• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A new carry method for CCP-- May save your Life.

solus

The law is supposed to be unconcerned with trivial matters.

Speeding, no seat belts, etc...of individuals who cause no injury to anyone is trivial. No one should not be sitting on the side of the road waiting steroids to kick in.

it is strictly a profit center for the agency/county...as mentioned previously...the Cherry Hospital mental hospital "campus security force' enforces speeding & seat-belt offenses, as well conduct DL stops on their small section of NC highways. all the fine money goes into their coffers.

ipse

Last edited:

HeroHog

I keep my Registration and a copy of my insurance card in my car's paper's pouch in the drivers pocket of each of our cars. My drivers license, CHP and insurance card are the first things you see in my wallet. My pistol lives in the large zippered pocket of my messenger bag and my wallet in the small front pocket. If/when I am ever stopped, the interior lights go on, the pouch from the door goes on the dash and, if I can reach and get to it in time, the wallet goes on the dash then my hands go on the wheel and stay there. When the officer comes to the window, "Hello officer, I have a CHP and there is a pistol in my bag, how would you like me to proceed?" NOTE: The bag is on the seat to my right when I am alone, on the back seat where I can reach it from between the front seats when someone is with me. The zipper to the gun compartment is left open so the gun is easily reached but not easily seen (not wide open as shown but open the width of the top). It is in a retention holster affixed to an inner pocket. This has always made things go smoothly for me. 99% of the time, my gun remains untouched where it is, even if I have to get my wallet from the outside pocket. I do it S_l_o_w_l_y, carefully and where nothing is hidden. This has always served me well and been appreciated.

NOTE: Here in Louisiana you MUST inform any officer you have cause to come in contact with when you are carrying concealed that you are armed.

Bag_2.jpg

Last edited:

HeroHog

Out in public, "Hello officer, I have a CHP and there is a pistol in my bag, how would you like me to proceed?" I will be in my wheelchair, bag will be fully zipped and at my front right. Again, if needed I get my wallet from the outside pocket. I do it S_l_o_w_l_y, carefully and where nothing is hidden. It has never been a problem.

This is my current method of open carry:

speedyswheels.jpg

Last edited:

redhawk44

You either have a smart cop, or you don't. There's not a whole lot you can do to protect yourself from the latter.

I do not subscribe to your black/white generalization(s). What is your definition of a not so "smart cop".

There are certainly varying degrees of knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) of LEOs. I have spent my life making first impression judgements, and adjusted my actions and expectations accordingly. I will do what I think is advantageous to me, and, while an LEO is not there to be my friend, I always try to remember they are personalities and individuals, just like the rest of society.

I will do my part to make any encounter with an LEO, as non-adversarial and non-confrontational as my personal pride and conscience dictates. The roadside is not the place to argue your case. If the situation "goes south", through no fault of mine, I can live, or die, having done my part.

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

In Missouri we no longer have the photo CCP, and we are required to show/produce a picture ID if the situation requires proof or presentation of a permit. So, I got a Non-Driver Id to go with my CCP. They reside back-to-back in a heavy duty ID lanyard/holder, that has a heavy, positive release to detach the holder from the lanyard. This allows me to carry around the neck, in the leg pocket of cargo pants/shorts, or in the vest pocket of a leather vest. I do usually just slip it over my head and beneath my shirt. It takes little effort to reveal the permit with hands in plain sight at the neck/head level.

I am familiar and comfortable with this system as I wore one for years to display my service ID/CAC.

What I said.. This method may save your life...

Regards
CCJ

WalkingWolf

I do not subscribe to your black/white generalization(s). What is your definition of a not so "smart cop".

There are certainly varying degrees of knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) of LEOs. I have spent my life making first impression judgements, and adjusted my actions and expectations accordingly. I will do what I think is advantageous to me, and, while an LEO is not there to be my friend, I always try to remember they are personalities and individuals, just like the rest of society.

I will do my part to make any encounter with an LEO, as non-adversarial and non-confrontational as my personal pride and conscience dictates. The roadside is not the place to argue your case. If the situation "goes south", through no fault of mine, I can live, or die, having done my part.

^An intelligent safe way to carry ID.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I live in Washington State and we are not "required" to inform. That said.......I listen to the scanner, on occasion, and I hear people being pulled over for all manner of offenses. From the Pee Dee side, I hear the dispatcher say, "No warrants, active DL, concealed pistol license." The LEO already knows the owner has a CPL when he approaches. The last occurrence was my Sweet Baboo speeding past a motorcycle officer with her concealed and me openly carrying. We offered no conversation about firearms and the LEO did not bring it up.
It is my opine that it should not enter the mix. No need to muddy water unless it is required. It makes some nervous. YMMV

HeroHog

It is my opine that it should not enter the mix. No need to muddy water unless it is required. It makes some nervous. YMMV

If you are not required to notify and it won't be seen, I wouldn't say anything either. In my state, you can carry locked and loaded in your car any way you like without a permit except possibly concealed on your person (some people will argue that). Cops are not surprised if there is a gun in the console, glove box, under the seat or whatever. As long as they aren't a scared rookie and you don't act a fool, you are pretty good.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
No requirement to inform in MO and CCW will come up with the registered owner of the license plates.

I haven't been pulled over in the near decade that I've been carrying. But in most situations and states, required or not, I have decided I will inform just as a courtesy. Depending on the situation and how I'm carrying, verbalizing may not be the best path. Might just hand the cop my CCW with my DL & insurance. I've had the misfortune of interacting with some of the not good cops over the years too. Those are the exception situations where I would not say anything beyond what is strictly required. But then long before I carried I learned to put it in park and take my foot off the brake, keep my hands on the steering wheel and if night, turn on the dome light all before the cop gets out of the car. I met more than a few cops in my younger, more speedy days, and once I started doing that when pulled over I found that more often than not I got a warning. I like to think it was just a returned kindness for my helping him/her feel a bit more at ease.

As far as reaching for stuff, since I started carrying I have changed how I carry my IDs. I almost always carry right hip so now I carry my IDs & insurance card in a small credit card wallet in my left front pocket instead of my pre-carry days of in a regular wallet in my right rear pocket. That way I can keep my right hand on the steering wheel or where ever appropriate if on the street and only reach with my left, away from my sidearm, to provide requested info.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
My ID is locked in the console, with other paperwork. And it stays there. I don't need it outside of operating the motor vehicle anyway. Cash is a lot slimmer in your pocket when not stuffed in a wallet with a bunch of cards. It's quite liberating.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

My ID is locked in the console, with other paperwork. And it stays there. I don't need it outside of operating the motor vehicle anyway. Cash is a lot slimmer in your pocket when not stuffed in a wallet with a bunch of cards. It's quite liberating.

For the most part I agree, if I am not driving I carry no ID, though I do carry a couple credit cards. I do have to carry my serial number for my defib/pacemaker just in case something happens. It allows the hospital to communicate with my device wireless. I carry that card in a plastic holder in my shirt pocket, along with my DL if I am driving. Credit cards remain in a alum credit card case in my back pocket. There is no need to take it out unless I am buying something, so it is relatively safe there.

WalkingWolf

"DTI" is all well and good IF the LEO lets you tell tell them!
How many of you saw or remember the video of some "municipal officer" (aka "local yokel") filmed at a stop repeatedly shouting at the driver to "Shut up!" while the driver was trying to "inform". Then, when he found out about the driver's CCW, got even MORE bent out of shape as well as more foul-mouthed.

Yes in Ohio, the officer was fired, but I believe the courts forced the department to hire him back.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Put it in your trunk .... with all other docs (DL/Insurance card?etc.) ... pulled over? I need to go in the trunk ... open it, many guns fall out of course .. you'll both have a good laugh.

HeroHog

A sneaky trick the cops use here is to take your gun, unload it and keep it during whatever they stopped you for and then, when they give it back when all is done, they demand to put it in your trunk giving them a look in your trunk or a "free" partial search even though there is nothing in the law that gives them the right to do this.

davidmcbeth

Banned
A sneaky trick the cops use here is to take your gun, unload it and keep it during whatever they stopped you for and then, when they give it back when all is done, they demand to put it in your trunk giving them a look in your trunk or a "free" partial search even though there is nothing in the law that gives them the right to do this.

Who gives a .gov their gun?

Firearms Iinstuctor

a sneaky trick the cops use here is to take your gun, unload it and keep it during whatever they stopped you for and then, when they give it back when all is done, they demand to put it in your trunk giving them a look in your trunk or a "free" partial search even though there is nothing in the law that gives them the right to do this.

bug

HeroHog

Tell them the trunk lock is broken and they will have to lay it on the floor of the back seat.

Nope! They can put it in my hand, on the roof or on the trunk but they aren't getting a free poke around in my vehicle without RAS or a warrant.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Nope! They can put it in my hand, on the roof or on the trunk but they aren't getting a free poke around in my vehicle without RAS or a warrant.

But, they are free to possible harm the finish of your fine vehicle while now requiring you to exit your vehicle (that they wouldn't let you exit earlier "for your safety") so you can retrieve, gather your now loose rounds (blowing about in the wind from passing vehicles) reload your mag, possibly reassemble your firearm (that they field striped while they ran the serial number) then insert your mag into the firearm, jack a round into the chamber if you carry loaded, and then get back into your car. No thanks!

When I was last stopped for an alleged traffic infraction, when he asked to retrieve my firearm for "officer safety" I told him we were both safer with it remaining in my holster on my side with no one handling it and in the same breath I refused any searches or seizures of my property without a warrant. It stayed in my holster on my side.