Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clothing options for summer (concealed carry)

Question Clothing options for summer (concealed carry)

Hey all, I'm fairly new to concealed carry.. maybe going on a year total. I've found that I really like tucking shirts into my holsters for added concealability. Using a thin undershirt and than a regular tshirt on top. The problem with summer time, is... i'm getting too dang hot lol.

I'm wondering what you guys do? Just run a longer tshirt, or maybe there are undershirts designed to keep you cool in the summer?

(ah crap, just noticed this is an 'open carry' forum LOL. my bad.)
    Last edited by No_Smoking; 07-24-2016 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by No_Smoking View Post
    Hey all, I'm fairly new to concealed carry.. maybe going on a year total. I've found that I really like tucking shirts into my holsters for added concealability. Using a thin undershirt and than a regular tshirt on top. The problem with summer time, is... i'm getting too dang hot lol.

I'm wondering what you guys do? Just run a longer tshirt, or maybe there are undershirts designed to keep you cool in the summer?

humm...welcome to the nation's foremost OC site...

membership, normally do not worry about length of our undershirts, etc...

now being from OR and its myriad of carry laws between the state's cities you have my sincere best wishes trying to solve your clothing needs to stay legal...

keep carrying and stay cool...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Many of us here, while preferring to OC, do have concealed carry permits for those times when we must for various reasons go CC.

We discuss both of these methods frequently - it is not a violation of the Forum Rules.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-25-2016 at 12:42 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by No_Smoking View Post

Eh. I live in 110 degree heat pretty much every day and if I CC and still want to carry my full sized handgun, I do so. I don't wear baggy pants or a oversized shirt. Main thing you should think about is your holster. Plenty of holsters out there than can conceal your firearm very well even with form fitting clothes. I normally carry at the 3 but just got a new holster and am going to try carrying it the appendix. Seems to do very well there even though I'm 198lbs and wear a form fitting shirt and fitting jeans.

If you tuck your shirt in and tuck it into your holster or around it, yea that can help. I used to do that with my first holsters that were a little big. You just have to understand if you carry certain handguns it'll print because of the size. Some just can't be completely concealable which isn't a HUUUUUGE deal imho.

I wear Hawaiians shirts or Guayaberas for hot weather dress. If I wear a tee-shirt then it doesn't matter.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

The hotter it gets the more I open carry. solves a lot of the problems one has with trying to CC.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

About the only place I conceal is church and off site school functions. I absolutely HATE having my shirt untucked, so it is Hawaiian shirts Sunday morning in the summer, if I must, and a sport coat and jeans the rest of the year with a OWB holster. Tried various tuckable IWB but with the 226 it's just too much of a lump on my side to realistically be not noticed. Having said that people really do not much pay attention to what is going on around them, in my opinion. If I do get asked about it, I just say it's my colonoscopy bag, wanna see it? No takers yet.

Prefer open carry by leaps and bounds. Plus, I get to talk firearms with people every once in a while. Sunday after church went out to breakfast then grocery shopping. No mention was made about firearm at either place. I only noticed one guy all bugged eyed at Walmart, but would say only one or two other people even noticed. It's kind of liberating/scary/weird/pick your own word, walking around a store like Walmart OC and intentionally watching people for reactions and noticing that nobody even knows there is an OC firearm 3-4 feet away from them.
    Last edited by Wstar425; 07-28-2016 at 09:26 AM.

My understanding Oregon is a open carry state with a permit. OC solves the problem of dressing for hiding a gun. CC buy a smaller gun, bigger clothes.

There is always the option of a conceal carry man purse.

It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Here in hot sunny summer Dallas at the office when dressed nicely I CC OWB under my sportcoat.
    Now that Texas allows OC (w. a permission slip) in summer when not wearing a coat (YES) I OC - w shirt tucked in.
    Really have had few notice/comment, but to enhance my svelte figure a sun absorbing black shirts camouflage my non-descript black gun & holster.

Since you are in Oregon, a lot of our members, have resorted to the Hybrid Organic Carry - HOC - where they purposefully ingest more calories than they need, in order to produce organic cover, in which they can confidently, and naturally, secrete various types of weapons about their body mass.... This more natural approach allows them to cut down on the layers of clothes they need to wear, and thus be secure in their person, but yet reduce their carbon footprint by not needing to wash as many clothes as more insensitive ecologically damaging people.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by Wstar425 View Post
    ... I absolutely HATE having my shirt untucked, ... I just say it's my colonoscopy bag, wanna see it? No takers yet. ...
    I'm with you on the shirts. #1 reason to OC, in my book. It just makes that much more sense in the summer heat.

Might stave off a few more weirdos if you call it a colostomy bag.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I'm from Virginia. Very likely much warmer than Oregon. OC is best here.

Nemo

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I'm with you on the shirts. #1 reason to OC, in my book. It just makes that much more sense in the summer heat.
    +1

I have to conceal at work (untucked polo over tshirt) and it drives me nuts.

This is likely obvious to many here, but not all shirt materials are "built the same" with regards to hot weather comfort. Some synthetic blends breathe, others, even though thin and seemingly lightweight, are stifling. I like all-cotton the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
    This is likely obvious to many here, but not all shirt materials are "built the same" with regards to hot weather comfort. Some synthetic blends breathe, others, even though thin and seemingly lightweight, are stifling. I like all-cotton the best.
    I prefer white cotton t shirts with a pocket in the summer. Of course though when I was a tad pole there was only one color for t shirts.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
    I thought I did, too, and I have some nice 100% cotton work polos. But then, wow, I tried the latest and greatest performance fabrics, and what a difference. My cotton ones haven't been worn in over a year now that I found these 5.11 performance polos.

http://www.511tactical.com/performan...eeve-polo.html
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I thought I did, too, and I have some nice 100% cotton work polos. But then, wow, I tried the latest and greatest performance fabrics, and what a difference. My cotton ones haven't been worn in over a year now that I found these 5.11 performance polos.

http://www.511tactical.com/performan...eeve-polo.html
    There is no question but that the new fabrics are a major step up for hot weather wear.

I saved my old cotton polos for cooler weather and the layered look - short sleeve shirt over a long sleeved tee or mock turtle, mix or match colors too.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Might stave off a few more weirdos if you call it a colostomy bag.
    Ha!! I knew my word didn't seem quite right. You are correct, sir!

Got caught in a brief rain shower on my dog walk last night. Did the "Virginia tuck?" last half block home, but ended up cleaning and lubing anyhow. Got soaked.

Got caught in a brief rain shower on my dog walk last night. Did the "Virginia tuck?" last half block home, but ended up cleaning and lubing anyhow. Got soaked.
    That is why God created umbrellas.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    That is why God created umbrellas.
    "The remedy is the umbrella holster. A leather band roughly two inches in diameter and one inch across, the umbrella holster is fixed to a sturdy clip that can easily be affixed to any belt or waistband. The holster, set at a convenient 45 degree angle, keeps an 8 to 12 inch umbrella securely and conveniently on hand for those unexpected showers."
    http://braincanvas.org/the-umbrella-holster

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    "The remedy is the umbrella holster. A leather band roughly two inches in diameter and one inch across, the umbrella holster is fixed to a sturdy clip that can easily be affixed to any belt or waistband. The holster, set at a convenient 45 degree angle, keeps an 8 to 12 inch umbrella securely and conveniently on hand for those unexpected showers."
    http://braincanvas.org/the-umbrella-holster
    Interesting but I prefer a 36" umbrella though, it acts both as a cane, self defense tool, or an umbrella.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Clothing options

Many of us here, while preferring to OC, do have concealed carry permits for those times when we must for various reasons go CC.

We discuss both of these methods frequently - it is not a violation of the Forum Rules.
    Greetings all.

I am one of those that definitely prefers to OC when I can. That move from North Carolina where OC was within my rights and now being in South Carolina where they soil their pants if your shirt rides up to far. I am having to readjust my wardrobe to ensure I have shirts that cover far enough down to cover my sidearm.....

Michael

Interesting but I prefer a 36" umbrella though, it acts both as a cane, self defense tool, or an umbrella.
    But that is not unlike the discussion of LG carry. Hardly properly holstered either.

But that is not unlike the discussion of LG carry. Hardly properly holstered either.
    I sorta knew that was coming, but could not find any rules against LUOC.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

I sorta knew that was coming, but could not find any rules against LUOC.
    Only a few people can do it with such grace and aplomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    The hotter it gets the more I open carry. solves a lot of the problems one has with trying to CC.
    This!

I spent 8 years dressing around my gun. Now that we have much better laws in MO for OC, I dress for the weather and then OC/CC based on what I am wearing. There are obviously some exceptions to that based on where I am going, doing and who I am with. Not going to walk into a business meeting with a stranger OC for example.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast