Thread: 2 Dead, Up to 16 Injured at teen Club Blu Shooting in Fort Myers, 0030 Monday

2 Dead, Up to 16 Injured at teen Club Blu Shooting in Fort Myers, 0030 Monday

Two people were killed and as many as 16 others were injured after a person opened fire during an event geared toward teenagers at Club Blu in Fort Myers, Florida.

Police first responded to the scene at 12:30 a.m. early Monday morning where, "officers located several victims suffering from gunshots wounds," according to a statement released by the Fort Myers Police Department. The injuries ranged from minor to life threatening, according to police, who also confirmed that all of the victims were transported by Lee County Emergency Medical Services to area hospitals.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/dead-14-inj...ry?id=40846132

Somewhere in the Munich-Sonbolly shooting commentary is the suggestion of external direction to young people as easier victims.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 07-25-2016 at 06:09 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    And the beat goes on.

13, 14, 15 yo in a club at 12:30 AM? Seems like a permissive parenting problem - not that anyone deserved to get shot for that.

Let's see what excuses/reasons are made for the shooter(s).
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Does no one deserve the Darwin effect?

As an adolescent I avoided many activities 'cause I knew it was gonna hurt real bad when I hit the ground. I never sport parachuted, for instance, but I did free rappel 1,100 feet off the Rostrum in Yosemite with lots of incremental preparation.

Teen Swimsuit Glow Party - for 13 y.o. at 0100

FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) - A shooting at a Florida nightclub early Monday morning killed two people and wounded as many as 17, police said. The attack apparently occurred at a teen party, billed as a "Swimsuit Glow Party," at Club Blu in Fort Myers, according to local media.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/usandwo...388104262.html

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Does no one deserve the Darwin effect?

As an adolescent I avoided many activities 'cause I knew it was gonna hurt real bad when I hit the ground. I never sport parachuted, for instance, but I did free rappel 1,100 feet off the Rostrum in Yosemite with lots of incremental preparation.
    In the context it seems like you're asking if none of these kids deserved to get shot because they were out too late, and maybe should have known it was a dangerous environment. If that's your question, the answer is no, no one deserves that.

It's odd in any case to use "deserve" here when talking about the Darwin effect, since the effect has more to do with natural amoral consequences than judgment or punishment. If a person leaps from a bridge, certainly they will fall, but it isn't that they "deserve" to succumb to gravity, it's simply that they will.

The scenario here, where there is a human attacker, is starkly different. Even if the attack was perfectly predictable and a person attended the party anyway, they do not "deserve" to be attacked. Predictability of wrongdoing doesn't offer it justification.
    Advocate freedom please

Some have defined the terrorists' win as when we alter our lifestyles out of consideration of the possibilities of terrorism. Clearly the terrorists have have not won in Ft. Myers.

The only alteration in my lifestyle of which I am aware is redoubling my effort to ALWAYS be armed. Good people ought to be armed as they will, with wits and guns and the truth. God Bless US Bitter Clingers.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    In the context it seems like you're asking if none of these kids deserved to get shot because they were out too late...
    Indeed it does. It's beyond the pale even for him.
    Even if there was some justification to fuel the judgmental attitude, deserving to be killed is ridiculous.
    But IMO there isn't.
    It seems like it was a structured teen event. Parents knew where they were and what they were doing.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

A post on Club Blu's Facebook page Monday morning said the shooting happened as the club was closing and parents were picking up their children. The post also said there was armed security at the event.

Hospitalized victims ranged 12 - 17 y.o.

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    It's beyond the pale ...
    Interesting turn of phrase, particularly in the present context.
    Etymology
    From pale ‎(“jurisdiction of an authority, territory under an authority's jurisdiction”), suggesting that anything outside the authority's jurisdiction was uncivilized.

The phrase was in use by the mid-17th century, and may be a reference to the general sense of boundary, but is often understood to refer specifically to the English Pale in Ireland. In the nominally English territory of Ireland, only the Pale fell genuinely under the authority of English law, hence the terms within the pale and beyond the pale.

The boundary of the Ashdown Forest (a royal hunting forest) was also known as the Pale, consisting of a paled fence and a ditch inside, to allow deer to jump in, but not back out.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 07-25-2016 at 08:25 AM.

If this is terrorism it would seem that the culprits are learning that children are unarmed. Only answer I can see is banning large groups of children, I am sure Hillary will have that as top of the agenda.

They are claiming it was not terrorism, but that has been claimed before. Maybe it was gang related. I am curious to the armed security, if they exchanged gunfire, or did anything.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 07-25-2016 at 11:27 AM.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    In the context it seems like you're asking if none of these kids deserved to get shot because they were out too late, and maybe should have known it was a dangerous environment. If that's your question, the answer is no, no one deserves that.

It's odd in any case to use "deserve" here when talking about the Darwin effect, since the effect has more to do with natural amoral consequences than judgment or punishment. If a person leaps from a bridge, certainly they will fall, but it isn't that they "deserve" to succumb to gravity, it's simply that they will.

The scenario here, where there is a human attacker, is starkly different. Even if the attack was perfectly predictable and a person attended the party anyway, they do not "deserve" to be attacked. Predictability of wrongdoing doesn't offer it justification.
    Unless this was a personal attack, the attacker would have adjusted to a different venue, and different time.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

slighted adolescent got parents firearm and ...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    --snipped-- .....culprits are learning that children are unarmed. Only answer I can see is banning large groups of children.......
    What would the Israelis do?

Seems to me that they would maintain a secure perimeter and be better prepared to respond.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    What would the Israelis do?

Seems to me that they would maintain a secure perimeter and be better prepared to respond.
    according to news media, the facility provided, quote: a at least eight armed guards were there for security. "There was nothing we could do ... a car rolled up and just started shooting." unquote.

unfortunately, it appears on the surface this was a drive by shooting ~ gang related? (shades of the 60's sharks and jets notwithstanding)

Five people were killed and at least 40 more were wounded in shootings across Chicago between Friday evening and Monday morning.
    http://abc7chicago.com/news/5-killed...icago/1441596/

two men were killed and at least eight other people have been wounded in Chicago shootings from Saturday afternoon to early Sunday, police said. A 25-year-old man was fatally shot in the head in the city’s Fernwood
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...723-story.html

life goes on... mourning the dead and dying in our cities.

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 07-25-2016 at 12:59 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    And the beat goes on.

13, 14, 15 yo in a club at 12:30 AM? Seems like a permissive parenting problem - not that anyone deserved to get shot for that.

Let's see what excuses/reasons are made for the shooter(s).
    Actually seems as if they were just the victim of criminal activity.

When I was that age I was crusin' the mean streets of Chicago until dawn routinely.

Studying the night life of tree frogs of course .. strictly for science.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Actually seems as if they were just the victim of criminal activity.

When I was that age I was crusin' the mean streets of Chicago until dawn routinely.

Studying the night life of tree frogs of course .. strictly for science.
    or working? (working the slips of course) big al your boss?

east side per chance?

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 07-25-2016 at 03:39 PM.

Whole thing has sounded like gang activity from nearly the beginning and as davidmcbeth wrote, that evidence seems to be growing.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    or working? (working the slips of course) big al your boss?

east side per chance?

ipse
    You must mean the Heights ... LOL Still gambling places there.