Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I required to notify passenger of a dash cam?

Am I required to notify passenger of a dash cam?

I've been driving for Uber and Lyft for a while now. I have a dash cam with front and rear facing cameras in my car. Am I required to verbally notify passengers that they are being recorded?
    I have small stickers on the camera and on the windows that say "Audio\Video recording in progress". The issue there is, I drive mostly at night and nobody see's them in the dark. Out of 500ish rides, I have only had two people, in the last week, get upset because I didn't tell them and get their permission to record them.
    Uber and Lyft both say follow state laws, so no help there.
    I thought I read somewhere that if its obvious that you are recording, no notice is needed. I can't remember where that came from, attorney general's opinion maybe? If that's the case, the thing is pretty obvious. Its big, has a red and green flashing light on it, you cant miss it. Especially at night.
    I guess the real question is, are my stickers good enough, or do I need to verbally announce the recording?
    And, yes, I have read through all of RCW 9.73.

Depends on the state laws in Washington, I would say no since taking a taxi is not considered private. If you have what is termed a private conversation then it might require it. My recommendation would be put a sign on the dash that the passenger can read, that would fulfill your obligation to notify.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

this is a stretch...however, RCW 9.73.030 talks about the recording of 'conversations'
    quote: (b) Private conversation, by any device electronic or otherwise designed to record or transmit such conversation regardless how the device is powered or actuated without first obtaining the consent of all the persons engaged in the conversation. unquote

olde 2012 discussion seems to bear out my initial assessment: http://community.lawyers.com/forums/t/122677.aspx

see big bend CC policy paragraph 2.3 & 2.3.1 http://www.bigbend.edu/wp-content/up...as-2-23-15.pdf

bbcc flat out stated their cams do not record audio...

i am unable to find anything in RCW regarding video surveillance statutes.

hope that assists your decision making

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RCW
    RCW 9.73.030 Intercepting, recording, or divulging private communication—Consent required—Exceptions.
    (1) ...it shall be unlawful for any individual... to ... record any:
    (b) Private conversation ... without first obtaining the consent of all the persons engaged in the conversation.
    (3) ...consent shall be considered obtained whenever one party has announced to all other parties engaged in the communication or conversation, in any reasonably effective manner, that such communication or conversation is about to be recorded or transmitted: PROVIDED, That if the conversation is to be recorded that said announcement shall also be recorded.
    It appears that you need to be quite clear that they are being recorded. I do not know if video-only is included in your law. I snipped it for relevancy and added an underline to the key word, but now you know where to go if you want to make sure I didn't snip something that affects you.
    Last edited by MAC702; 08-01-2016 at 11:02 AM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

It does record audio. I am fully aware of RCW 9.73.030. There are stickers in and on the car stating that there is audio and video recording in progress, a total of 4 of them, on the dash cam itself, and on all three door windows used by passengers. My question is, is signage enough to satisfy the notification requirement in RCW 9.73.030?

Reading trough the RCW again I missed this tidbit before:

(3) Where consent by all parties is needed pursuant to this chapter, consent shall be considered obtained whenever one party has announced to all other parties engaged in the communication or conversation, in any reasonably effective manner, that such communication or conversation is about to be recorded or

I would venture to say that a sticker or sign would be reasonably effective.
    Last edited by J1MB0B; 08-01-2016 at 11:25 AM.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    NOTICE: By entering this vehicle you consent to the recording of all conversation, private or public.

I would plaster this notice on the windows, dash and back seat.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J1MB0B View Post
    It does record audio. I am fully aware of RCW 9.73.030. There are stickers in and on the car stating that there is audio and video recording in progress, a total of 4 of them, on the dash cam itself, and on all three door windows used by passengers. My question is, is signage enough to satisfy the notification requirement in RCW 9.73.030?

(3) Where consent by all parties is needed pursuant to this chapter, consent shall be considered obtained whenever one party has announced to all other parties engaged in the communication or conversation, in any reasonably effective manner, that such communication or conversation is about to be recorded or

Yes, signage is notice.

This is a public business transaction. As such passengers (customers) have no reasonable expectation of privacy.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post
    This is a public business transaction. As such passengers (customers) have no reasonable expectation of privacy.
    i am sure somewhere attached to this tidbit knowledge was stored is a cite somewhere which lends credence to the information.

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Depends on the transaction, a doctors exam is a business transaction. I would not consider a transaction inside of a vehicle public. Sometimes inside of a building may not be public. Recording from outside a vehicle would be legal, IMO, private conversation within a vehicle no. It is very possible that business may be conducted by electronic device, phone, or in person that is private. When hiring a contractor for a service there is an expectation of privacy.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 08-01-2016 at 01:16 PM.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Banned
    (3) Where consent by all parties is needed pursuant to this chapter, consent shall be considered obtained whenever one party has announced to all other parties engaged in the communication or conversation, in any reasonably effective manner, that such communication or conversation is about to be recorded or transmitted: PROVIDED, That if the conversation is to be recorded that said announcement shall also be recorded.

Going further on the statue .. you must record that you are recording. So "consent" includes notification if notification is recorded.

Looks like you'll need to record you telling them that the camera is running and will record.

It goes state by state ... usually all telephone recordings must be consented to (federal law) but face to face ? Vast differences in states to it being OK and the criminal/civil aspects of recordings.

Of course, IANAL .. and advise you to seek out further case law and other issues ... maybe contact your legislature and have the law amended to exclude vehicle cams (if not already?).
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 08-01-2016 at 01:20 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    (3) --snipped--

It goes state by state ... usually all telephone recordings must be consented to (federal law) but face to face ? Vast differences in states to it being OK and the criminal/civil aspects of recordings.
    Virginia is a 'one party consent' state and you are one party.

There are other states with similar laws.

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/virginia-recording-law
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Depends on the transaction, a doctors exam is a business transaction. I would not consider a transaction inside of a vehicle public. Sometimes inside of a building may not be public. Recording from outside a vehicle would be legal, IMO, private conversation within a vehicle no. It is very possible that business may be conducted by electronic device, phone, or in person that is private. When hiring a contractor for a service there is an expectation of privacy.
    Doctors exams are covered under HIPPA.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

And they would still be covered if there was no HIPPA. The reception area of a lawyers office is not covered under HIPPA, but is public, any conversation or payment done in this area is private. Anytime there is a private conversation for any reason, and one uses technology to record the conversation they IMO are in violation of the law. A passenger could be conducting business while en route, or could be having a business conversation while en route. It would be wise to make sure the passenger was notified of the recording, or face a very bad lawsuit.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

There is no such thing.

See HIPAA

divorce lawyers would love to get hold of video/audio recordings of their client's partners traveling to clandestine romantic interludes.

ipse

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    divorce lawyers would love to get hold of video/audio recordings of their client's partners traveling to clandestine romantic interludes.

ipse
    Except he is not required to share the recordings.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Except he is not required to share the recordings.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
    hummm, subpoena comes immediately to mind...then individual is required to respond to the judiciary.

ipse

Quote Originally Posted by J1MB0B View Post

Yep.

I'm not so sure that I agree.

Going further on the statue .. you must record that you are recording. So "consent" includes notification if notification is recorded.

Looks like you'll need to record you telling them that the camera is running and will record.
    I think the signage suffices.

Consent under federal law is required by only one party. FBI agents frequently record their sole consent prior to entering into and recording an undercover activity or clandestine meeting, but do not need nor seek the consent of the other party(s).
    Rev. Robert Apgood, Esq.

A right cannot be lost by exercising it. McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 3025, 130 S. Ct. 3020, 3021, 177 L. Ed. 2d 894 (2010) (citing Near v. Minn., 283 U.S. 697 (1931)).

Although IAAL, anything I say here is not legal advice. No conversations we may have privately or otherwise in this forum constitute the formation of an attorney-client relationship, and are not intended to do so.

Thanks for the input guys, looks like I m sticking with the window stickers.
    If someone wants to subpoena the footage, they better do it quick. It records on a loop in 2 minute increments, so unless I decide to keep some of it, each 2 minute file gets erased and a new one takes its place evey 7-8ish hours.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rapgood View Post
    <snip>

Consent under federal law is required by only one party. FBI agents frequently record their sole consent prior to entering into and recording an undercover activity or clandestine meeting, but do not need nor seek the consent of the other party(s).
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2511

I stand corrected ... subsection (d) of linked code ^^

(d) It shall not be unlawful under this chapter for a person not acting under color of law to intercept a wire, oral, or electronic communication where such person is a party to the communication or where one of the parties to the communication has given prior consent to such interception unless such communication is intercepted for the purpose of committing any criminal or tortious act in violation of the Constitution or laws of the United States or of any State.

Glad this appears to be settled.

On a footnote....
    When I was an Army Field Recruiter, I had many, many telephone conversations with people who would hear what they wanted and not necessarily what I actually said. Army regulation said I could not use recordings of conversations. I recorded every gorram thing. ALL conversations were recorded. In Army courts, I could use a written transcript of the conversation only, as evidence. That is unless my word was rejected to "memory". At that time, the recording could be brought in to verify me and my recollection, and not being used as other evidence. Worked for me.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    Glad this appears to be settled.

On a footnote....
    When I was an Army Field Recruiter, I had many, many telephone conversations with people who would hear what they wanted and not necessarily what I actually said. Army regulation said I could not use recordings of conversations. I recorded every gorram thing. ALL conversations were recorded. In Army courts, I could use a written transcript of the conversation only, as evidence. That is unless my word was rejected to "memory". At that time, the recording could be brought in to verify me and my recollection, and not being used as other evidence. Worked for me.
    What kind of cases did you participate in relating to your work as a recruiter ? Guy's complaining about the lack of steak being served at dinner (or steak and eggs at breakfast)? Hey, its the Army, not the Air Force !

Centurion
    What kind of cases did you participate in relating to your work as a recruiter ? Guy's complaining about the lack of steak being served at dinner (or steak and eggs at breakfast)? Hey, its the Army, not the Air Force !
    Thread drift? or just off the doggone rails?

And it wasn't even funny!
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 08-03-2016 at 12:57 PM.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Well,,,

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    Thread drift? or just off the doggone rails?

And it wasn't even funny!
    yes,,, thread drift... But

yes,,,, that was funny!!

I was only in the Navy,, worked on a sub tender,, we got all the food to replenish the subs,,, the best stuff!!!
    We got the best of the best stuff they were supposed to be getting,, they still got lots of the best stuff..
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast