• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Countering The Three Worst Arguments Against Gun Control

utbagpiper

Banned
Motor vehicles are severely "regulated" as to the safety functions/devices. Should we regulate firearms in such a fashion? Should you get a ticket for not having your gats safety on? What about those gats without a manual safety? How do we know that the gat is safe? Yearly safety inspection? Yearly "emissions" test to be sure it operates safely?

First of all, the mature and honest reader would immediately recognize my post as a rhetorical device for countering the inanity of the gun grabbers who suggest that guns should be regulated like cars. It is not an actual suggestion to treat guns just like cars.

Still, I think my overarching point remains. In many regards guns and RKBA are subjected to far more restrictive laws than are cars. The contrary claim from gun grabbers is just wrong.

You might note that guns are among the safest devices we own. In a nation of 320 million persons and probably that many privately owned firearms, how many are injured by a firearm actually malfunctioning (as opposed to user error)? What true safety measures could be imposed that are not already standard features on modern guns? So-called "smart gun" technology doesn't count as true safety as its clear intent and effect is to render guns less reliable, or to reduce user errors, not to prevent malfunctions. Guns don't malfunction, and when they do, their most common failure mode is to fail to fire rather than to fire when they shouldn't.

Also note that motor vehicles are subjected to annual inspections only if they are to be operated on public roads. Nobody (in government) gets to inspect my cars that are used only on private race tracks, or my private property, or even on public lands that are not public roads (eg ATVs or OHVs).

I don't actually own any Gattling guns or Thompson Subguns. But if using "gat" rather than firearm or gun makes you feel better, continue doing so.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gat

Old slang, meaning gun. Came from shortening Gattling gun to just gat. Was used during the prohibition era to name any gun, but specifically the thompson submachine gun, aka The Tommy Gun.

Charles

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
That is an overly broad statement.
What is an, "annual vehicle inspection?"

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Maybe like MOT in the EU ... a safety inspection, annually required? Some commie states have this. Make no doubt....they violate the 4th amendment !

utbagpiper

Banned
That is an overly broad statement.
What is an, "annual vehicle inspection?"

Of course it is an overly broad statement. We talking about countering gun-grabber inanity claiming that cars are more heavily regulated than guns. Not only is there little rational basis for comparing cars and guns (or airplanes or children's toys), a decent case can be made the guns and RKBA are subject to far more restrictions than are cars and driving. Broad statements, sweeping generalities, emotional appeals, and other rhetorical devices are perfectly fair game when countering the stupidity or outright lies of the gun grabbers.

But, to answer your question about inspections:

In some States, vehicles are subject to an annual safety inspection as part of registration requirements.

In some parts of some States (those with poor air quality), there is also an emissions test to be sure the vehicle is not creating excessive pollution.

Sometimes these tests are done annually, sometimes every other year.

There are States that do not require either.

Charles

utbagpiper

Banned
Ugg. You made me read it, his self-serving twaddle.

...sorry...

Both of you should really get over yourselves.

The guy who makes a dozen posts a day consisting of links to crap he read on the internet, in the social lounge has very little room to talk about "self-serving twaddle."

If you don't like something, don't read it. If you've got personality issues, ignore, or grow up as needed.

Last edited: