Thread: Butler Co. sheriff urges civilian staff to carry weapons at work

Butler Co. sheriff urges civilian staff to carry weapons at work

One southwest Ohio sheriff is encouraging staffers with licenses to carry to bring their weapons to work.

In a memo sent to employees last week, Butler County Sheriff Richard Jones urged civilian employees and volunteers to carry their weapons at the sheriff's office and while operating any department vehicle away from headquarters.
    [ ... ]
    In the memo, Jones urged employees to plan their attire appropriately and carry their weapons discreetly when in public view.

The sheriff also reminded staffers to adhere to state guidelines for carrying concealed weapons when off department premises.

http://m.wlwt.com/news/butler-co-she...-work/40777018

So a police station is not a prohibited location?
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    --snipped--

So a police station is not a prohibited location?
    Jails and detention facilities, yes. Police stations, no.

Interesting in that Ohio is an open carry w/o permit/license state.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    There is a difference between permissive and prohibitive. Ohio law just says that a CCL does not authorize the conceal carrying in sheriff office.
    2923.126(B) A valid concealed handgun license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun in any manner prohibited under division (B) of section 2923.12 of the Revised Code or in any manner prohibited under section 2923.16 of the Revised Code. A valid license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun into any of the following places:

(1) A police station, sheriff's office, or state highway patrol station, premises controlled by the bureau of criminal identification and investigation, a state correctional institution, jail, workhouse, or other detention facility, an airport passenger terminal, or an institution that is maintained, operated, managed, and governed pursuant to division (A) of section 5119.14 of the Revised Code or division (A)(1) of section 5123.03 of the Revised Code;
    The sheriff authorizes his employees. He is not authorizing citizens with a CCL to carry in the sheriff's office.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    There is a difference between permissive and prohibitive. Ohio law just says that a CCL does not authorize the conceal carrying in sheriff office.

2923.126(B) A valid concealed handgun license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun in any manner prohibited under division (B) of section 2923.12 of the Revised Code or in any manner prohibited under section 2923.16 of the Revised Code. A valid license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun into any of the following places:

(1) A police station, sheriff's office, or state highway patrol station, premises controlled by the bureau of criminal identification and investigation, a state correctional institution, jail, workhouse, or other detention facility, an airport passenger terminal, or an institution that is maintained, operated, managed, and governed pursuant to division (A) of section 5119.14 of the Revised Code or division (A)(1) of section 5123.03 of the Revised Code;
    The sheriff authorizes his employees. He is not authorizing citizens with a CCL to carry in the sheriff's office.
    IMHO - "A valid license does not authorize" is not the same as being forbidden/illegal, though I agree with some of those.

Note that OC is not mentioned.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Jails and detention facilities, yes. Police stations, no.

Interesting in that Ohio is an open carry w/o permit/license state.
    The Ohio supreme court had to declare open carry constitutional to be able to regulate conceal carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    IMHO - "A valid license does not authorize" is not the same as being forbidden/illegal, though I agree with some of those.

Note that OC is not mentioned.
    There are other parts of the Ohio revised Code that specifically prohibits carry in jails, courthouses and other "sensitive places".

the sheriff, as senior management of the organizational business entity, has exercised his management prerogative to do what he feels is necessary to protect his property & employees!

no different if a bar is off limits to firearms, the owner/manager can 'allow' himself and employees ( possibly extended to select friends/customers?) to be armed.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain