• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is pocket carrying considered Open Carry?

twoskinsonemanns

Thus one could conclude he's not serious...about almost everything.

This is ridiculous! Can none of you remember what it was like to be excited about something and not necessarily have money or experience to fit in with the Kimber crowd? FFS How about offering help with a side dish of understanding and welcome. Jesus Roosevelt Christ on a stick!

WalkingWolf

Never ask a question that you may not like the answer.

No matter what we tell the OP it will no matter in the court of street justice. IMO pocket carry is dangerous, and just does not make sense if the intent is to OC, but that is my opinion. How a person carries is their business, and their responsibility to deal with the fall out.

solus

Well I never said the OP was young now did I. Please try to keep up. And don't put words in my mouth.
If I had been forced to defend myself in penny's I was perfectly capable (outside the 3-4 minutes my jeans were on the Dressing Room floor while trying on new slacks).
And sure I will stick with what I know. I know the way my 380 sits in my pocket all lonesome. I know that it had the safety on which is very unusual for any gun I carry and I would have to deal with it. And I know how to draw it, having practiced several times before I left the house.
But even still I enjoy the education I get here at OCDO. I appreciate all the advice given and try to implement anything useful anytime I can. Whether it come from ol dusty crodgity fuksticks or young stupid headstrong asshats. Either way I use what is best for me.

let me check what you actually stated...

Not really. It was my only intention to encourage a little courtesy and long sufferance to new members seeking help from crodgity ol fuksticks who get kicks from belittling young new gun owners.

snipp...

WOW, lookie there...the word i supposedly put in your mouth~ YOUNG being used under your forum tag today at 0434PM while in context talking about the OP!!

how did you state it, oh ya, quote: Please try to keep up. unquote.

and lookie there ya even got another opportunity to practice your play ground insults...good for you.

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Was the "handle" visible and sticking out of your pocket.

This is the only handgun of which I am aware that may appropriately be described as having a "handle"..........a broomhandle Mauser C96.
MauserC96prototype1.jpg

"The first C96s were pure, albeit unorthodox, handguns—a box magazine in front of the trigger, a longer barrel and the namesake grip that to some eyes is shaped like a broom handle. It came with six, 10, or 20 round magazines and, because the muzzle velocity was so high, the gun was “approved” out to almost a 200 foot maximum effective range."
http://www.guns.com/2012/01/26/a-sweeping-history-of-the-mauser-c96-broomhandle-pistol/

davidmcbeth

Banned
Is the rule that any part of the gun is view-able then its OC? Then put goofy long odd shaped handles that would poke out of a pocket or tassels attached to the gun... would these be OCing?

Hence my viewpoint that CC / OC are both natural rights .. otherwise debates occur ... while sounding reasonable, they really are academic in nature as your RKBA covers both OC and CC.

Maverick9

This is ridiculous! Can none of you remember what it was like to be excited about something and not necessarily have money or experience to fit in with the Kimber crowd? FFS How about offering help with a side dish of understanding and welcome. Jesus Roosevelt Christ on a stick!

Apparently, you, being a well-meaning poster here, do not know 'trolling' on the part of this short-term member when you see it.

Had a long-term or even more than 20 posts member asked this, OF COURSE, they would get a detailed and concerned helpful reply.

But again, if you REALLY wanted to know the answer to this kind of a question the POOR OP could have posted a picture, because obviously, he/she has access to a computer, might even own one.

Heck, I could make a holster out of duct tape - what makes you think a person who posts like kind of a 'jerk' deserves handling with kid gloves. HAD YOU taken the time to read MY posts, you'd have seen that I am NOT a ridiculous poster but that I offer kind and helpful and detailed advice.

So, go stick it in your ridiculous pocket, my fren. :D

twoskinsonemanns

Apparently, you, being a well-meaning poster here, do not know 'trolling' on the part of this short-term member when you see it.

Had a long-term or even more than 20 posts member asked this, OF COURSE, they would get a detailed and concerned helpful reply.

But again, if you REALLY wanted to know the answer to this kind of a question the POOR OP could have posted a picture, because obviously, he/she has access to a computer, might even own one.

Heck, I could make a holster out of duct tape - what makes you think a person who posts like kind of a 'jerk' deserves handling with kid gloves. HAD YOU taken the time to read MY posts, you'd have seen that I am NOT a ridiculous poster but that I offer kind and helpful and detailed advice.

So, go stick it in your ridiculous pocket, my fren. :D

Well I admit I've looked dumb defending people who have turned out to be trolls before. It's my natural tendency to give people the benefit of the doubt. But being humiliated before internet strangers has never left me damaged so I continue.
Do you remember when new members were greeted with warm welcomes and patience? It's been a while.

HeroHog

Some states clearly define Open Carry, others, not so much.

Louisiana has generally accepted carrying a handgun so it is identifiable as a handgun to the average observer:

https://scholar.google.com/scholar_...ker+311+So.+2d+863&hl=en&as_sdt=2,37&as_vis=1
311 So.2d 863 (1975)
STATE of Louisiana
v.
James C. FLUKER.
No. 55657.
Supreme Court of Louisiana.
April 24, 1975.
The appropriate test to be applied in prosecutions for illegal carrying of weapons is whether, under the facts and circumstances of the case as disclosed by the evidence, the manner in which defendant carried the weapon evinced an intent to conceal its identity.

Another state, don't remember which, stipulated that it had to be identifiable as a gun from 3 angles (ie: front, back, side). It is definitely something you will want to thoroughly investigate in any state you carry in.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Virginia statute:

§18.2-308. Prohibits the carrying of any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or any weapon of like kind by any person hidden from common observance about his person. Any of the enumerated weapons shall be seized and forfeited to the Commonwealth. A weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon’s true nature.

Example: wearing a belt buckle pistol would require a CHP.

WalkingWolf

IMO in most states if the gun is not clearly visible as a gun it is not OC. Why take the chance, depending on the gun Fobus holsters are not expensive.

HeroHog

PLEASE, if you choose to OC, get a holster with some Serious Retention that isn't super easy for a potential gun snatching attempt.

WalkingWolf

PLEASE, if you choose to OC, get a holster with some Serious Retention that isn't super easy for a potential gun snatching attempt.

Personal choice, and personal responsibility. Fobus holsters are a very tight holster, so there is retention. Holsters with thumbbreaks are usually easy to defeat. Holsters with sometimes confusing devices may not work when under stress. So it all boils down to the user. So far the elusive gun snatch is just a anti OC hyperbole.

OC for ME

And those that start with the posted attitude of "Y'all are twits" tend to get the chilly welcome. If that wasn't the OP intended attitude to start with then I'll welcome his revision on how he greets the group!

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
Taking umbrage to a mirage...interesting.

utbagpiper

Banned
Well I admit I've looked dumb defending people who have turned out to be trolls before. It's my natural tendency to give people the benefit of the doubt. But being humiliated before internet strangers has never left me damaged so I continue.
Do you remember when new members were greeted with warm welcomes and patience? It's been a while.

+1

And thank you for your articulate defense of your position. You've expressed my thoughts better than I could, which is why I have not previously posted to this thread.

It doesn't cost anything to give a new poster here the benefit of the doubt and to gently educate rather than to excoriate or belittle. A sincere, but ignorant newbie might be greatly benefited if received warmly such that he remains open to the experience and expertise that gathers here. A troll, or someone who won't be educated, will expose himself beyond question soon enough.

It is common to read Blackstone's Formulation of "Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer.” It seems too many who demand that government uphold this standard in matters of life and death, are unwilling to uphold it on an internet forum when the question of trolls might be in play.

I believe it is better for 10 trolls to get a warm welcome than for one sincere, but ignorant or inarticulate newbie to be run off. The trolls will expose themselves without question and can be run off--or appropriately ridiculed--once the doubt is removed. The newbie, once run off, will probably never return and is likely to speak poorly of the site to other gun owning associates.

Charles

Last edited:

The Truth

This question has such a simple answer...

Save up a little while longer and don't carry until you have a holster of some kind. Just wear a holster. It's safer and in my opinion more effective. Problem solved.