• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Oregon

rampitec

Dear fellows,

sorry, I know this was discussed numerous times. I'm living in CA and I'm going to OR to spend some time in state and national parks, plus some wilderness. I know these areas are mostly trees and occasionally bears, so I want to carry my .45 handgun. I have no license (though I'm legally owning my guns) and I do not even have a green card yet (though I'm a legal alien). In CA carrying is generally prohibited to me (as well as to the most of citizens), so I'm new to it here is US, but I definitely feel I'd better have something better than a knife and fork if I meet a bear. After reading through many posts here I got an impression I can legally carry my handgun open and loaded when in a forest. I realize I will have to leave my gun behind if I go to a bar, visitor center, or basically any building intended for a human being. I will also keep it in the trunk in a city, OR has a good beer anyways. But do I get it right, besides these considerations, if the gun (or its part) is visible on my body, I'm outside of a city or village, any public school, courthouse, my own car, or a dumpster for that matter, I can legally carry it in the OWB holster and loaded? Even in Multnomah county?

So my way of operation supposed to be: when in the forest, look for any sign posted about illegal firearms, if not put the holster on and take the gun out of the trunk. If I'm about to enter a dwelling, give the gun away to my wife to wait me outside, do my "business", put the gun back to my body and go away to be safe and legal?

Sorry for being dumb again, but this free country scares me to death with all that harsh felony and misdemeanor threats, yet, I fear bear more than a cop.

P.S. I know neither of you dear fellows are lawyers and neither have any responsibility, legal or other. Also I know I had to ask my personal attorney for a responsible answer :) Does not that apply for any forum for that matter, or basically anything I'm not paying for?

P.P.S. So far in my life I had much better results with irresponsible forum answers rather than with legal or paid advice. Neither cost me a time in prison though, only some time and money.

Last edited:

mjones

Dear fellows,

sorry, I know this was discussed numerous times. I'm living in CA and I'm going to OR to spend some time in state and national parks, plus some wilderness. I know these areas are mostly trees and occasionally bears, so I want to carry my .45 handgun. I have no license (though I'm legally owning my guns) and I do not even have a green card yet (though I'm a legal alien). In CA carrying is generally prohibited to me (as well as to the most of citizens), so I'm new to it here is US, but I definitely feel I'd better have something better than a knife and fork if I meet a bear. After reading through many posts here I got an impression I can legally carry my handgun open and loaded when in a forest. I realize I will have to leave my gun behind if I go to a bar, visitor center, or basically any building intended for a human being. I will also keep it in the trunk in a city, OR has a good beer anyways. But do I get it right, besides these considerations, if the gun (or its part) is visible on my body, I'm outside of a city or village, any public school, courthouse, my own car, or a dumpster for that matter, I can legally carry it in the OWB holster and loaded? Even in Multnomah county?

So my way of operation supposed to be: when in the forest, look for any sign posted about illegal firearms, if not put the holster on and take the gun out of the trunk. If I'm about to enter a dwelling, give the gun away to my wife to wait me outside, do my "business", put the gun back to my body and go away to be safe and legal?

Sorry for being dumb again, but this free country scares me to death with all that harsh felony and misdemeanor threats, yet, I fear bear more than a cop.

P.S. I know neither of you dear fellows are lawyers and neither have any responsibility, legal or other. Also I know I had to ask my personal attorney for a responsible answer :) Does not that apply for any forum for that matter, or basically anything I'm not paying for?

P.P.S. So far in my life I had much better results with irresponsible forum answers rather than with legal or paid advice. Neither cost me a time in prison though, only some time and money.

The best answers possible to your questions on the forum are here:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?35648-Loaded-Firearm-Carry-Ban-Cities
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?77231-Oregon-OC-Pamphlet

rampitec

Thanks! I think I've got my answer, even though I do not like it. The short quote from one of these threads summarizes it all: a non-resident of Oregon does not have their 2nd Amendment right.

Besides the fact I have no CCL, it looks like I might have troubles getting it in OR, being a non-citizen. Most if the reliefs are for the CCL holders in OR. Even then, but much more without the number of contradictory and complicated ordinances in different places make it practically a nightmare to simply do what is legal and granted. Add here policemens who are confused (willingly or not) as well, and that completes the picture.

I probably could do that, but then instead of doing what I wanted to do on my vacation I would fight for my rights. Not that it is bad, but that is not really why I'm going to OR and not what friends of mine traveling with me would expect.

The other take away from that reading is that I was considering OR a place to relocate from CA. Probably NV or AZ are better though. There are many considerations, but gun laws is one if them. OR was better in my mind. Thank you people for collecting all of that info and thank you mjones for the relevant links.

rampitec

Check out http://handgunlaw.us/ and click on Oregon if you haven't already.

Thanks! I've seen that before, but it's always good to refresh memory. The bottomline is still the same, it is good to have a CCL, and so far I do not have an easy way to do it. Without a license local authorities can make a life of carrier really hard.

BTW, I was really surprised to see such discrimination for US citizens who were not born on US soil. Time will pass and if nothing happens I will get my blue passport. Yet I see I'm going to be a second class citizen, and not only in terms that I cannot be a president ;) Not that I'm upset, but really surprised.