year-olds who are not enrolled in school and who have not completed a high school program, regardless of when they left school. http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d14/tables/dt14_219.70.asp?current=yes

according to the Dept of Education, quote: U.S. students are graduating from high school at a higher rate than ever before...graduation rate hit 82 percent in 2013-1... the highest level since states adopted a new uniform way of calculating graduation rates five years ago. unquote http://www.ed.gov/news/press-releases/us-high-school-graduation-rate-hits-new-record-high-0

"The number of kids in this country who get to be juniors and seniors in high school and think that they’re on track to be successful in college, and they’re not even close, it’s heartbreaking," (Sec of Ed) Duncan told reporters after his speech. http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/da...ap-in-high-school-graduation-rates-is-closing

2. quote: According to 2014 US Census Data, the highest poverty rate by race is found among Blacks (26%), with Hispanics (of any race) having the second highest poverty rate (24%). Whites had a poverty rate of 10%, while Asians had a poverty rate at 12%. unquote Source: Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2014, U.S. Census Bureau
2a. quote:
In 2012, the average monthly participation (added for clarity: US means-tested assistance progrms) rate for Blacks, 41.6 percent, was higher than that of Asians or Pacific Islanders at 17.8 percent and nonHispanic Whites at 13.2 percent...( definition: people who received benefits from any of the following means-tested assistance programs:• Medicaid • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)2
• Housing Assistance • Supplemental Security Income (SSI) • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) • General Assistance (GA) )
http://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/publications/2015/demo/p70-141.pdf

3. quote:
There are 19 American cities with populations over 100,000 that have majority (over 50%) Black or African-American populations. These cities are located in the following 13 states: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia, as well as the District of Columbia. unquote https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._cities_with_large_African-American_populations

as to the living conditions of those blacks significantly affected by their poor SES see #2 above.

4. 4-6-2015_LEDE.png
http://www.people-press.org/2015/04/07/a-deep-dive-into-party-affiliation/

5. quote: The new research also suggests a paradox: While blacks are significantly more likely than whites to be gun homicide victims, blacks are only about half as likely as whites to have a firearm in their home (41% vs. 19%). Hispanics are less likely than blacks to be gun homicide victims and half as likely as whites to have a gun at home (20%). unquote
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...aphics-and-politics-of-gun-owning-households/

FT_14.07.10_Guns3.png

cite: see above

ipse

WalkingWolf

http://www.theolympian.com/news/nation-world/national/article89861312.html

SNIP

WASHINGTON — July 15 2016

In February 2015, Philip Smith started a Facebook group to make space for the often-overlooked concerns of law-abiding, license-carrying gun owners who happen to be African-American.

Good for him! If I didn't do facebook I would go there and welcome him to OCDO. He needs a pat on the back from the rest of us, maybe one of our facebook members will.

This is the only gun site I would welcome him to, the others are to biased towards hatred of blacks. One in particular, not only is racism present the mods even take part in it. I am amazed at the amount of racism among the gun community, and it only damages us by keeping voters away from our issues. Sheriff Clarke is a good example, a gun owner/lawman who is black, and a democrat will be voting for Donald Trump.

I ask those in the larger ethnic groups to rethink their bias, and work towards bringing us together. IMO it is our own fault that over 90% of a minority vote a certain way.

Here is the link to his site http://www.naaga.co/ since it is not facebook I sent him an invite to visit us, please join me in welcoming them.

Last edited:

solus

sidebar...
1. Do a google search for Philip Smith...gaggles of white folk show up
2. Do a google search for Philip Smith facebook...gaggles of white folk show up

did anybody notice there is no location for Philip smith mentioned nor any of the other individuals referenced in posted article?

things that make you go: hummm...

ipse

WalkingWolf

sidebar...
1. Do a google search for Philip Smith...gaggles of white folk show up
2. Do a google search for Philip Smith facebook...gaggles of white folk show up

did anybody notice there is no location for Philip smith mentioned nor any of the other individuals referenced in posted article?

things that make you go: hummm...

ipse

It took me a while to find him, Smith is a very common name. I finally used this search entry "Philip Smith gun group facebook" and it was the first hit. I used my wife's facebook to read his page, and then the link was there for their site.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

That's to be expected from reading OCDO correspondents that puke onto their keyboards and expect us to pick out their intentions.

WHOIS is a low level Internet protocol to reveal IP registration details, including the owner, address, admin e-mail.

?

WalkingWolf

And THIS is why we can never have a meaningful talk about race; your comment ITSELF reeks of exceptionalism.

Sorry you see it that way, the fact is, and it is a fact that over 90% of blacks vote for a progressive. Take away the ethnic origin there is no other reason than them being ostracized from society based on their ethnicity. We are all the same species, and we should be welcoming them, this is NOT a white only site.

Turbod'1

Sorry you see it that way, the fact is, and it is a fact that over 90% of blacks vote for a progressive. Take away the ethnic origin there is no other reason than them being ostracized from society based on their ethnicity. We are all the same species, and we should be welcoming them, this is NOT a white only site.

What site is other than BLATANT racists?

The real issue is, minorities (can I take it that you're Native American?) seemly use the PAST to justify their current state of affairs.

And example: I worked as armed security back in the day; well, one particular day a woman walked in with a shirt that said "No Snitchin" and I said to her: "That's part of the problem: if you won't ID a criminal, you're part of the problem and not the solution"... That said, that place was gang bullied, and I get it.

What I refuse to accept is that > I < am somehow responsible for their culture.

solus

And THIS is why we can never have a meaningful talk about race; your comment ITSELF reeks of exceptionalism.

turbod'1, which race are you referring to? Indy? tour de France? KY derby? American's cup?

and yes this is why we can never have meaningful discussions regarding our citizens' ethnicity, since it is in fact, your comment which reeks of exceptionalism in your misuse of terms since WW used appropriate words to articulate his view(s).

ipse

solus

So race doesn't exist outside of bikes and cars? That's the best you could come up with?

no it doesn't, thanks to the linguists...

no twasn't the best but i am on a public forum and my best would have you on your tippy toes frothing ~ trust me.

ipse

WalkingWolf

What site is other than BLATANT racists?

The real issue is, minorities (can I take it that you're Native American?) seemly use the PAST to justify their current state of affairs.

And example: I worked as armed security back in the day; well, one particular day a woman walked in with a shirt that said "No Snitchin" and I said to her: "That's part of the problem: if you won't ID a criminal, you're part of the problem and not the solution"... That said, that place was gang bullied, and I get it.

What I refuse to accept is that > I < am somehow responsible for their culture.

I won't post the name of the site in an open post, not all members are in that category, and the site does have it's merits. But the mods do not discourage racist remarks/posts and some even participate. IMO we all are responsible for society's woes, after all we are all part of society.

I like how you used the word culture instead of saying black, that is the kinda stuff that signals a problem. We are all humans, we share the same organs, our only difference is our outward appearance. The culture/black is not the way you assume because they are black, there are factors that have affected their culture for decades. Most politicians are Caucasian, and they were the biggest factor in their culture. WE elected these politicians.

I am around a lot of good black people, and they are good, honest, decent people. I have always believed that everybody gets treated the same, that includes young, old, male, female, short, tall, rich, poor, different ethnicity, and different professions.

If inviting them to our community bothers you, maybe you should take it up with the moderators, and owners.

I hope you never need a organ transplant and the only one available is from a person from that "culture".

Last edited:

Turbod'1

no it doesn't, thanks to the linguists...

no twasn't the best but i am on a public forum and my best would have you on your tippy toes frothing ~ trust me.

ipse

For a supposed philosopher, you seem to claim the high ground with your avatar and your
'old school' speak.

How much real world interaction have you had AND how much of such would you need to connect the dots?

fjpro2a

Come on, now!

For a supposed philosopher, you seem to claim the high ground with your avatar and your
'old school' speak.

How much real world interaction have you had AND how much of such would you need to connect the dots?

Define "old school." - Just kidding - Can't we all just get along?