• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Am I required to notify passenger of a dash cam?

amlevin

They are the men's dept. (making some feel better)

So what would you call this unit in A-Stan?

pb-101209-women-06.photoblog900.jpg

(pic of US Marines with the FET 1st Battalion 8th Marines, Regimental Combat team II pose at their forward operating base on Nov. 17, 2010 in Musa Qala, Afghanistan.)

Appears that the "Men's Department has become more "Unisex".

mnrobitaille

Dash cams & body cams/videography of events

Do LEOs inform that they are recording when making a traffic stop? Does a person using their cell phone to take video of a concert/sporting event ask for consent before they start recording?

Our local City Council used to tape record all public meetings, but now do not as there have been some legal issues involved with those recordings.

Almost all places that do video/audio surveillance have signage stating that they are present & in use & that signage is consent enough. Although I do believe, however, there are some retail/wholesale outfits that have surveillance packages on premises that do not have any signage.

Do Uber & Lyft allow for the recording of users per their contractual agreements?

rapgood

Doesn't the presence of a "third party" negate any expectation of privacy. Does "Attorney/Client Privilege" still stand if the conversation is held in the presence of others???

Isn't that pretty much the same?
The presence of a third party MAY negate the expectation of privacy... unless the third party is also represented by the attorney.

I would think that if 2 folks are discussing something in front of another then privilege is gone. Really go to google scholar and start doing some searches.

There is generally no expectation of privacy in a conversation between two people in front of another. Neither is there an expectation of privacy in anything one person says to another, even when not in the presence of a third person UNLESS some other privilege exists (attorney-client, doctor-patient, priest-penitent, accountant-client, numerous others). Do not confuse an "expectation of privacy" with a "privileged communication." While frequently related, they are not the same thing, and different rules control the ability to disseminate the information divulged in the communication.

What if you are a pro se litigant? Do you think attny privileges apply to a non-lawyer?
Assuming you mean the "attorney-client privilege," no (assuming that you are a pro se litigant). The privilege does not belong to the attorney. It belongs to the client.

My question was really directed to the attorney who said he wasn't so sure that privilege was lost.
Oh, I didn't say that the privilege wasn't lost. Decklin prefaced his reasoning that that the expectation of privacy was lost because it was a "public business transaction." It wasn't. The hypothetical described a PRIVATE business transaction.

Last edited: