Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new carry method for CCP-- May save your Life.

A new carry method for CCP-- May save your Life.

Hi Folks

For you folks here that sometimes conceal carry, in light of the recent killing of a licensed weapon carrier and just plain to many trigger LEO out on the streets, I suggest another way of carrying your CCP or CWP, take it out of the wallet, and find a way to wear it around your neck and tucked under your shirt... This method may save your life... Reaching behind yourself to retrieve your credentials to show said credential to a LEO could create a major incident similar to the one in Minnesota. Wearing it around your neck is a much easier way to show the credentials to LEO while keeping your hands in plain view to the trigger happy LEO... " Hands in plain view" will help keep you alive... Stay safe!

My .02
    Regards
    CCJ
    Last edited by countryclubjoe; 07-17-2016 at 01:57 AM.
    " I detest hypocrites and their Hypocrisy" I support Liberty for each, for all, and forever".
    Ask yourself, Do you own Yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by countryclubjoe View Post
    Hi Folks

For you folks here that sometimes conceal carry, in light of the recent killing of a licensed weapon carrier and just plain to many trigger LEO out on the streets, I suggest another way of carrying your CCP or CWP, take it out of the wallet, and find a way to wear it around your neck and tucked under your shirt... This method may save your life... Reaching behind yourself to retrieve your credentials to show said credential to a LEO could create a major incident similar to the one in Minnesota. Wearing it around your neck is a much easier way to show the credentials to LEO while keeping your hands in plain view to the trigger happy LEO... " Hands in plain view" will help keep you alive... Stay safe!

My .02
    Regards
    CCJ
    What happened to Philando Castile was tragic, but it doesn't really change protocol. If you haven't already produced the permit from your wallet before contact with the LEO, the proper method is to announce verbally that you are a permit holder and ask the officer how he would like for you to proceed. From there, just follow instruction. Where you retrieve your permit from isn't as important as getting authorization to retrieve it.

I disagree.

Except in a state requiring 'announcement', nothing good comes from speaking. Everything you say will be used against your interests in court. In a proper traffic stop there is no need to speak. One is required to produce your documentation of driving privilege as a condition of that privilege.

My state requires display of weapons documents on lawful demand of the cop, but no requirement to speak.

Rights unexercised are surrendered.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 07-17-2016 at 07:21 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyray9 View Post
    What happened to Philando Castile was tragic, but it doesn't really change protocol. If you haven't already produced the permit from your wallet before contact with the LEO, the proper method is to announce verbally that you are a permit holder and ask the officer how he would like for you to proceed. From there, just follow instruction. Where you retrieve your permit from isn't as important as getting authorization to retrieve it.
    He did announce, and that is when he was shot, the officer is making claims he reached for something, but his attorney says he was shot because of the presence of a gun. If he would have been reaching he would have been shot right away. Unless state law demands it, KYBMS!
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

I have not seen any proof that he had a CHL.
    Have seen no reports from any MN government that he did. Newspaper said 'a source' said he had one but I have seen no official confirmation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    I have not seen any proof that he had a CHL.
    Have seen no reports from any MN government that he did. Newspaper said 'a source' said he had one but I have seen no official confirmation.
    uh, er, gee HP...do you truly believe the nice MN officials would give credence to that fact which corroborates the dead man's legal standing?

you must be thinking there is transparency in the situation...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

sounds like it might have been granted some time back when he lived somewhere else in MN - like a former life. OTOH authorities might wait till winter when town w/b harder to burn down w 10' of snow.

“Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    uh, er, gee HP...do you truly believe the nice MN officials would give credence to that fact which corroborates the dead man's legal standing?

you must be thinking there is transparency in the situation...

ipse
    If he did not the nice people who run the PD would be screaming it from the rooftop. It was reported he had one, and informed, the police have not denied it.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    sounds like it might have been granted some time back when he lived somewhere else in MN - like a former life. OTOH authorities might wait till winter when town w/b harder to burn down w 10' of snow.

must be a lite winter then...only 10 feet...lol

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Also don't have the gun lying on your lap. Because you just might fit the description of an armed robbery suspect. And maybe you did rob the place and don't want to go to jail.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

State Researcher
    It seems clear that SA needs to include reading the demeanor of other armed individuals including police officers. If an officer is nervous, keep your hands visible and not moving and avoid doing anything to give him any reason at all to over-react.

Doing my best to reserve judgment until more facts are available. I've never had a dangerous encounter with the police. But it seems prudent to try to learn from others' experiences so as to minimize risk.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

When I got pulled over by motorcycle cop first of this year - 'possibly' exceeding posted speed limit one afternoon - was OC in belt holster.

Officer approached was relaxed, p'haps no PC other than speed, and maybe small NRA and 9/11 bumper stickers. Later found out from prosecutor he was wearing a video cam, which opened door for my deferred adjudication...

-Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    and, well, pretty much everything...
    Impact:
    chair
    water bottle
    computer keyboard
    computer monitor
    computer
    chair
    chest of drawers
    stereo speaker
    speaker stand
    television
    mirror
    mirror shards
    door
    hammer
    frying pan
    cook pot
    plate
    glass
    guitar
    drumstick
    brick
    anvil
    pry bar
    tire iron
    bolt cutters
    etc...

Strangulation:
    coat sleeve
    bed sheet
    guitar string
    baking twine
    550 cord
    tie-down strap
    tow strap
    chain
    shoe string
    electrical cord
    drapery cord
    vacuum cleaner hose
    luggage strap
    long sock
    stocking
    etc.

Poison:
    Well, I'm not going to go here, as I don't want to give anyone out there in cyberspace any ideas.

Explosives:
    Ibid.

The point is clear: Unless each and every person in the U.S. is relocated to straight jackets and rubber rooms, pretty much EVERYTHING ON THE PLANET can be used for "arms" i.e. an armament.

pen
    pencil
    paper (with eggs and spit, it can be molded into a shank)
    large splinter of wood
    wooden or metal shish kebob skewer
    spoon...
    etc...
    Last edited by since9; 07-22-2016 at 08:08 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

The critical flaw in the system is the obscene notion of 'crime prevention'.
    If you are not stopping an actual crime in progress, then any police act to 'prevent crime' is an improper excess of authority exercised against those who are not engaged in criminal acts.
    It's a guaranteed death-spiral into totalitarianism. The only way to genuinely prevent all crime is to prevent all unsupervised activity.
    It sounds like such a great idea -- who doesn't want to 'prevent crime'?
    But in practice, it becomes crimes by the state against non-criminal individuals. A license to dominate, to improperly exercise improper 'authority'.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I did see an open carrier in MN that had his permit clip onto his holster.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    I did see an open carrier in MN that had his permit clip onto his holster.
    In Missouri we no longer have the photo CCP, and we are required to show/produce a picture ID if the situation requires proof or presentation of a permit. So, I got a Non-Driver Id to go with my CCP. They reside back-to-back in a heavy duty ID lanyard/holder, that has a heavy, positive release to detach the holder from the lanyard. This allows me to carry around the neck, in the leg pocket of cargo pants/shorts, or in the vest pocket of a leather vest. I do usually just slip it over my head and beneath my shirt. It takes little effort to reveal the permit with hands in plain sight at the neck/head level.

I am familiar and comfortable with this system as I wore one for years to display my service ID/CAC.

Banned
    The law is that you can protect yourself. Life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness? Hear of those natural rights?

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    The critical flaw in the system is the obscene notion of 'crime prevention'.
    If you are not stopping an actual crime in progress, then any police act to 'prevent crime' is an improper excess of authority exercised against those who are not engaged in criminal acts.
    It's a guaranteed death-spiral into totalitarianism. The only way to genuinely prevent all crime is to prevent all unsupervised activity.
    It sounds like such a great idea -- who doesn't want to 'prevent crime'?
    But in practice, it becomes crimes by the state against non-criminal individuals. A license to dominate, to improperly exercise improper 'authority'.
    Cutting and pasting the same emphatic assertion, across 10 different threads starts to look like spamming.

And using slippery slope arguments and reducto ad absurdum are both bad logic.

There are many things police and other officials can do to "prevent crime" that are not anywhere close to an improper excess of authority.

Imposing proper penalties on convicted criminals to reduce their desire or ability to re-offend is obvious.

Police assisting neighbors to form and operate effective Neighborhood Watch Programs is not an excess of authority.

Police providing home security audits and education people on how to make their property less appealing to criminals, when requested by the individual, is not an excess of authority.

A police officer doing paperwork in the parking lot of an all night convenience store, a school, or other location is not an excess of authority (so long as the property owner has invited them to do that). But it can help prevent crime.

A proper show of police force can be the difference between protests remaining peaceful and getting way out of hand.

A police officer in his cruiser with his lights flashing can provide enhanced safety to road crews working in construction zones, while also increasing the safety of the driving public.

Yes, a lot of injustice can occur under the guise of "crime prevention." A lot of injustice and harm can also occur if cops are entirely reactive, rather than doing what can properly be done in a proactive manner.

Enough with the emphatic assertion of bumper sticker logic demanding all-or-nothing solutions.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk44 View Post
    ... reveal the permit with hands in plain sight at the neck/head level...
    You either have a smart cop, or you don't. There's not a whole lot you can do to protect yourself from the latter.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by utbagpiper View Post
    snippp...

Imposing proper penalties on convicted criminals to reduce their desire or ability to re-offend is obvious. showed over and over to be ineffective in prevention especially since incarcination in this country is a $63.8B/year.

Police assisting neighbors to form and operate effective Neighborhood Watch Programs is not an excess of authority. turning neighbours into snitches sounds like it works good...put up lights

Police providing home security audits and education people on how to make their property less appealing to criminals, when requested by the individual, is not an excess of authority hire someone else whom you can hold accountable if your property 'is vandalized' after said security audit.

A police officer doing paperwork in the parking lot of an all night convenience store, a school, or other location is not an excess of authority (so long as the property owner has invited them to do that). But it can help prevent crime. will be accused of bashing if i comment about this activity

A proper show of police force can be the difference between protests remaining peaceful and getting way out of hand. worked very well in dallas eh?

A police officer in his cruiser with his lights flashing can provide enhanced safety to road crews working in construction zones, while also increasing the safety of the driving public. the nice LEs and their agency love this duty as it is normally at least time and a half pay for the officer but the contractor is billed double time.

Yes, a lot of injustice can occur under the guise of "crime prevention." A lot of injustice and harm can also occur if cops are entirely reactive, rather than doing what can properly be done in a proactive manner.

Enough with the emphatic assertion of bumper sticker logic demanding all-or-nothing solutions.

Charles
    quote: The police of a state, in a comprehensive sense, embraces its whole system of internal regulation, by which the state seeks not only to preserve the public order and to prevent offenses against the state, unquote Law Dictionary: What is POLICE? definition of POLICE (Black's Law Dictionary)
    guess i missed the statement the nice LEs have to prevent anything for the citizen's of the state.

supreme court has ruled the nice LEs do not have to respond...and i believe any prevention activities is strictly accidental

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 07-22-2016 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    You either have a smart cop, or you don't. There's not a whole lot you can do to protect yourself from the latter.
    I agree with MAC.

Having only been stopped once or twice in several decades, it's not met the threshold of getting all the papers together in one place, like above the visor so you can just make one movement. But it make sense.

I carry my wallet in a chest pocket with a snap closure. But if a real BG wanted to be able to 'get the drop on' a LEO stopping him there are so many ways to do it.

IMO, LEOs are either too scared to be a traffic stop cop or they're not scared enough. I think there must be a majority who are 'thrill-seeker' personalities, though watching 'COPS' you don't really see that (is it scripted?).

I have no idea how female cops feel OK driving around ALONE stopping guys in cars, doing fishing. Of course a bullet knows no gender. Even with good SA, patience, good procedure and a vest it's got to be pulse-pounding to do that job.

Banned

The law is supposed to be unconcerned with trivial matters.

Speeding, no seat belts, etc...of individuals who cause no injury to anyone is trivial. No one should not be sitting on the side of the road waiting steroids to kick in.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post

The law is supposed to be unconcerned with trivial matters.

Speeding, no seat belts, etc...of individuals who cause no injury to anyone is trivial. No one should not be sitting on the side of the road waiting steroids to kick in.
    it is strictly a profit center for the agency/county...as mentioned previously...the Cherry Hospital mental hospital "campus security force' enforces speeding & seat-belt offenses, as well conduct DL stops on their small section of NC highways. all the fine money goes into their coffers.

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 07-22-2016 at 03:14 PM.

I keep my Registration and a copy of my insurance card in my car's paper's pouch in the drivers pocket of each of our cars. My drivers license, CHP and insurance card are the first things you see in my wallet. My pistol lives in the large zippered pocket of my messenger bag and my wallet in the small front pocket. If/when I am ever stopped, the interior lights go on, the pouch from the door goes on the dash and, if I can reach and get to it in time, the wallet goes on the dash then my hands go on the wheel and stay there. When the officer comes to the window, "Hello officer, I have a CHP and there is a pistol in my bag, how would you like me to proceed?" NOTE: The bag is on the seat to my right when I am alone, on the back seat where I can reach it from between the front seats when someone is with me. The zipper to the gun compartment is left open so the gun is easily reached but not easily seen (not wide open as shown but open the width of the top). It is in a retention holster affixed to an inner pocket. This has always made things go smoothly for me. 99% of the time, my gun remains untouched where it is, even if I have to get my wallet from the outside pocket. I do it S_l_o_w_l_y, carefully and where nothing is hidden. This has always served me well and been appreciated.

NOTE: Here in Louisiana you MUST inform any officer you have cause to come in contact with when you are carrying concealed that you are armed.

Last edited by HeroHog; 07-22-2016 at 03:31 PM.
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

Out in public, "Hello officer, I have a CHP and there is a pistol in my bag, how would you like me to proceed?" I will be in my wheelchair, bag will be fully zipped and at my front right. Again, if needed I get my wallet from the outside pocket. I do it S_l_o_w_l_y, carefully and where nothing is hidden. It has never been a problem.

This is my current method of open carry:

Last edited by HeroHog; 07-22-2016 at 03:33 PM.
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast